IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F-Sport vs GS350 F-Sport Which one would you buy and why??

Old 09-13-14, 06:25 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rebornkhj
Get gs350 f sport!
Im in my late 20s and bought gs350 fspor and im very happy.
I had 2007 is350 when i was 21 and i also thought about getting is350 again but well.. Only the gs got my attention this time.
By the way mine is ultra white color
That's interesting! I haven't seen/met any owner of a 4GS younger than 30s. I'm glad that you're happy with it
Old 09-13-14, 06:29 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salvadorik
If I were in a market for a car where GS be in a list, I would definitely put different makes on that list, not only stick with Lexus. New 2015 Audi A6 3.0T with prestige package is nothing but a piece of art - I could definitely call it a masterpiece.
Not so sure if I want to consider other makes. I've owned Hondas, Toyotas and now Lexus. I am very confident with Lexus and trust their cars. Perhaps in a few, few, few years from now I may get an Audi coupe (i.e. S5 or RS5). That's another league you can't compete with
Old 09-13-14, 06:31 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
IS comes in four doors right? Get the IS for a growing family AND get the weekend sport option too. GREAT for getting that gallon of milk. Takes an hour to get it though.
Lol. What are you referring to by "takes an hour to get it"? Is it the car that's slow or is it how far the location to get milk is?
Old 09-13-14, 07:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ I think he means it's so much fun to drive that you'll take the long way to pick up the milk.
Old 09-14-14, 03:55 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ I think he means it's so much fun to drive that you'll take the long way to pick up the milk.
LOL @ that!
Old 09-15-14, 02:14 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
I test drove the GS350, it was much more comfortable and luxurious than the IS350, but something was missing, it was not nimble nor did it feel sporty. The only way I can describe it was that it felt bloated.
The GS is a bit softer and less sporty. If that's what you're looking for... But it's not for me.
Old 09-16-14, 10:36 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dizlex
The GS is a bit softer and less sporty. If that's what you're looking for... But it's not for me.
Ok. I like softness, but it depends on how soft. A long test drive is a must!
Old 09-16-14, 11:24 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it is not F Sport comparison, but I have both an IS and a GS. No comparison except for the Lexus logo in my opinion. As a six+ footer, I feel like i have to fall out of the IS, as opposed to just stepping out of the the GS. So many other differences. Too many to run down here. Don't get me wrong, the IS is sharp, else I would not have spent the $$'s on it. The exterior and interior gives the IS a sportier look and feel. The GS is sporty, bet yet also luxurious. Can't go wrong with either. As a maturer adult, I tend to like a combo of sport and luxury. In my opinion, that is where the GS wins the comparison.
Old 09-16-14, 07:35 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
I walked into dealership to buy a GS F sport and almost left with an IS F sport. My wife would have killed me though. The IS is too small for a growing family. I loved the front grille but loathed the separate DRL. The gauges are awesome but the rest of the interior quality was disappointing. The center stack plastic felt cheap and tacked on to me. I know Lexus addressed this on the upcoming IS model but I haven't seen it personally. If you sit in the GS, you will notice soft touch material everywhere and LED accent lighting coming out from the trim on the door and center console. And let's not forget that huge screen. It's obvious that the GS interior is several notches above the IS. Heck, I think the GS has the best interior in its segment.

Now as for the ride, the GS handles just as well as the IS despite it being heavier. Mind you, the IS is also a heavy car. The difference is...wait for it.... a whopping 100 lbs. Now for those who state that the GS is soft and for people over 60. Well, either you haven't driven the car or you haven't had extensive time driving it. This ain't your daddy's GS. I know because my wife owns a 3GS. Lexus did a great job with the chassis, as you can attest with the IS.

Now which car is sexier? Which car is more of a chick magnet? Let me see. Is it more impressive to see a young lad getting out of a luxury big body or a dime a dozen entry level luxury vehicle?

