IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Came out of the grocery store only to find....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 09:00 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
I stopped by my shop today, will be a 2.7k fix (1.3k for the scuffed headlight). Definitely will need to go through insurance now, I'm hoping I can get the store to pull the other guy's license plate info from the security cam footage
You are being ripped off and a new one lol. Go to two or three other shops and get more quotes brother. Should not cost that much.
Old 09-20-14, 02:25 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
You are being ripped off and a new one lol. Go to two or three other shops and get more quotes brother. Should not cost that much.
Thanks I checked as well, I'm going to check a few other shops today
Old 09-20-14, 03:57 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Agree with getting more quotes. On my 2IS, I've had a cracked rear bumper cover and rear reflector light replaced and painted new for $1300. Your bumper is intact and only requires sanding and repainting. ~300-400$ max.

As for the headlight, some can expertly buff out scratches avoiding the full headlamp module replacement.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-14, 12:49 PM
cupofjoe
Driver School Candidate

Try bringing it to an auto-body place. I was hit just like you, and the owner of the shop basically said one of his guys will try to polish it out. It worked. He didn't charge me anything. I gave the worker $40.

If that won't fix it, go through insurance. Your parked car was hit. Thats not an accident, its a property damage claim. Depending on where you live, they should not raise your rates for it. You would still be responsible for your deductible.
Old 09-20-14, 01:54 PM
amorales
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cupofjoe
Try bringing it to an auto-body place. I was hit just like you, and the owner of the shop basically said one of his guys will try to polish it out. It worked. He didn't charge me anything. I gave the worker $40.

If that won't fix it, go through insurance. Your parked car was hit. Thats not an accident, its a property damage claim. Depending on where you live, they should not raise your rates for it. You would still be responsible for your deductible.
Agreed, it doesn't look deep in the pics, looks minor. I dont know how bad it is really from the pics but wow you are getting Fd in that quote! leave that shop and yelp them for being rip offs lol.
Old 09-20-14, 05:42 PM
mnm27mnm
Driver

Originally Posted by theoryguy
So I went to buy groceries and came back to find that some jerk scratched up my left front fender and rear body panel. The best part is that when I went to the police station across the street they told me me to call 911. So I called 911 and it took almost 3 hrs for them to respond. When I went back to the police station to check on my request an officer told me to go a file a citizen's accident report myself which my insurance discouraged me from doing. Finally the police arrived and it was there was the same office that told me to fill out a citizen's accident report. My tax dollars at work

I'm hoping I'll be able to pickup the police report tomorrow and then find the guy that did it from the security cam footage. It would really suck to have to pay for this out of pocket.

Isn't this consider a hit and run? Since he didn't leave you any information and left the scene. That's a felony.
Old 09-21-14, 07:49 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mnm27mnm
Isn't this consider a hit and run? Since he didn't leave you any information and left the scene. That's a felony.
Whoa, let's get a grip. You aren't going to get a felony conviction for this. Owner needs to work through the system and move on. Gun and felony talk is just trash talk.
Old 09-21-14, 10:21 PM
mnm27mnm
Driver

I thought it was a felony for a hit and run but it's only a felony if someone gets hurt.

Last edited by mnm27mnm; 09-21-14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 06:23 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Whoa, let's get a grip. Gun and felony talk is just trash talk.
LMAO, i think you misinterpreted. but you gave me a good laugh this morning. thanks.

Originally Posted by mnm27mnm
I thought it was a felony for a hit and run but it's only a felony if someone gets hurt.
yeah i think you only get fined for a hit and run. but if someone was hurt/injured, or attempted assault (tried run over someone with car) then i think you're charged with a felony.
Old 09-22-14, 07:02 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

People just plain suck! I don't have any advice for repair but I do wonder if a clear bra would have saved the paint from any damage?
Old 09-22-14, 07:07 AM
fifaref2
Driver School Candidate

I hate idiots and parking lots are full,of em
Old 09-22-14, 08:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Guys knock off the personal comments immediately. Link, your first thought was the correct action to take, I'm disappointed you reconsidered (post removed).
Old 09-22-14, 02:40 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wednesday
People just plain suck! I don't have any advice for repair but I do wonder if a clear bra would have saved the paint from any damage?
Was wondering about the same thing
Old 09-22-14, 03:02 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

I am sorry to see this happen to you or anyone for that matter. I know in South Florida people are not considerate especially when so many cars are leased.

Maybe I should have lease instead of buying so I don't have to bare the pain of those pics.
Old 09-24-14, 12:49 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
So I went to another shop today and they quoted me $800 (even said they could polish out the scratches on the headlight). The shop is a bit far away so I'm going to try a place a bit closer to home tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to pay out of pocket at this point, I kind of feel like if I went through insurance I would get killed by the $500 deductible and the coverage hike I'd see next billing cycle.

Quick Reply: Came out of the grocery store only to find....