IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tesla S way too fast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 05:35 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tesla S way too fast!

I encountered an immature Tesla S driver today. I was driving my IS350 F Sport in a hurry to my destination and this Tesla S came up next to me at a stop light after I passed him earlier. Once the lights turned green, he shoot out like a lightning showing me how much faster his Tesla is than my Lexus. I didn't want to get into the road raging confrontation and I knew the Tesla S was probably faster.

Afterwards I went online to check how fast the Tesla S is and guess what...... 0-60 at 4.2 seconds according to the website, that time destroys the BMW 335i as well as making this thing a beast for an electric car. This is quite embarrassing that a plug in electrical car can pull on so many sports car out there.

I just wished my IS350 was in the 4 seconds range that would probably feel more rewarding.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 09-07-14 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-07-14, 05:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well if he drives it like that it will probably run out of juice in 50 miles lol
Old 09-07-14, 06:22 AM
dortok
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That model also costs twice as much as the IS.
Old 09-07-14, 06:32 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That 4.2 sec is only valid when you guys drag race. When it comes to street race on street road where there are other cars and obstacles, your driving skills is more important. Hell a civic can probably beat him if it is not on a straight empty road.
Old 09-07-14, 06:38 AM
Trish67
Driver School Candidate

Well if it makes you feel any better I had a Tesla S driver in my car the other day and he was impressed. He loved the interior and had no idea what a "sweet ride" Lexus had put together. I happen to have a lot of luxury options in my IS and he was envious of quite a few!

I did look at the Tesla pretty seriously but the problem for me is that it's a big car. It's about 16" longer than the IS. That didn't happen to work for me as I was trying to get something smaller than my old Lexus ES. I've been in his car and it is beautiful but for me the IS was a better fit (literally).
Old 09-07-14, 06:47 AM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are only fast out of the hole. The electric motor produces a lot of torque hence the fast 0-60 time. You would have reeled him in if you had put your foot into it.
Old 09-07-14, 07:12 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

this thread belongs in a different section. car chat, maybe?
Old 09-07-14, 07:19 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
They are only fast out of the hole. The electric motor produces a lot of torque hence the fast 0-60 time. You would have reeled him in if you had put your foot into it.
I agree its 0-60 time is good, but its 1/4 mile time is normal .
Old 09-07-14, 08:06 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
Yea, but you cant really go over 60 mph in the streets without risk of accidents, tickets, etc. I just didn't like how a true sports car probably got laughed at by some amateur Tesla driver who can win a 0-60 street race. If a mustang beats me to it, I can care less, but I just have this thing about Teslas that it's like a fast Prius lol. That Tesla had no license plate on it, I guess the owner was too excited to test out his new car on an IS350.

Funny part is a Cadillac CTS was around driving in a rush as well. Afterwards the CTS was next to the Tesla at the stop light and they took off for a battle lol. I didn't know what happened afterwards cause I went the other direction. What I really would like to happen is, the impression Lexus' can and should give to the public that they're the ultimate driving machine since they're heading towards to steal the crown from BMW.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 09-07-14 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-07-14, 09:31 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Guys, don't underestimate Tesla. I would certainly NOT call it a "fast Prius". Tesla is an amazing piece of machinery. Not only does it go fast it also handles pretty damn well. It has low center of gravity and it is amazing in corners as well. I would absolutely not be surprised if Tesla is faster than many gasoline engine cars. It just has a lot of torque that comes instantly. It is also a good luxury cruiser. The problem is Model S is just too new in the market and to have a better opinion I think I would give it another 5 years to see how it holds up. And yes it is almost three times more expensive (if fully loaded) than 3IS. Otherwise it is a fantastic car.
Old 09-07-14, 09:32 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Tesla S is even faster than RCF 0-60 4.4 sec straight line but on the track RCF will smoke Tesla because it's a huge sedan there's not much agility.
Old 09-07-14, 11:11 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

First all, I'm not sure that I would bother to go up against a Tesla in a drag race if I was any stock IS (regardless of which IS-line you pick). It's not surprising that you got smoked by a Tesla in a street drag race - compare the torque numbers of the Model S with the IS350.

For anyone that's driven the Tesla Model S (particularly the P85+), it's not just about the straight line performance that's amazing, the car is a COMPLETE package that you can use every day. That's why I said in my recent post here that the Tesla Model S P85+ is the "perfect" practical car if you're comparing cars up to the $100K mark (or close to it). You have to remember that this car is a sedan, not designed to be a sports car.

If we are talking about cars designed to be sports cars, I don't think any stock, production car can match the Nissan GT-R at less than (or around) $100K. That's a car you buy if you truly care about nothing more than hardcore performance on the street & track. It's a monster to 60, a quarter mile, and would smoke anything Lexus, Tesla, etc put out around a track. Btw, if we're talking about over $100K, then the $150K 2015 GT-R Nismo will crush the Lexus LFA (even the Nürburgring edition) which costs over $400K!

My two cents,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 09-07-14 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-07-14, 03:32 PM
moahdriven
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea the Model S is a monster. Not just 0-60 acceleration but pulling on the freeway/highway its a beast. Its very hard to match the torque of that electric motor and as stated Teslas are not cheap experimental electric or hybrid crap cars; the engineering and technology in them is amazing.
But all in all, considering its cost and the fact that it will outgun an M5, no one should feel bad losing to a Model S.
Old 09-07-14, 04:25 PM
IS1911
Driver

Elon Musk is a genious but I have no desire to own an EV at this point in time. Battery technology is still in the stone age and all batteries degrade with time. They are also very dependent on temperature.

Anyone have an iPhone 5 (non-S) like me? Think about the battery life you got when they were new. Now they are two years old. Fortunately, the iPhone 6 is about to be announced and I'll be placing my pre-order as soon as Verizon starts accepting them but it's not practical to upgrade your EV every two years, unless you have A LOT of disposible income.
Old 09-07-14, 04:55 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when I was in the Air Force working on the flight line at Rhein-Main AFB we had what is called a "tug". This tug would haul those containers you see out on the flight line carrying everything from your luggage to animals. The ones we were outfitted with were lead acid battery operated and weighed a ton while measuring four feet across, four high by three wide. On top of that the tug itself was several tons made of quarter inch steel that also came with a one inch steel bumper four feet high by five wide that covered the front of this monstrosity. To give you an idea of the torque this beast had on a freshly juiced battery the front of the tug would easily be lifted off the ground by a foot if you stomped on the pedal. Lol. Would only go 15 mph but had serious power.
It occurred to me back then in 1990 that if anyone came out with a battery powered car that car would have serious instant power. Glad Tesla came along.

Quick Reply: Tesla S way too fast!