IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Parking Outside - No Garage

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 02:04 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

simple car protection is needed such as tint and a good protective wax, opticoat, etc. also clean the car every two weeks or so depending on the level of contaminant accumulation (dust, bird dropping, ozone, etc).

car cover helps but is not always ideal. if you can get the car to park in the shade that helps too. avoid trees due to sap, leaves, pollen, and bird droppings.

i love that sun sail idea, but my HOA would not approve...
Old 09-08-14, 03:26 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I garage mine each night...but it sits in the sun and snow all day at work
Old 09-09-14, 07:28 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i love that sun sail idea, but my HOA would not approve...
The first storm with a high wind is going to love it so much it will make it its own
Old 09-09-14, 07:55 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using car covers for years on 3 different cars for uv protection. I use weathershield HD. Rain resistant, 95% uv protection, machine washable, super light. I see no scratching or harm done by this cover.
Old 09-09-14, 11:07 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I park my car on the driveway with no issues. I just wash my car every other week. I avoid street parking if possible.
Old 09-09-14, 11:18 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As for protection, is it worth getting the ceramic tint from 3M done all around the car windows? Or a dark normal tint should do the trick?
Old 09-09-14, 12:07 PM
textekvbal
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
Get car coating like Opticoat or CQuartz. Way better than wax or sealants
if you want to take care of the car you need to do this. These coatings are rock solid and the best protection for your car. It is expensive but the other option is to use ppf film on the whole car. That is the only way i would buy this car knowing it would be left outside.
Old 09-09-14, 10:07 PM
jeffyffej
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
I've been using car covers for years on 3 different cars for uv protection. I use weathershield HD. Rain resistant, 95% uv protection, machine washable, super light. I see no scratching or harm done by this cover.
How often do you take off and use the cover? Do you cover your daily car as well?
Old 09-10-14, 10:20 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffyffej
How often do you take off and use the cover? Do you cover your daily car as well?
In the summer I use it almost daily . Unless a spot under a tree is open across the street. I use the cover frequently. I have used the Ultraweave from California Car Cover for 6 years. When my cover started falling apart from me trying to make a cover made for a TL fir on a Genesis -- they sent me a new one no charge. No I have a TL car cover that fits my Lexus -- not perfectly -- but really well.

Other companies sell the fabric and an even better version is available too. It is so light weight and I wash it in my machine with cold water. Here's the link, http://www.calcarcover.com/n_carcove...%20Car%20Cover

Ultimately it's a Weathershield car cover.

Last edited by Glashub; 09-10-14 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-10-14, 02:03 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car was a California car and the old owner didnt take care of the paint AT ALL. I got the car and the paint was fading because he kept it out outdoors. But after a good detail with polishing compound and a good wax, the color started to revive it self. I park my car outdoors and i give it a good wax before every season and it seems to help out alot with protecting the paint under all weather conditions.

To the OP if you park outside and just use a decent wax which I can recommend a ton (maguires is my fav, turtle wax is my least fav), you should be fine where ever you are. If you are a car wash guy, DONT rely on the wax thats there
Old 09-10-14, 10:53 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

on my 2IS i used the lexus car cover daily while the car was parked outdoors at work, although my car was starfire pearl and so light scratches and swirls were difficult to see. i did take care of the car very well, though.

now that i have a 3IS in matador red mica i think i'd freak out if anyone put a car cover over the car. i mean, the full hood, full fenders and front bumper are all covered in xpel ultimate and the car is coated with cquartz finest which add protection, but is not impervious to damage by any means - there are some small swirl marks on the trunk and i have no idea how they got there over the course of the last four months. even still, though, i wouldn't now place a car cover over the car with that color.

as for interior protection, because my car is parked outdoors during the hottest, most sun-intensive periods of the day, i've had the car tinted with 3m's crystalline film.

p.s. if you have to park on the street in a busy area, e.g., an urban environment, don't buy the car. your car will look so terrible in, like, six months.

p.p.s. if you live in an urban environment and want the car anyway, rent a parking space.