IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F-Sport vs GS350 F-Sport Which one would you buy and why??

Old 09-11-14, 03:33 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I was in the same boat as you, and at first was convinced I wanted the IS, but after sitting in and driving the GS, I was sold. The IS is probably a touch more fun and agile, but speed-wise they are basically indistinguishable, and if you're buying it to go fast, you're buying the wrong car.

I really could have gone either way and been happy - but there was enough in the GS to sway me. The F-Sport GS basically combines all the features of the F-Sport IS and the Luxury IS into a single package. The ML is awesome, the Cabernet interior is awesome, the Nav screen is awesome - in short, I'm in love with my GS and I have 0 regrets.

The only things the IS has that I'll miss out on are LED headlights (which aren't a deal-breaker, they're cool in theory, but there's no functional advantage), and the size of the car (I like smaller cars). The GS is still 4-5 inches shorter than all the other cars in it's class (E350, 535, A6, etc.) and it feels like it, so I'm happy anyway.
@ "and if you're buying it to go fast, you're buying the wrong car." - IMO, I say that they're faster for me because of what I currently drive (IS250). Overall, both vehicles are faster than other competitors, lovers & haters
Old 09-11-14, 03:36 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

I was in the same boat as you, and at first was convinced I wanted the IS, but after sitting in and driving the GS, I was sold. The IS is probably a touch more fun and agile, but speed-wise they are basically indistinguishable, and if you're buying it to go fast, you're buying the wrong car.

I really could have gone either way and been happy - but there was enough in the GS to sway me. The F-Sport GS basically combines all the features of the F-Sport IS and the Luxury IS into a single package. The ML is awesome, the Cabernet interior is awesome, the Nav screen is awesome - in short, I'm in love with my GS and I have 0 regrets.

The only things the IS has that I'll miss out on are LED headlights (which aren't a deal-breaker, they're cool in theory, but there's no functional advantage), and the size of the car (I like smaller cars). The GS is still 4-5 inches shorter than all the other cars in it's class (E350, 535, A6, etc.) and it feels like it, so I'm happy anyway.
I agree. The interior of the GS is superb! Also, in my area you don't see so many 4GS which makes me incline more towards the GS to stand out among the crowd. On the other hand, there are so many 3IS, both non sport and F-Sport. The GS does seem and look short though it's bigger than the IS, and I also like small cars. We shall see ...
Old 09-11-14, 03:37 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tea
Gs350 f sport. Hands down
Yeah? What's your overall assessment of the GS? Do you own a 4GS?
Old 09-11-14, 03:53 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After eliminating BMW 335i, Audi S4, and Merc C350 out of the equation I had the same dilemma couple of months ago deciding between IS and the GS. I personally like smaller cars and everyone is right about feeling younger when driving the IS(past my mid 30s). To me the look of the IS is just right in every angle. I like the extra room of the GS, but since my wife has the RX350 it was a no brainer.

Because I was purchasing the vehicle and want to keep the car for at least 6 years I took the following into consideration.

*What is it that I truly want without taking any other factors into consideration? IS. This eliminates me regretting not getting what I want because of either family or others...
*Who is driving the car out of the 7 days of the week? Me.. 5 days for work and 2 days in the garage.. In the weekend we drive my wife's car.
*Can I live without the memory site, rain sensing wipers, ventilated seats, larger screen, and power rear sun shade? Debatable, but I am living through it just fine.
*Does the extra of thousands in cost for the GS worth it? No
*When test driving the GS it didn't give me an urge to floor the car. Not to say anything bad about the GS, but I felt like I was in a Cadillac or an LS460 and wanted to just cruise.

If my kid is maybe 12 or older and I was past my mid 40s, yes I would get the GS.

I recommend testing driving both car a little longer. Spend half a day at the dealer (which I did) to see which one settles in on you. Others like me in the forum will give you the variables that was taken into consideration. What truly matter is what your guts is telling you.
Old 09-11-14, 03:57 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexi90
@ "and if you're buying it to go fast, you're buying the wrong car." - IMO, I say that they're faster for me because of what I currently drive (IS250). Overall, both vehicles are faster than other competitors, lovers & haters
Yeah! That wasn't directed at you specifically, both cars are plenty fast, but they aren't race cars, you know?

