IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ride quality, "standard" vs. F-Sport

Old 09-13-14, 12:27 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride quality, "standard" vs. F-Sport

As part of your purchase process, did you drive both a "standard" IS 250 vs. an F-Sport? Would you mind elaborating on the ride quality and handling differences between the two?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-14, 02:12 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you for me the f sport is actually a better ride.

Whenever I bring mine in for service and get the loaner car, I can't believe how much better mine feels. F sport is more tight, and for some reason I find it handles bumps and pot holes smoother. Makes no sense but it's what I find.
Old 09-13-14, 02:58 PM
Obscene14
Driver

Originally Posted by Reeladdict
I can tell you for me the f sport is actually a better ride.

Whenever I bring mine in for service and get the loaner car, I can't believe how much better mine feels. F sport is more tight, and for some reason I find it handles bumps and pot holes smoother. Makes no sense but it's what I find.
I found the same thing. The suspension with the lower profile tires rides better than the car with the higher profile tires. I was really surprised. I really noticed the difference when going over RR tracks. The car is more composed. The non F-Sport bounced a bit and jittered some what. Lane changes are crisper too.
Old 09-13-14, 04:35 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i found the opposite. the F Sport was way more bouncy than the regular IS.
Old 09-13-14, 04:44 PM
MRJJP
Driver School Candidate

Default Tighter ride

Seems to follow the road surface better. Less floating and really takes a stance in the corners. F Sport is a go!
Old 09-13-14, 05:52 PM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the Sport + ride of my F sport but never use it because I can't deal with the mileage penalty of eighth gear lockout... any suggestions?
Old 09-13-14, 08:37 PM
IS1911
Driver

I drove the IS 350 F-Sport but purchased the standard IS 350. I'll get to why in a moment. I found the bolsters in the F-Sport did an excellent job of keeping me really stable in the seats during spirited cornering but for a daily driver I preferred the ride and the more understated look of the standard IS 350. I'll apologize in advance if this next part insults anyone but I felt the F-Sport package was a little too "boy racer" for me. I've owned some really high end sports cars including a Ferrari and a Porsche (both purchased brand new) and I'm completely over the whole street racer/"look at my hot car" thing. This time around I wanted something that splits the difference between power, comfort and practicality without drawing too much attention. I got really tired of strangers approaching me at gas stations and parking lots wanting to talk about my car . . .“Hey Dude what did that ride set you back?” That gets really old after a while. But getting back to the IS F-Sport the coolest feature is really the LFA style meter but if it decides to give up the ghost after the warranty you are looking at a $2000 bill minimum to put it right.
Old 09-13-14, 08:53 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish the Luxury package come with AVS for the occasional time you want to hit some curves
Old 09-13-14, 09:08 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Fsport in general is better because you have modes to choose, In Normal mode ride is really comfortable and you can change it if you want sporty a little solid suspension.
Old 09-13-14, 10:22 PM
AndreaL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS1911
I drove the IS 350 F-Sport but purchased the standard IS 350. I'll get to why in a moment. I found the bolsters in the F-Sport did an excellent job of keeping me really stable in the seats during spirited cornering but for a daily driver I preferred the ride and the more understated look of the standard IS 350. I'll apologize in advance if this next part insults anyone but I felt the F-Sport package was a little too "boy racer" for me. I've owned some really high end sports cars including a Ferrari and a Porsche (both purchased brand new) and I'm completely over the whole street racer/"look at my hot car" thing. This time around I wanted something that splits the difference between power, comfort and practicality without drawing too much attention. I got really tired of strangers approaching me at gas stations and parking lots wanting to talk about my car . . .“Hey Dude what did that ride set you back?” That gets really old after a while. But getting back to the IS F-Sport the coolest feature is really the LFA style meter but if it decides to give up the ghost after the warranty you are looking at a $2000 bill minimum to put it right.
How do you like your Lexus compared to your Ferrari and Porsche?
Old 09-14-14, 10:54 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

I know where you're coming from, my dad has owned various luxury and sport vehicles like Porsches/Aston Martins and others as well, and when I am driving them, my biggest pet peeve is people approaching me asking me how much the car cost. It still happens with my Lexus from time to time, but not nearly as much.
Old 09-14-14, 11:09 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand how you feel about the F-Sport package, seeing as how F-Sport is Lexus's attempt to attract younger buyers.
Old 09-14-14, 11:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
The Fsport in general is better because you have modes to choose, In Normal mode ride is really comfortable and you can change it if you want sporty a little solid suspension.
The OP was asking about the 250. The IS250 F Sport does not have AVS, so there is not the additional Sport + mode found on the IS350 F Sport.
Old 09-14-14, 02:49 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

This is all pointless anyways. It's all personal preference. Just drive both and choose what you like best.
Old 09-14-14, 02:56 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
I understand how you feel about the F-Sport package, seeing as how F-Sport is Lexus's attempt to attract younger buyers.
Maybe, but I am over 60 and have a F-Sport. I came from BMW and really appreciate the handling and overall drivability in Sport +. Quite frankly, the looks of the vehicle are relatively unimportant to me. I was just interested in getting the best driver's car (with a modicum of comfort) that was available in my target price range.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ride quality, "standard" vs. F-Sport