IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F-Sport vs GS350 F-Sport Which one would you buy and why??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 09:33 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by egmmbah
Here is my opinion.... I drove both, the GS is more luxurious and roomier. The IS is sportier while still keeping the luxury factor as well. I was looking for a healthy mix of both luxury and sport so I went with the IS, now that I have it I would have preferred the GS simply because I live in south florida and EVERYONE has an IS, there is literally about 7-10 just in my neighborhood it's crazy :-/ yet the gauge cluster in the IS-F sport was a huge selling point for me it makes me love my car every time I drive it
Yes I admit it as well. The f sport gauges got me too.
Old 09-11-14, 11:30 PM
Trish67
Driver School Candidate

I think size really matters (let the jokes begin).

But seriously I thought a lot about parking it in my garage. I really wanted a smaller car than my ES so that was one reason for the change. Depending on your situation that might not be a factor but the 7" difference can be significant.
Old 09-12-14, 05:28 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

One huge difference in luxury between the IS and GS is the Navigation Screen.

The IS350 F Sport is fun to drive and it's only that! Don't expect too much luxury and ride comfort compare to the GS!

If you're looking for luxury and sporty then opt for the GS350 F Sport.

Honestly though without the 8 speed on the RWD, you wont get much fun out of the IS350 AWD (no 8 speed and sport++ unless they changed it)

That said, might as well go for the GS350 AWD (no 8 speed neither, but luxury is present)

Also the F Sport gauges are attractive in the beginning, but it gets boring after awhile because all you can do is slide it lol.

I think what I missed out when I bought my IS350 F Sport was I didn't thought about how the IS350 is actually a driver's car where the interior is totally placed out to comfort and please the driver rather than with the passengers as a whole. For example, the positioning of the cup holders and just the center console looks like the passengers are riding in an airplane inside the cockpit!

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 09-12-14 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 06:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
Honestly though without the 8 speed on the RWD, you wont get much fun out of the IS350 AWD (no 8 speed and sport++ unless they changed it)
The 3IS with AWD in F Sport trim has always had Sport + (AVS).

Why wouldn't an AWD version be much fun? As noted in the Motor Trend results, the ability to put the power to the ground actually made it faster than the RWD model.

Our long-term F Sport needed 5.6 seconds to hit 60 mph and 14.0 seconds flat to run the quarter-mile, trapping at 99.8 mph. You'll note, though, that this is slower than the IS 350 AWD it replaced in the long-term fleet. That car, with its all-wheel-drive grip, got a much better launch and hit 60 mph in 5.3 seconds on the way to a 13.9-second quarter mile at 99.4 mph.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...port_update_5/
Old 09-12-14, 08:15 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Why wouldn't an AWD version be much fun? As noted in the Motor Trend results, the ability to put the power to the ground actually made it faster than the RWD model.
Getting a RWD vs AWD, in my opinion, depends on your geography. Here in SoCal, we don't need AWD but back in Seattle area, I might need that AWD for added grip or whenever I wanna go snowboarding at Snoqualmie Pass. Just a note that I wouldn't buy a Lexus AWD to bring to the mountains but instead would consider an EVO or Subaru if I want that AWD sportiness.
Old 09-12-14, 08:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drbazing
Getting a RWD vs AWD, in my opinion, depends on your geography. Here in SoCal, we don't need AWD but back in Seattle area, I might need that AWD for added grip or whenever I wanna go snowboarding at Snoqualmie Pass. Just a note that I wouldn't buy a Lexus AWD to bring to the mountains but instead would consider an EVO or Subaru if I want that AWD sportiness.
If I was in California, I would likely go with RWD too. Geography plays a huge part in the decision.
Old 09-12-14, 08:37 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned a lot of cars. Here's what I've learned -- forget all of the features and doodads. That's how the electronics industry has kept people upgrading for years. You know can have a 13.2 (13 speakers and 2 subwoofers) HT set up. 5.1 is still more than enough. But they keep inventing new algorithms and marketing them. All of the features I've had e.g. adaptive cruise control. LDW, hill assist. etc. -- were cool at first. Then it wears off and I'm left with this -- do I like the driving experience? The IS gives a different driving experience than the GS. I sit lower, more sports car like but with enough luxury to keep me happy on the 405. The GS is more luxurious but again at the end of the day -- the one constant is the driving experience. What experience do you want? Everything about the IS is designed with the driver in mind. The nav screen is just big enough to get what I need with a flick of the eyes. Everything is designed to be apprehended with a flick of the eyes. Finalpeace got that right. If you are going to have passengers the IS is not the best fit.

