IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

OH NO! Superficial Scratch on New IS Atomic Silver

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 02:24 PM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH NO! Superficial Scratch on New IS Atomic Silver

So I'm only a week into my car and my son carrying his hockey net caused a very shallow scratch on the car, so shallow that after I wiped it down you cannot see it unless you get really close, and I mean close.

From what I can tell, it did not get past the paint and only got through some of the clear coat. What's the best way to go about repairing this scratch? Would polishing it do the trick?

I'm considering taking it to a local detail shop here in oakville to see if they can simply buff it out. I can barely feel the scratch with my finger. Nonetheless, it was a big bummer to see that happen. Needless to say, the hockey net has found a permanent new home on the side of my house.

Thanks
Old 09-20-14, 02:37 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagstyles
So I'm only a week into my car and my son carrying his hockey net caused a very shallow scratch on the car, so shallow that after I wiped it down you cannot see it unless you get really close, and I mean close.

From what I can tell, it did not get past the paint and only got through some of the clear coat. What's the best way to go about repairing this scratch? Would polishing it do the trick?

I'm considering taking it to a local detail shop here in oakville to see if they can simply buff it out. I can barely feel the scratch with my finger. Nonetheless, it was a big bummer to see that happen. Needless to say, the hockey net has found a permanent new home on the side of my house.

Thanks
I have used Meguiars ScratchX with great results. Rub briskly with a microfiber towel against the grain of the scratch. Keep rubbing until the white stuff turns oily. Repeat a few times as necessary. After you wipe it all off, apply some sealant and you should be good to go!
Old 09-20-14, 04:24 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Scratch X 2.0 can fix or hide most of the fine scratches but do use very fine microfiber cloth. It's basically polish and if you rub too hard it will actually introduce new scratches.
Old 09-20-14, 04:37 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Scratch X 2.0 can fix or hide most of the fine scratches but do use very fine microfiber cloth. It's basically polish and if you rub too hard it will actually introduce new scratches.
Scratch X 2.0 is a diminishing abrasive. As it changes from "white" to oily consistency, it stops abraiding and smoothly polishes the surface. So, proceeding in a machine like fashion with some pressure is indicated. Yet, as dojoman implies, common sense should prevail. If the scratch is very deep and you keep punishing the paint surface after the oily consistency dries and/or after a few repeated applications, you may go through the clear coat.
Old 09-22-14, 05:21 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Thanks guys. I may just take it to a local detail shop here in my area to have it looked at. You really can't see the scratch unless you put your face practically to the door. It's an extremely shallow scratch.

Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated.
Old 09-22-14, 06:51 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I feel your pain, the day after I brought my new atomic silver home from the dealer I noticed that it had a scratch all the way from the front drivers side tire to midway down the front door. I am certain it was done at the dealership but can't prove it (it was raining when I picked it up so I didn't get a good look at it in good light at the dealer.

I used some scratch remover and while I can still see it if I get very close it is no longer noticeable.
Old 09-22-14, 07:15 AM
fifaref2
Driver School Candidate

What was cost for repair
Old 09-22-14, 10:35 AM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by dojoman
Originally Posted by CtSFox
Scratch X 2.0 is a diminishing abrasive. As it changes from "white" to oily consistency, it stops abraiding and smoothly polishes the surface. So, proceeding in a machine like fashion with some pressure is indicated. Yet, as dojoman implies, common sense should prevail. If the scratch is very deep and you keep punishing the paint surface after the oily consistency dries and/or after a few repeated applications, you may go through the clear coat.
Excellent advice above. Scratch X 2.0 is a VERY useful product for both the professional detailer and the average car owner. It's not very expensive and pretty easy to find. The only thing I can add is that sometimes Scratch X 2.0 leaves the surface slightly cloudy. When this happens I usually break out a finer polish like Griot's Garage Machine Polish #3 which brings the surface back to full sheen. If you don't want to go that route I imagine you could continue to apply Scratch X 2.0 using lighter pressure with a 100% cotton cloth. That should also get the surface back to full sheen.