IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F-Sport vs GS350 F-Sport Which one would you buy and why??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 12:06 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trish67
I think size really matters (let the jokes begin).

But seriously I thought a lot about parking it in my garage. I really wanted a smaller car than my ES so that was one reason for the change. Depending on your situation that might not be a factor but the 7" difference can be significant.
200% agree. Size does really matter, if you know what I mean
Old 09-12-14, 12:19 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS could be a nicer car to ride in but doesn't have the sex factor of the IS. The 3IS is much more rare here in Utah and people check it our where ever you go. Love the low seating position and the RED interior and stitching!!!
Old 09-12-14, 01:04 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HanaleiISF
GS could be a nicer car to ride in but doesn't have the sex factor of the IS. The 3IS is much more rare here in Utah and people check it our where ever you go. Love the low seating position and the RED interior and stitching!!!
LOL @ sex factor. You're right! That Rioja Red and the lower position makes it very sexy
Old 09-12-14, 06:09 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Comparing the non-F IS and GS, and IS is way better, for me. Very nice ride quality (much softer than my old E46 BMW with Sport suspension) yet still quite-capable handling makes it a great compromise.

Did someone say "go for the GS if you're over 30"? More like over 60. It's too soft.
Old 09-13-14, 07:35 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I walked into dealership to buy a GS F sport and almost left with an IS F sport. My wife would have killed me though. The IS is too small for a growing family. I loved the front grille but loathed the separate DRL. The gauges are awesome but the rest of the interior quality was disappointing. The center stack plastic felt cheap and tacked on to me. I know Lexus addressed this on the upcoming IS model but I haven't seen it personally. If you sit in the GS, you will notice soft touch material everywhere and LED accent lighting coming out from the trim on the door and center console. And let's not forget that huge screen. It's obvious that the GS interior is several notches above the IS. Heck, I think the GS has the best interior in its segment.

Now as for the ride, the GS handles just as well as the IS despite it being heavier. Mind you, the IS is also a heavy car. The difference is...wait for it.... a whopping 100 lbs. Now for those who state that the GS is soft and for people over 60. Well, either you haven't driven the car or you haven't had extensive time driving it. This ain't your daddy's GS. I know because my wife owns a 3GS. Lexus did a great job with the chassis, as you can attest with the IS.

Now which car is sexier? Which car is more of a chick magnet? Let me see. Is it more impressive to see a young lad getting out of a luxury big body or a dime a dozen entry level luxury vehicle?

In conclusion, I love my GS F sport. But I think I would have loved the IS F sport too and gotten over the center stack. The IS interior layout is more of a driver's cockpit. But let's not forget that the GS holds its own in the drivers department too. There is a reason it won several comparos against cars in its segment. I think one would be happy with either car. It all depends on what stage you are in your life and not what age you are. That's my comparison. Taking it with a grain of salt. Out.
Old 09-13-14, 08:42 AM
rebornkhj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
I'm in my 20s, but age isn't helping me in deciding what car I want. There's something about that GS that gets my attention. We shall see...
Get gs350 f sport!
Im in my late 20s and bought gs350 fspor and im very happy.
I had 2007 is350 when i was 21 and i also thought about getting is350 again but well.. Only the gs got my attention this time.
By the way mine is ultra white color
Old 09-13-14, 08:43 AM
rebornkhj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dizlex
Comparing the non-F IS and GS, and IS is way better, for me. Very nice ride quality (much softer than my old E46 BMW with Sport suspension) yet still quite-capable handling makes it a great compromise.

Did someone say "go for the GS if you're over 30"? More like over 60. It's too soft.
I said that lol
Old 09-13-14, 09:10 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
I walked into dealership to buy a GS F sport and almost left with an IS F sport. My wife would have killed me though. The IS is too small for a growing family. I loved the front grille but loathed the separate DRL. The gauges are awesome but the rest of the interior quality was disappointing. The center stack plastic felt cheap and tacked on to me. I know Lexus addressed this on the upcoming IS model but I haven't seen it personally. If you sit in the GS, you will notice soft touch material everywhere and LED accent lighting coming out from the trim on the door and center console. And let's not forget that huge screen. It's obvious that the GS interior is several notches above the IS. Heck, I think the GS has the best interior in its segment.

Now as for the ride, the GS handles just as well as the IS despite it being heavier. Mind you, the IS is also a heavy car. The difference is...wait for it.... a whopping 100 lbs. Now for those who state that the GS is soft and for people over 60. Well, either you haven't driven the car or you haven't had extensive time driving it. This ain't your daddy's GS. I know because my wife owns a 3GS. Lexus did a great job with the chassis, as you can attest with the IS.