I can tell you chicks like the IS. The other day this truly beautiful lady was about to get into her Audi and instead walked over to tell me that she thought my car was beautiful. "Nuff said.
Old 09-12-14, 08:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

^^^This, Glashub. Spot on.

Like I said earlier, I had my own struggles with the IS vs GS decision. While I feel that you will win with either choice, I just felt like the IS "spoke" to me more than the GS did. I sat in a GS and thought "wow, this is beautiful". I sat in an IS and said "wow, I want to drive this!". If that makes any sense... It'll be different for everybody, so I suggest you just drive both and see if one speaks to you more than the other.
Old 09-12-14, 08:46 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^

It makes perfect sense and you expressed it well.
Old 09-12-14, 08:54 AM
rebornkhj
Driver School Candidate

In reality you cant really tell the difference in 0 to 60. Its like comparing would you get 335i or 535i? Of course gs is more expensive and one level up than the is350.
If you are in your 20s, is350 might be great choice but if you are almost 30 or up i highly recommend the gs350.
Old 09-12-14, 09:31 AM
Trish67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^This, Glashub. Spot on.

Like I said earlier, I had my own struggles with the IS vs GS decision. While I feel that you will win with either choice, I just felt like the IS "spoke" to me more than the GS did. I sat in a GS and thought "wow, this is beautiful". I sat in an IS and said "wow, I want to drive this!". If that makes any sense... It'll be different for everybody, so I suggest you just drive both and see if one speaks to you more than the other.
you nailed it. You just WANT to drive it. I feel like I'm 16 again volunteering to run to the store for milk.
Old 09-12-14, 11:56 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
I'm in New England, so an AWD is a plus for me. No RWDs If I was in CA, then RWD is the way to go
Old 09-12-14, 11:58 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Glashub
I've owned a lot of cars. Here's what I've learned -- forget all of the features and doodads. That's how the electronics industry has kept people upgrading for years. You know can have a 13.2 (13 speakers and 2 subwoofers) HT set up. 5.1 is still more than enough. But they keep inventing new algorithms and marketing them. All of the features I've had e.g. adaptive cruise control. LDW, hill assist. etc. -- were cool at first. Then it wears off and I'm left with this -- do I like the driving experience? The IS gives a different driving experience than the GS. I sit lower, more sports car like but with enough luxury to keep me happy on the 405. The GS is more luxurious but again at the end of the day -- the one constant is the driving experience. What experience do you want? Everything about the IS is designed with the driver in mind. The nav screen is just big enough to get what I need with a flick of the eyes. Everything is designed to be apprehended with a flick of the eyes. Finalpeace got that right. If you are going to have passengers the IS is not the best fit.

I can tell you chicks like the IS. The other day this truly beautiful lady was about to get into her Audi and instead walked over to tell me that she thought my car was beautiful. "Nuff said.
@ I can tell you chicks like the IS. The other day this truly beautiful lady was about to get into her Audi and instead walked over to tell me that she thought my car was beautiful. "Nuff said. - LOL. Chicks will look regardless of what I drive. Period But I get what you're saying
Old 09-12-14, 11:59 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rebornkhj
In reality you cant really tell the difference in 0 to 60. Its like comparing would you get 335i or 535i? Of course gs is more expensive and one level up than the is350.
If you are in your 20s, is350 might be great choice but if you are almost 30 or up i highly recommend the gs350.
I'm in my 20s, but age isn't helping me in deciding what car I want. There's something about that GS that gets my attention. We shall see...
Old 09-12-14, 12:01 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
One huge difference in luxury between the IS and GS is the Navigation Screen.

The IS350 F Sport is fun to drive and it's only that! Don't expect too much luxury and ride comfort compare to the GS!

If you're looking for luxury and sporty then opt for the GS350 F Sport.

That said, might as well go for the GS350 AWD (no 8 speed neither, but luxury is present)

Also the F Sport gauges are attractive in the beginning, but it gets boring after awhile because all you can do is slide it lol.

I think what I missed out when I bought my IS350 F Sport was I didn't thought about how the IS350 is actually a driver's car where the interior is totally placed out to comfort and please the driver rather than with the passengers as a whole. For example, the positioning of the cup holders and just the center console looks like the passengers are riding in an airplane inside the cockpit!
Agree with you on the interior differences. The IS is more appealing and sportier. The GS (cabernet) is all about luxury and comfort. We shall see...

Quick Reply: IS350 F-Sport vs GS350 F-Sport Which one would you buy and why??