IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tesla S way too fast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 05:33 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric cars have always had more power, they generate so much torque, but it's hard to build a transy that will handle the power.
Old 09-07-14, 05:48 PM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past month, I've seen 2 Tesla drivers talking on their cell phone handsets while driving.
Seriously, how can you have all that technology in a car & not know who to use the effing bluetooth?
Old 09-07-14, 06:19 PM
VGer
Rookie

I've test driven a Model S, holy sweet baby Jesus, these cars are the real deal. In two years I see the major automakers quaking in their boots, if they aren't already.
Old 09-07-14, 07:16 PM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw one on the dyno today. It made 330ish whp and 600torque. The torque started high and fell to about 100 by the end of the graph. They only do about 200kph
Old 09-08-14, 02:24 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't realize HOW damn fast the Model S is. Right now guys are running 12.3@110mph through the quarter mile in these cars. If you know anything about drag racing, 110 is not a huge mph for a 12.3 et. Which means that thing is pulling really hard off the line and down the 1st 3rd of the track. Big mph is made past the halfway point on the track, once you are going, its a better measure of top end power. A lower et is all about how fast you leave off the line, ie if you have sticky drag slicks on a powerful RWD car, you will run a lower et but your mph will be about the same.
Old 09-08-14, 03:57 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

I wasn't sure what was the lineup in the Tesla S model, but after looking at the website it seems like I encountered an 85 or P85. I saw it shoot out like a lightning, but that's also because I didn't floor my IS350. I knew that Tesla S was up to no good and I didn't want to test out the speed of that monster.
Old 09-08-14, 04:23 AM
magne
Lead Lap

I live in the country who has the biggest sale of teslas, Norway. (!)

They sell a lot of them here, due to the car beeing very cheap compared to other cars. This is becuase of zero taxes on electric cars, and insanly high taxes on other cars.
A tesla s cost from about 80000$ to 140000$ depening og version.
A comparable car like porsche panamera turbo costs about 400000$. A equally fast, but not as big or luxurious car, the subaru wrx Sti cost about 150000$.
A normal sized family car like the toyta avenis is about 50000$.
They tax cars according to weight, emmisons, power. So big SUV with big engines are insanly expensive. Toyota landcruiser is about 200000$ with diesel v6. About 250000$ with petrol v8. And teslas and other Electric cars are free of tax.

Becuase of all the teslas here, I've seen the preformance of them often. Even had a friend dyno one. Problem with dynoing these cars is the insane torque from standstill. About 2000nm at the start.
But the faster they go, the less power they make.
So after 80mph, they are basically pretty lame. But from 0 up to 80, they are very fast. And that is the speed people usally drive on normal roads.
Biggest problem the tesla has, aside from limited range, long chraging times and other normal electric car problems, is that it does not withstand hard driving.
Have seen several people try to track drive the teslas, and tried som hard pulls on the highway with them. Within a lap or 4-5 hard pulls, you get an error code with "system overload", and the preformance is reduced a lot. This has to do with the drivetrain beeing to hot.
So the tesla is only fast a few times, and it is not a sportscar at all, with it's 2,1 tonns of weight.
I've even driven on a trackday aigainst one tesla. My toy was only a toyota mr2 with about 170hp. The tesla pulled away as heck on the straights, but in the corners he slowed me down a lot.

But, a few straight pulls form crossings and lights, the tesla is very fast up to 80mph. Same friend of mine who dynoed one, ownes a tuned impreza. He makes about 450 wheel Hp witth it. and up to 60, he only beat the tesla by a car length in a drag race. However, above 60 the tesla was long gone in the rear view mirror.

when tesla gets the superchargers and battryswapping going, it is a good alternative to a petrol car here. But in the US, where it is the same price as a porsche, and three times the price a subaru wrx sti. I'd say the tesla needs to become cheaper before they sell a lot of them.

We also have a lot of other advantages for electric cars. Basically, free parking, no charge through toll boots where there is road tax, and beeing able to drive in the bus lanes on highways. However, they are big advantages here, as we have terrible roads, huge rush our cue problems, and a lot of road taxing. Parking costs about 5-10$ per hour in big cities here. also electric car charges are free in use here, meaning you car get "full tank" free for el cars, while the petrol cost about 2,7 usd per liters or about 10$ per gallon.
So there is a reason electric cars really pay of to own here. Even big asian companies and city planners comes to norway to see how we do it with electric cars and infrastructure.
And were only a small country with 5 million people....

Last edited by magne; 09-08-14 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-08-14, 09:40 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

I just wish I could afford one.
Old 09-08-14, 10:24 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by magne
I live in the country who has the biggest sale of teslas, Norway. (!)

They sell a lot of them here, due to the car beeing very cheap compared to other cars. This is becuase of zero taxes on electric cars, and insanly high taxes on other cars.
A tesla s cost from about 80000$ to 140000$ depening og version.
A comparable car like porsche panamera turbo costs about 400000$. A equally fast, but not as big or luxurious car, the subaru wrx Sti cost about 150000$.
A normal sized family car like the toyta avenis is about 50000$.
They tax cars according to weight, emmisons, power. So big SUV with big engines are insanly expensive. Toyota landcruiser is about 200000$ with diesel v6. About 250000$ with petrol v8. And teslas and other Electric cars are free of tax.

