IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tesla S way too fast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 09:17 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting comments from a couple people. Since when has 12.7@108mph been considered "normal" and not very fast? And with a 130mph top speed it had better be a very long race for anything short of an ISF to reel it in.
Old 09-10-14, 10:51 PM
rparkzy
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
Interesting comments from a couple people. Since when has 12.7@108mph been considered "normal" and not very fast? And with a 130mph top speed it had better be a very long race for anything short of an ISF to reel it in.
let's be honest here...the Model S P85 is no joke. IS350 is not even in the same class as that car.

i'm not a fan of tesla but i have to respect what they are doing, it's pretty beastly for that price tag.
Old 09-11-14, 01:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Since the different levels of Model S powertrains have not been mentioned (other than the P85+):

Old 09-11-14, 09:49 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
12.7 is actually fast , but when I looked at this web site (here) I read the 13.7 and didn't notice the 12.4 sec. It seems that the they have three electric motors !
Old 09-11-14, 09:33 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys need to watch this.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=46f_1410286142
Old 09-12-14, 05:18 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

The thing about the Tesla is they're not just really fast, but also really quiet at the same time. When a Tesla P85 suddenly shoots out of nowhere, it gives a goose bump feel of a ghost floating at light speed. That's what I felt in my situation, I was like ohhh :O

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 09-12-14 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 08:37 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I might try and test drive one this weekend?
Old 09-12-14, 09:27 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Model S is the best car I've ever driven, period. Not even a competition. That thing is fantastic. Unfortunately it was a bit of a stretch price-wise, which is why I settled for the IS350. I'm happy with my IS, but as soon as the Tesla Model 3 comes out, I'll be trading in for that. I'm completely sold on electric cars, but only when they're actually good. Something like the Nissan Leaf is a joke and I would never consider that.
Old 09-12-14, 05:35 PM
euro.r
Driver

Originally Posted by JGard18
The Model S is the best car I've ever driven, period. Not even a competition. That thing is fantastic. Unfortunately it was a bit of a stretch price-wise, which is why I settled for the IS350. I'm happy with my IS, but as soon as the Tesla Model 3 comes out, I'll be trading in for that. I'm completely sold on electric cars, but only when they're actually good. Something like the Nissan Leaf is a joke and I would never consider that.
While I haven't been fortunate to drive the Model S, I agree with you that I'm very interested in the Model 3. It'll fit well into my life, particularly my home's PV system which currently zeroes out my electric bill even daily AC usage during these hot months in Hawaii.
Old 09-12-14, 05:49 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JGard18
The Model S is the best car I've ever driven, period. Not even a competition. That thing is fantastic.
To each his own, but have you ever driven an E92 M3? The sound and fury of that M V8, and that 7-speed dual-clutch, so eager to downshift... That's a special car.
Old 09-12-14, 05:59 PM
HammerDown
Rookie

When my AMG was stock on stret tires it would have a hard time beating the Tesla if I didn't get a good launch but on drag radials the Tesla wouldn't have a chance. I think that car is the ultimate sleeper because if you catch a performance sedan or most sports cars sleeping off the line you will beat them.
Old 09-12-14, 07:06 PM
ravicchio
Driver School Candidate

If you ever drive a Telsa it feels fast! 0 to 60 times are not as important as torque. I own the IS 350 and
I love the fit and finish, the way it handles, and I think it will be reliable. One thing it is not is fast! I am
very disappointed with the power. You never feel like you are driving a true sports car. It is always wanting for
power. If you add passengers it can barely get out of it's own way. Many cars ( that cost less ) fell much
faster. I still think it's a great car but Lexus really dropped the ball by just moving the engine over from the
old model with no increase in HP.
Old 05-13-15, 12:44 AM
soloist3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have got a 2IS 350, at 4.8-4.9sec to 60mph, it's a comfy place to be at. I sleep better at night knowing that I am under 5 seconds to 60mph, dangerously close to the Tesla's numbers, though honestly, I like the 2IS body, inside and out, better. The Tesla looks like it borrows body panel design from chrysler, not my thing at all. Another thing, the IS350 is gasoline, no huge oscillating electromagnetic fields around me all the time. I wonder how many Tesla units you are exposed to while driving a Tesla? It must be close to sitting in an MRI machine. Now of course EM fields are not well known to cause health problems per se, but these are some seriously strong, localized fields they are putting out. My opinion entirely, but, I am not a fan. I realize alternators and starters have EM fields associated with them, obviously as one is a motor, the other is basically a dynamo, but these are fairy small in comparison to the motors used in these Tesla's.

Also, perhaps it's the gearing in the 3IS? The 6 speed feels fast ALL the time, I mean, it NEVER feels slow. Well, ok, there are some times where the car does some "gear hunting" which can feel a little bit slow, is the 3IS really so much slower? Well, I suppose looking at the average times posted for both cars, the 2IS is .5 a second faster to 60mph, that is pretty significant. I guess my opinion is that, no matter who is in my car, it never feels slow, and I have driven some very fast cars, actually quite recently.

Last edited by soloist3; 05-13-15 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 06:28 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No one seems to mention why the Tesla should beat a fuel injected or naturally aspirated engine... With both gas versions the engine takes time to build power and acceleration. The Tesla is instantly at full power, zero lag.

That being said only driving 200+ miles doesn't work for everyone...
Without Tesla Power charge station you roughly get 30 miles per hour of charge.... That doubles with the peer station... Can you imagine it taking 4 hours to fill you gas tank???
Old 05-13-15, 07:44 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
I encountered an immature Tesla S driver today. I was driving my IS350 F Sport in a hurry to my destination and this Tesla S came up next to me at a stop light after I passed him earlier. Once the lights turned green, he shoot out like a lightning showing me how much faster his Tesla is than my Lexus. I didn't want to get into the road raging confrontation and I knew the Tesla S was probably faster.

Afterwards I went online to check how fast the Tesla S is and guess what...... 0-60 at 4.2 seconds according to the website, that time destroys the BMW 335i as well as making this thing a beast for an electric car. This is quite embarrassing that a plug in electrical car can pull on so many sports car out there.

I just wished my IS350 was in the 4 seconds range that would probably feel more rewarding.
Also dont forget it gives instant torque so it will be faster and also cost 100K as well.

Quick Reply: Tesla S way too fast!