In conclusion, I love my GS F sport. But I think I would have loved the IS F sport too and gotten over the center stack. The IS interior layout is more of a driver's cockpit. But let's not forget that the GS holds its own in the drivers department too. There is a reason it won several comparos against cars in its segment. I think one would be happy with either car. It all depends on what stage you are in your life and not what age you are. That's my comparison. Taking it with a grain of salt. Out.
You nailed it. Yes, the IS is more fun to throw around curves than the GS, but anyone who thinks the GS is for the "over 60" crowd and isn't 9/10ths as fun to drive as the IS has been living under a rock.
Old 09-16-14, 07:40 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
I find most of the people judging are financially over extended, drive a stripped down GS or BMW, etc. or have a host of mental problems that I'm free and clear from. Present company excluded of course.
I don't disagree with you on the other topic, but if you've already said you are free and clear from a host of mental problems you don't need to add "present company excluded of course."
Old 09-16-14, 08:55 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^

lol Now I never said completely free. I suppose the problem I have with terms like "entry level" or "dime a dozen" is that it is pure marketing speak -- someone else's words, someone else's blueprint. I am extremely sensitive to running frantically on the consumer aspiration treadmill. It's a losing game. I'm 40 so now I should be in a GS or a 5 series. Everything I was taught I should give a f****k about is someone else’s story, somebody else’s construct, someone else’s truth. Strip away the labels and what I'm left with in the IS is a great, fun car. And even though I'm north of 50 I like driving it. I've had nothing but GS size cars for the past 10 years -- I wanted something that fit like a glove. I didn't once think in terms of "entry level" -- again the GS is only a few thousand more -- I thought in terms of -- "is this what I want?" I would suggest the OP strip away any social ideas about what he should be driving at a certain passage of like and buy what fits him. If the IS works then take the difference and invest it in an asset that appreciates. At the end of the day I like the way the IS drives and I like looking at it. 2 really important factors. Finally there are maybe 6y billion people who'd love to own an IS. Many of them would sell it so they could feed their families and live in luxury for a few years.

Last edited by Glashub; 09-16-14 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 09:06 PM
Trish67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
^^^^^
Strip away the labels and what I'm left with in the IS is a great, fun car. And even though I'm north of 50 I like driving it. I've had nothing but GS size cars for the past 10 years -- I wanted something that fit like a glove. I didn't once think in terms of "entry level" -- again the GS is only a few thousand more -- I thought in terms of -- "is this what I want?"
I agree.

For the OP the best thing you can do is spend lots of time at the dealership sitting in both of them and test driving both and just seeing what fits you. They're both great choices so it's a good problem to have.
Old 10-02-14, 07:58 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trish67
I agree.

For the OP the best thing you can do is spend lots of time at the dealership sitting in both of them and test driving both and just seeing what fits you. They're both great choices so it's a good problem to have.
Thanks. I will do that!
Old 10-31-14, 06:11 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I choose the IS over the GS based strictly on looks. I love the look of the IS so much more. In my opinion, it's just more sporty and youthful.
Old 10-31-14, 07:32 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
I know it is not F Sport comparison, but I have both an IS and a GS. No comparison except for the Lexus logo in my opinion. As a six+ footer, I feel like i have to fall out of the IS, as opposed to just stepping out of the the GS. So many other differences. Too many to run down here. Don't get me wrong, the IS is sharp, else I would not have spent the $$'s on it. The exterior and interior gives the IS a sportier look and feel. The GS is sporty, bet yet also luxurious. Can't go wrong with either. As a maturer adult, I tend to like a combo of sport and luxury. In my opinion, that is where the GS wins the comparison.
Same boat here. 5' 11 and built. Went to the dealership looking at GS350, but the IS body really caught my eye. Then went to sit in it, and it was a bit of a struggle. Can't be struggling every day to get in the car. So I went with the GS f-sport. IS is still a head turner though. Especially that dash!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350 F-Sport vs GS350 F-Sport Which one would you buy and why??