I agree. The interior of the GS is superb! Also, in my area you don't see so many 4GS which makes me incline more towards the GS to stand out among the crowd. On the other hand, there are so many 3IS, both non sport and F-Sport. The GS does seem and look short though it's bigger than the IS, and I also like small cars. We shall see ...
That's another reason I opted for the GS, I see a lot of IS's around and a friend of mine already had one as well - I'd rather have something a little more exclusive? For what it's worth, the GS feels small when you drive it, and I mean that in the best possible way! The 5 series feels like a boat to me, a fast boat, but still a boat. I originally wanted something around 180" or even slightly less, but I found that it's hard to find a nice car with amenities in that size. The CLA feels cheap inside and it's FWD, the 2 series only comes in coupe (though the M235i looks AWESOME), the S3 is probably the only 4-door contender at less than 180".

For what it's worth I LOVE the size of the CT, but couldn't bring myself to spend 40k on a FWD Corolla hatch back with a Prius drivetrain, sans HIDs.
Old 09-11-14, 04:01 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I chose the IS because the design looks fully realized and well integrated. The GS looks like it's just a car with a unique front and back bolted on . The GS is luxurious but when I drove one for about 1/2 hour or so I kept thinking that a car that size needs a V8. Granted it was all psychological. It was the size that seemed to demand higher hp to accommodate. I don't know if that makes sense. At the time I had a Genesis 4.6 385hp and it smoked. The GS being about the same size paled in comparison. However, the same engine in the IS feels right. Again all perception and psychological. I bought the IS and have learned to live with the lack of features. When I sit in a GS now I can't wait to get back to the IS because it is so ergonomically friendly -- a drivers car. The GS feels way too big now. But you can't go wrong on this deal. Both great cars.
Old 09-11-14, 04:09 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

i would choose the GS350 F Sport all day long, thats almost a no brainer. even as far as looks go, the GS looks far meaner. nicer interior as well
Old 09-11-14, 04:35 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Yeah! That wasn't directed at you specifically, both cars are plenty fast, but they aren't race cars, you know?

That's another reason I opted for the GS, I see a lot of IS's around and a friend of mine already had one as well - I'd rather have something a little more exclusive? For what it's worth, the GS feels small when you drive it, and I mean that in the best possible way! The 5 series feels like a boat to me, a fast boat, but still a boat. I originally wanted something around 180" or even slightly less, but I found that it's hard to find a nice car with amenities in that size. The CLA feels cheap inside and it's FWD, the 2 series only comes in coupe (though the M235i looks AWESOME), the S3 is probably the only 4-door contender at less than 180".

For what it's worth I LOVE the size of the CT, but couldn't bring myself to spend 40k on a FWD Corolla hatch back with a Prius drivetrain, sans HIDs.
Got you! I was trying to say that they a lot faster than other cars out there!!

LOL @ For what it's worth I LOVE the size of the CT, but couldn't bring myself to spend 40k on a FWD Corolla hatch back with a Prius drivetrain, sans HIDs
Old 09-11-14, 04:38 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kmanpete24
After eliminating BMW 335i, Audi S4, and Merc C350 out of the equation I had the same dilemma couple of months ago deciding between IS and the GS. I personally like smaller cars and everyone is right about feeling younger when driving the IS(past my mid 30s). To me the look of the IS is just right in every angle. I like the extra room of the GS, but since my wife has the RX350 it was a no brainer.

Because I was purchasing the vehicle and want to keep the car for at least 6 years I took the following into consideration.

