IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Parking Outside - No Garage

Old 09-07-14, 03:32 PM
jeffyffej
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Outside - No Garage

Going to be buying a brand new 2015 IS350 F-Sport. Problem is I don't have a garage at my place, and I will be parking it outside. Any tips or suggestions (car covers, waxes, etc) on how to keep the car from getting too sun damaged, dirty, etc. Or if this even matters? Really want to park it inside but don't have that option at the moment.

Anyone else park their cars outside of their homes? If so, how do you keep your car nice and clean?
Old 09-07-14, 03:53 PM
mrkjsn
Rookie

Lucky for me I have a garage, but I would get a sun sail myself. Very reasonably priced and won't look like an eye sore. Personly not a fan of car covers since they have a tendency to scratch paint.

Old 09-07-14, 03:57 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

are you parking on the streets or on a driveway? I honestly wouldn't buy such an expensive car if I had to park it on the streets. There's no where around your place that you can rent a garage?
Old 09-07-14, 04:09 PM
IS1911
Driver

Forget the car cover, taking it on and off will do more harm than good to your finish, especially at the corners where it fits tighly. They are also a real PITA to deal with when wet. Rain and snow are not an issue when your car is parked, it's driving on a snowy road with all the salt (or brine) and other chemicals used for melting it that messes up your finish. Get that stuff off right away whether you park in a garage or not. Acid rain has become less of an issue than it once was with the descreased manufacturing in the US over the last 5-7 years although that still depends where you live. I would go with a Paint Sealant instead of a wax. They are MUCH easier to apply and remove they protect better and they last longer than any wax. Good luck with your new IS.
Old 09-07-14, 05:02 PM
jeffyffej
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tea
are you parking on the streets or on a driveway? I honestly wouldn't buy such an expensive car if I had to park it on the streets. There's no where around your place that you can rent a garage?
I'll be parking on my drive way. The sail looks cool but I have a power line running over the driveway. I might have to go with parking on the street. What if I get a clear bra for the corners would that remedy the scratching?
Old 09-07-14, 05:24 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by jeffyffej
What if I get a clear bra for the corners would that remedy the scratching?
It would definitely help prevent damage at the corners but I'm still going to suggest that a car cover is not a good option for a daily driver. They are best used for keeping dust off a garage queen or for a car parked outside that only gets driven once a week (or so). They can be very difficult keep clean. All it takes is one grain of dirt to get caught up in it and then you have damage. They are difficult to fold and store. Believe me after a month or so you aren't going to want to deal with it anyore. Unless you live near the equator, a quality sealant applied perhaps twice a year is all you really need to protect the finish from UV sun damage. Oh and don't let the dealer sell you a sealant, they will overcharge you and may not even apply it. Apply it yourself or go to a reputable detailer in your area. If the sun hits the windshield for multiple hours per day you might also want to invest in one of those sun shades to protect the dash. These are very inexpensive.

I am also going to reiterate what was said above. If you have to park in the street this may not be the best time in your life to own a luxury car. Your IS could become a "target" for some bored kids looking to have some "fun". If you plan on moving in a few years to a place with a garage then continue saving instead of buying now. That's less you'll have to pay later. If you absolutely need a new car now because your current one is on it's way out then get something like a pre-owned Camry or Accord coming off a 2-3 lease. Something like this will hold it's value very well so when you get that place with a garage you'll be able to trade it towards an IS or whatever you like at that time.
Old 09-07-14, 06:02 PM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I park mine outside and I just wash it every weekend. Car stays nice and clean and not too dirty. You won't notice it is dirty until you go right up next to it.
Old 09-07-14, 06:52 PM
997c2
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm of the opinion that a car parked on the street with a cover on is an invitation to vandals.
Old 09-07-14, 08:25 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You're a very brave person. I would never leave a nice car outside overnight. The chances of people rear-ending you when parking, or jealous people keying, or thieves stealing rims are too high lol.
Old 09-07-14, 08:51 PM
jeffyffej
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
You're a very brave person. I would never leave a nice car outside overnight. The chances of people rear-ending you when parking, or jealous people keying, or thieves stealing rims are too high lol.
Haha I wouldn't park it on the street but it is another option. I'm probably going to keep it on the driveway. Looking to move hopefully in the next month or two, but just wanted to see what a temporary solution might be.
Old 09-07-14, 09:18 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Using the covers on your daily isn't smart. You might enjoy it for a month but you'll get sick of it. Just wash it once a week, polish/wax twice a year should keep it clean for a long time
Old 09-07-14, 09:30 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

buy a white car because any other color is going to show the damage to be done to a car parked outdoors a whole lot more than a car painted white.
Old 09-08-14, 08:14 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get car coating like Opticoat or CQuartz. Way better than wax or sealants
Old 09-08-14, 09:19 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
buy a white car because any other color is going to show the damage to be done to a car parked outdoors a whole lot more than a car painted white.
This. I've had white and silver cars parked outside and they stayed pretty clean in between weekly washes. I've had black and it would get a coat of dust within a couple hours of sitting.

Wax monthly and spray wax after every wash and it'll keep the dust off and the morning dew will roll off.
Old 09-08-14, 01:43 PM
Alant514
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just park my car on the driveway, no problem for me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking Outside - No Garage