IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Best Way To Setup For MP3 Music Playing in Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 06:38 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way To Setup For MP3 Music Playing in Car

So I've owned an Audi A4 for the longest time and have used a Nano iPod 8GB that connects directly to the head unit in the car and I am able to access not only all my songs but my playlists in the order I have set them up on the iPod.

I understand the new 3IS has bluetooth connectivity where I could simply just let it connect to my phone and it picks up my music and allows me to play music that way. Is this the recommended way to play music in this vehicle? Do I have access to playlists? Will the head unit and Lexus controls allows me to cycle through songs and playlists and what order will the songs be in? Many vehicles default to alphabetical order.

I pick up my vehicle tomorrow and wanted to have it setup on any necessary devices prior to picking up the car so I have some tunes to listen to on my drive home

Thanks
Old 09-08-14, 06:43 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my phone, samung, and on the USB drive I use in my IS, the songs are listed alphabetically by folders, and alphabetically within the folders.
Never tried to change it, as I can use the voice controller to play whatever I want, If I want something to play something special.
Old 09-08-14, 06:53 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Thanks Magne. I'm really interested in making sure I can use the playlists I've created in iTunes. I have a software program that will allow me to copy those playlists in the order I want on a USB stick but just wondering if that's even required given the bluetooth functionality which apparently allows you to play the music right off your phone via bluetooth as you would a bluetooth speaker.

Only question I have is how easy is it to cycle between songs, do we have full functionality with the Lexus head unit controls to change songs and I also read somewhere that the bluetooth was slow when switching songs.

Thanks
Old 09-08-14, 09:19 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you connect your phone to Bluetooth, just click "browse" on the right side of the screen and go to playlists to pick the one you want. It will play the songs in order as long as the shuffle feature on the car is off. It's on the bottom of the screen where it shows the current song playing. That's how I have it setup.
Old 09-09-14, 04:46 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None iPhone users, where you guys download songs to be used with USB stick?
Old 09-09-14, 04:11 PM
IS1911
Driver

I use my iPhone 5 with my IS and it works perfectly through Bluetooth. I haven't plugged the phone in, probably won't as there is no need. I simply leave it in my pocket. I plan on upgrading to the iPhone 6 (which Apple just announced today) and I hope it works just as nicely.
Old 09-09-14, 06:51 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Anyone else find that music from the iPhone sounds clearer when the phone is connected via USB rather than Bluetooth?
Old 09-10-14, 11:10 AM
Maxiii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thespaz18
Anyone else find that music from the iPhone sounds clearer when the phone is connected via USB rather than Bluetooth?
not me. i prefer bluetooth. its more convenience me.
Old 09-10-14, 12:29 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 09-10-14, 02:34 PM
mrkjsn
Rookie

Originally Posted by thespaz18
There is some loss due to Bluetooth compressing the data in order to transfer, but bluetooth compression has come a long way from where it was. The sound is tolerable to me, but if you want quality, plug in the wire.

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
There's this thing called Napster from way back when Joking aside, that's a good question and something I have not tried recently because of DRM. I suppose if you bought a CD and convert it to MP3, you should be able to move it to a stick.
Old 09-10-14, 08:37 PM
Jagstyles
Rookie

So, I've had the car now for 2 days and noticed that you lose some functionality with Bluetooth when it comes to voice activated commands. Essentially, you cannot use any of the voice commands with bluetooth devices for your audio. For example, "Play Playlist Dance Mix". That won't work when trying it over bluetooth.

I had an 8GB Nano iPod and connected it via USB. Now, not only do I get proper art work which I didn't under bluetooth, I am able to use the vehicles built in commands which is fantastic.
Old 09-11-14, 07:12 AM
jdh62
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrkjsn
There is some loss due to Bluetooth compressing the data in order to transfer, but bluetooth compression has come a long way from where it was. The sound is tolerable to me, but if you want quality, plug in the wire.

There's this thing called Napster from way back when Joking aside, that's a good question and something I have not tried recently because of DRM. I suppose if you bought a CD and convert it to MP3, you should be able to move it to a stick.
iTunes used to have DRM (pre 2009) which is why I buy from Amazon or either convert to MP3 from CDs. But iTunes has removed DRM so I may from there in the future. Basically, you can copy any music w/o DRM to your USB stick (i.e., using Windows Explorer).
Old 09-11-14, 09:30 AM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by mrkjsn
Let's not forget that MP3's are a compressed format. If you want the best quality put a CD into that slot in your dash (and not a CD you made from MP3's but a store bought professionally produced disk).
Old 09-11-14, 11:33 AM
cupofjoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS1911
Let's not forget that MP3's are a compressed format. If you want the best quality put a CD into that slot in your dash (and not a CD you made from MP3's but a store bought professionally produced disk).
I encode to Apple Lossless for my iPod.
Old 09-12-14, 03:17 PM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
I go to download.com and download Ares.