*What is it that I truly want without taking any other factors into consideration? IS. This eliminates me regretting not getting what I want because of either family or others...
*Who is driving the car out of the 7 days of the week? Me.. 5 days for work and 2 days in the garage.. In the weekend we drive my wife's car.
*Can I live without the memory site, rain sensing wipers, ventilated seats, larger screen, and power rear sun shade? Debatable, but I am living through it just fine.
*Does the extra of thousands in cost for the GS worth it? No
*When test driving the GS it didn't give me an urge to floor the car. Not to say anything bad about the GS, but I felt like I was in a Cadillac or an LS460 and wanted to just cruise.

If my kid is maybe 12 or older and I was past my mid 40s, yes I would get the GS.

I recommend testing driving both car a little longer. Spend half a day at the dealer (which I did) to see which one settles in on you. Others like me in the forum will give you the variables that was taken into consideration. What truly matter is what your guts is telling you.
I see. You're right. The IS is more is smaller and yes, it does look perfect from every angle That's how it attracted me when it was sitting in the showroom. Just like my girl did
Old 09-11-14, 04:39 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
i would choose the GS350 F Sport all day long, thats almost a no brainer. even as far as looks go, the GS looks far meaner. nicer interior as well
I agree 50/50 here - GS F-Sport is mean, specially that front end. Same thing on the IS F-Sport end. Man, it's tough!
Old 09-11-14, 04:41 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Glashub
I chose the IS because the design looks fully realized and well integrated. The GS looks like it's just a car with a unique front and back bolted on . The GS is luxurious but when I drove one for about 1/2 hour or so I kept thinking that a car that size needs a V8. Granted it was all psychological. It was the size that seemed to demand higher hp to accommodate. I don't know if that makes sense. At the time I had a Genesis 4.6 385hp and it smoked. The GS being about the same size paled in comparison. However, the same engine in the IS feels right. Again all perception and psychological. I bought the IS and have learned to live with the lack of features. When I sit in a GS now I can't wait to get back to the IS because it is so ergonomically friendly -- a drivers car. The GS feels way too big now. But you can't go wrong on this deal. Both great cars.
I understand what you're saying about the IS! And yes about the perception + psychological LOL Everything is inside our brains
Old 09-11-14, 04:44 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Thanks all for sharing your feedback. It's greatly appreciated. And just so you know, I am doing this for the sake of hearing other people's opinions - I'm not judging either vehicle nor its owner(s). Any comment/opinion about either vehicle is welcome
Old 09-11-14, 05:11 PM
egmmbah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my opinion.... I drove both, the GS is more luxurious and roomier. The IS is sportier while still keeping the luxury factor as well. I was looking for a healthy mix of both luxury and sport so I went with the IS, now that I have it I would have preferred the GS simply because I live in south florida and EVERYONE has an IS, there is literally about 7-10 just in my neighborhood it's crazy :-/ yet the gauge cluster in the IS-F sport was a huge selling point for me it makes me love my car every time I drive it
Old 09-11-14, 06:13 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by egmmbah
Here is my opinion.... I drove both, the GS is more luxurious and roomier. The IS is sportier while still keeping the luxury factor as well. I was looking for a healthy mix of both luxury and sport so I went with the IS, now that I have it I would have preferred the GS simply because I live in south florida and EVERYONE has an IS, there is literally about 7-10 just in my neighborhood it's crazy :-/ yet the gauge cluster in the IS-F sport was a huge selling point for me it makes me love my car every time I drive it
Agreed. The gauge is like nothing out there. Another reason I bought the IS is I felt sure it would be too controversial looking for wide acceptance but damn if I don't see -- al over LA -- little old ladies with blue hair driving their white 3IS250 -- I see young women driving their 3IS250 Fsport

The 250 rules in LA. The only thing that separates me from all of the 3IS's is I have Joe Z. led fogs and a 350.
Old 09-11-14, 08:36 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah? What's your overall assessment of the GS? Do you own a 4GS?
personal preference. I just absolutely LOVE the 4GS. Perfect size for me. I have a 3IS, but feel it is kinda small for me. Reason why i didn't get the GS is because it'd be around $60,000 for the one i want. The only thing i like more on the IS than the GS are the taillights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350 F-Sport vs GS350 F-Sport Which one would you buy and why??