Becuase of all the teslas here, I've seen the preformance of them often. Even had a friend dyno one. Problem with dynoing these cars is the insane torque from standstill. About 2000nm at the start.
But the faster they go, the less power they make.
So after 80mph, they are basically pretty lame. But from 0 up to 80, they are very fast. And that is the speed people usally drive on normal roads.
Biggest problem the tesla has, aside from limited range, long chraging times and other normal electric car problems, is that it does not withstand hard driving.
Have seen several people try to track drive the teslas, and tried som hard pulls on the highway with them. Within a lap or 4-5 hard pulls, you get an error code with "system overload", and the preformance is reduced a lot. This has to do with the drivetrain beeing to hot.
So the tesla is only fast a few times, and it is not a sportscar at all, with it's 2,1 tonns of weight.
I've even driven on a trackday aigainst one tesla. My toy was only a toyota mr2 with about 170hp. The tesla pulled away as heck on the straights, but in the corners he slowed me down a lot.

But, a few straight pulls form crossings and lights, the tesla is very fast up to 80mph. Same friend of mine who dynoed one, ownes a tuned impreza. He makes about 450 wheel Hp witth it. and up to 60, he only beat the tesla by a car length in a drag race. However, above 60 the tesla was long gone in the rear view mirror.

when tesla gets the superchargers and battryswapping going, it is a good alternative to a petrol car here. But in the US, where it is the same price as a porsche, and three times the price a subaru wrx sti. I'd say the tesla needs to become cheaper before they sell a lot of them.

We also have a lot of other advantages for electric cars. Basically, free parking, no charge through toll boots where there is road tax, and beeing able to drive in the bus lanes on highways. However, they are big advantages here, as we have terrible roads, huge rush our cue problems, and a lot of road taxing. Parking costs about 5-10$ per hour in big cities here. also electric car charges are free in use here, meaning you car get "full tank" free for el cars, while the petrol cost about 2,7 usd per liters or about 10$ per gallon.
So there is a reason electric cars really pay of to own here. Even big asian companies and city planners comes to norway to see how we do it with electric cars and infrastructure.
And were only a small country with 5 million people....
Great post, thank you for all the information
Old 09-08-14, 10:29 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

This thread is sort of ironic for me. I just experienced the same thing this morning here in western PA, Greensburg, PA to be exact. Sitting at a light and a Tesla pulls right beside me. When the light changed, he floored it and was out of sight in no time. My guess was one, he was in a hurry, and two, he knew the light cycles. I was in a rented Nissan Sentra with two colleagues. I missed the next light, only two blocks away! I certainly did not know those cars were that fast. But as mentioned early, I bet that kills the battery life considerably.
Old 09-08-14, 12:59 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I didn't realize HOW damn fast the Model S is. Right now guys are running 12.3@110mph through the quarter mile in these cars. If you know anything about drag racing, 110 is not a huge mph for a 12.3 et. Which means that thing is pulling really hard off the line and down the 1st 3rd of the track. Big mph is made past the halfway point on the track, once you are going, its a better measure of top end power. A lower et is all about how fast you leave off the line, ie if you have sticky drag slicks on a powerful RWD car, you will run a lower et but your mph will be about the same.
^^ Exactly.

^^ You can see at above 80 mph, the HP advantage of the Viper starts to outweigh the torque advantage in low end. The Viper begins to creep up on the Tesla.

Nonetheless, the Tesla produces the most power where it's most "useful."

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-09-14, 03:58 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by moose66
This thread is sort of ironic for me. I just experienced the same thing this morning here in western PA, Greensburg, PA to be exact. Sitting at a light and a Tesla pulls right beside me. When the light changed, he floored it and was out of sight in no time. My guess was one, he was in a hurry, and two, he knew the light cycles. I was in a rented Nissan Sentra with two colleagues. I missed the next light, only two blocks away! I certainly did not know those cars were that fast. But as mentioned early, I bet that kills the battery life considerably.
That must have been the P85 Tesla S model. I wish Lexus made something like that, it would definitely steal many customers from Tesla.
Old 09-09-14, 03:54 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
That must have been the P85 Tesla S model. I wish Lexus made something like that, it would definitely steal many customers from Tesla.
LF-FC if it comes out
Old 09-10-14, 01:07 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
LF-FC if it comes out
Isn't the RC based on the LF-FC concept?
Old 09-10-14, 08:08 PM
HammerDown
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
They are only fast out of the hole. The electric motor produces a lot of torque hence the fast 0-60 time. You would have reeled him in if you had put your foot into it.
Reeled him in that would never happen. I've seen E63's , M5's, Vipers & C7 Stingrays lose in a 1/4 race and then start to reel them in at about the 1500' mark and those cars have quite a bit more hp than the IS350. Now unless you were totally joking then forget about what I just said.

Quick Reply: Tesla S way too fast!