Now which car is sexier? Which car is more of a chick magnet? Let me see. Is it more impressive to see a young lad getting out of a luxury big body or a dime a dozen entry level luxury vehicle?

In conclusion, I love my GS F sport. But I think I would have loved the IS F sport too and gotten over the center stack. The IS interior layout is more of a driver's cockpit. But let's not forget that the GS holds its own in the drivers department too. There is a reason it won several comparos against cars in its segment. I think one would be happy with either car. It all depends on what stage you are in your life and not what age you are. That's my comparison. Taking it with a grain of salt. Out.
The GS isn't dime a dozen? They're all over LA. Not as exclusive as you'd like to think, my friend. I and many others could afford to buy a GS. Hell, my last car had everything you described and more BUT it didn't give me the visceral thrill the IS does. I drove a 2013 GS all over for a while. Really nice car. Seductive with the big screen but it didn't give me the visceral thrill. It's the driving position. maybe. With the IS -- it's having all of the controls at my fingertips. I don't have to lean for anything. The GS has that great screen but truth is I have my screen off most of the time. I find even that small screen a nuisance especially at night. I found myself search the screen -- the size of it required a number of eye movement actions to find information. Each second on the screen is a second taken from the road. MSN has spent millions on eye movement studies for optimal ad placement. Eye movement is that important. The IS is designed to drive hard on canyons for a motorcycle visceral thrill. I like the GS a lot. Almost bought it. Wish the IS had more luxury touched but again been there with an assortment of cars -- so I went with the IS this time so I could drive, drive, drive, and want to drive some more. BTW, I'm past 50 and I really don't care what people think about me driving a dime a dozen entry level luxury car. I find most of the people judging are financially over extended, drive a stripped down GS or BMW, etc. or have a host of mental problems that I'm free and clear from. Present company excluded of course. BTW, paid for car in cash. Why? Because I hate debt.
Old 09-13-14, 09:50 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove the GS350, it was much more comfortable and luxurious than the IS350, but something was missing, it was not nimble nor did it feel sporty. The only way I can describe it was that it felt bloated.
Old 09-13-14, 10:05 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry if my post came off as being about exclusivity and if it screamed elitism. My review was not about being able to afford such and such. The IS is undeniably more of a volume seller than the GS. If you don't believe me, check out the sales thread and you can see how many GS's are being sold compared to the IS. My post did not take into account geography. The OP is from CT. I'm sure there are a lot of GS's in LA--but not merely as many IS's--hence my comment about a dime a dozen. Whether you agree or not, the IS is an entry level sedan, just like the former 3 series and C class (also a dime a dozen). If the classification bothers you, then you can take it up Lexus and auto mags. I like the IS. If I was at a different stage in my life, I would have walked out with one. I respect your review as you are at a different stage in your life. As for the chick magnet/sexier car comment, that was just tongue in cheek.
Old 09-13-14, 11:28 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if my post came off as being about exclusivity and if it screamed elitism. My review was not about being able to afford such and such.
I don't think it came across that way to everyone, I agree with your sentiments.
Old 09-13-14, 03:03 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

IS comes in four doors right? Get the IS for a growing family AND get the weekend sport option too. GREAT for getting that gallon of milk. Takes an hour to get it though.
Old 09-13-14, 03:13 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

If I were in a market for a car where GS be in a list, I would definitely put different makes on that list, not only stick with Lexus. New 2015 Audi A6 3.0T with prestige package is nothing but a piece of art - I could definitely call it a masterpiece.
Old 09-13-14, 03:50 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry if my post came off as being about exclusivity and if it screamed elitism. My review was not about being able to afford such and such. The IS is undeniably more of a volume seller than the GS. If you don't believe me, check out the sales thread and you can see how many GS's are being sold compared to the IS. My post did not take into account geography. The OP is from CT. I'm sure there are a lot of GS's in LA--but not merely as many IS's--hence my comment about a dime a dozen. Whether you agree or not, the IS is an entry level sedan, just like the former 3 series and C class (also a dime a dozen). If the classification bothers you, then you can take it up Lexus and auto mags. I like the IS. If I was at a different stage in my life, I would have walked out with one. I respect your review as you are at a different stage in your life. As for the chick magnet/sexier car comment, that was just tongue in cheek.
I didn't take it as such. Thanks for your opinion and your comment of being at different stages of ones life is more informative and insightful than any spec sheet. Very cool.
Old 09-13-14, 06:23 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Got you! Glad you like it! It's noticeable that the IS interior is smaller. Thus, I am leaning towards the GS though I ride by myself most of the times.

Quick Reply: IS350 F-Sport vs GS350 F-Sport Which one would you buy and why??