IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Car temperature for a car wash

Old 09-18-14, 10:08 AM
tiffskiee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS1911- thanks for more info. Didn't know the trunk had a technical name for it! I've seen that name when browsing the forums. I'll be sure to check them out!

Hermes- how hot is hot? I attempted to wash my car last weekend but only got thru one wheel... I let the car cool down after a drive for about 45mins - 1hour but didnt realize the wheel was still hot... I had already sprayed it with Sonax full effect and did a quick scrubbing before rinsing it off.

AdvanSLF- Yeah, I was unaware of how damaging the car wash at dealerships are until I was handed the keys and started to drive home. Door handle had black residue, inside was dustier than when I took it for a test drive, and my back windshield was very cloudy. I've been viewing vids & reading articles for the past 2 weeks so hopefully I got the technique down. I even have sticky notes on my products so I know what i'm suppose to do.

kmanpete24- how long does it take you using that method? Also, when you do the wheels last, wont the dirty stuff just get flung back onto your car?

Chria89a- do you have a lot of time to wash your car in the morning? I have to get up at 6 for work and my day usually ends around 10PM... dont think I can manage waking up for that. I dont have to wake up until 9-10AM on weekends but those extra shuteye hours help
Old 09-18-14, 11:23 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmanpete24
After washing the car i use the left over wash solution for the wheels with the wheel brush and a microfiber towel specifically for my wheels.
This is actually the worst thing you can do, especially if you use a raccoon brush, that crap will fly everywhere. then you would have to wipe down your fenders again which is redundant..i think it would be more effective and efficient if you washed your wheels first.

Originally Posted by IS1911
I watched that video above and I don't like Gary Dean's method at all. Also, for those of you who may be wondering that is NOT the two bucket method even though he is using two buckets.
you nailed it right on the head, this is NOT the two bucket method. this is one of the worst methods i've seen.

also, just speaking generally to anyone who thinks pressure washers are bad, they're not bad if you know how to use them. obviously you wouldn't put the tip of the nozzle shooting out water an inch away from car with a 3k psi pressure washer, if you do, then you should spray your own foot for a few minutes first until your brain kicks in. i have a 1700 psi washer and i use the 45 degree spray angle tip and stand about 3-4 feet away. its good enough to wash off the crap without effing up the paint. if yours is more powerful then just stand a little further away from the car.. simple as that.