IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F-Sport vs GS350 F-Sport Which one would you buy and why??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 09:19 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The IS fsport has the bad *** LFA inspired cluster. Have you seen it? That will help you make up your mind.
Old 11-06-14, 09:37 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo55
The IS fsport has the bad *** LFA inspired cluster. Have you seen it? That will help you make up your mind.
Yep, I've seen it! It's amazing. The whole car just caught my attention when I saw the 1st '14 one in the showroom!
Old 03-26-18, 05:40 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by obturator
I walked into dealership to buy a GS F sport and almost left with an IS F sport. My wife would have killed me though. The IS is too small for a growing family. I loved the front grille but loathed the separate DRL. The gauges are awesome but the rest of the interior quality was disappointing. The center stack plastic felt cheap and tacked on to me. I know Lexus addressed this on the upcoming IS model but I haven't seen it personally. If you sit in the GS, you will notice soft touch material everywhere and LED accent lighting coming out from the trim on the door and center console. And let's not forget that huge screen. It's obvious that the GS interior is several notches above the IS. Heck, I think the GS has the best interior in its segment.

Now as for the ride, the GS handles just as well as the IS despite it being heavier. Mind you, the IS is also a heavy car. The difference is...wait for it.... a whopping 100 lbs. Now for those who state that the GS is soft and for people over 60. Well, either you haven't driven the car or you haven't had extensive time driving it. This ain't your daddy's GS. I know because my wife owns a 3GS. Lexus did a great job with the chassis, as you can attest with the IS.

Now which car is sexier? Which car is more of a chick magnet? Let me see. Is it more impressive to see a young lad getting out of a luxury big body or a dime a dozen entry level luxury vehicle?

In conclusion, I love my GS F sport. But I think I would have loved the IS F sport too and gotten over the center stack. The IS interior layout is more of a driver's cockpit. But let's not forget that the GS holds its own in the drivers department too. There is a reason it won several comparos against cars in its segment. I think one would be happy with either car. It all depends on what stage you are in your life and not what age you are. That's my comparison. Taking it with a grain of salt. Out.
Fair Enough... I have an old GS300 (non-FSport) which is still going pretty strong (knock on wood *knock* *knock* *knock*) and recently got a later generation IS350 FSport.

The IS is MUCH BETTER for narrow radius cornering, U-Turns, fitting into tight spaces, an overall more scintillating ride, and "feeling" young(er).

The GS is better in terms of "feeling" much more spacious inside, luxurious, much better 360 degree views of the road, and a smoother ride, however all of this results in a less exciting ride than the IS.

ALSO, I'm not sure if NEWER IS350 models last as long as OLDER GS models which are better built and more sturdy, so if LONGEVITY is a priority the GS might be a better bet. One more thing ~ if you're commuting around 1 hour per day in your car get an IS. If your daily commutes are 2+ hours then get a GS. Thanks!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 03-29-18 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 07:03 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are putting people in the back seat GS, other wise IS.
Old 03-26-18, 11:23 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Its a close call. Id go with the IS. but knowing what i know now..... I would have waited it out and got the used GSF im looking at. def worth the 55k asking price with low miles...
Im a bit shocked with the deprecation of the IS.
Old 03-27-18, 09:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by robert2423
Its a close call. Id go with the IS. but knowing what i know now..... I would have waited it out and got the used GSF im looking at. def worth the 55k asking price with low miles...
Im a bit shocked with the deprecation of the IS.
Wow, that does sound like a steal on the GS F. Makes me wonder how much RC Fs are going for around here.

For me I would think this is a toss-up. If money wasn't a factor it would be a tough call, but in the real world I would buy the IS. It's more compact making it easier to park, looks better, and handles better (from what I understand) compared with the GS. The only downside is interior space, which honestly isn't too bad - perfectly serviceable if you only need the back seats for the occasional lunch run.
Old 03-27-18, 09:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Well, this is quite the thread revival...

I used to have an IS350 and now I have a GS350. They are both wonderful cars.
Old 03-27-18, 10:11 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a thread revival. But, for anyone that's still looking up this information, IS350 and GS350 are pretty similar vehicles. They are also both very good cars. It just depends what you want or need. Consider the area you live, how big of a car do you need, and what modifications would you be doing to the vehicle.
Old 03-27-18, 08:03 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Indeed. Both are great cars. I would definitely pick up a GS F-Sport. Something about the GS feels right. Maybe the interior layout or the driving position, or maybe I'm comfortable with a bigger car. I find myself struggling to get out of my IS on a few occasions, like after lunch/dinner or after a tiring day. haha.

I may pick up a GS after my lease ends. It's an underrated car that Lexus never really pushed. It's always the ES, RX, NX.