IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rotors Already?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 11:42 AM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotors Already?

Out of answers so I figured I would head on over here to see if you guys can give me some insight.

I have a 2014 is250 AWD - Purchased the vehicle March 2014, currently the car has 13,500 on it. While driving I notice I have a problem stopping at high speeds but even more so at low speeds! I literally have to jam on the break for the car to stop. Went to have the tires rotated (didn't know I couldn't rotate them) and was told the reason I can't stop is because the rotors are shot, warped, garbage. Pads have a lot of life left however may be wearing unevenly due to the rotor issue.

I won't be bringing the car to the dealer so I figured I would have an independent shop do the work. So far I have been quoted $300 without pads, 300 w/pads. Labor included in both prices.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-14, 12:23 PM
mrkjsn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not have the dealer fix it under Basic Warranty for free? Rotors should not warp that easily.
Old 09-04-14, 12:23 PM
KS13
Driver

Wow that was quick. Do you do a lot of city driving or Highway driving? I have the 350 so hopefully I don't have that problem with the bigger brakes.
Old 09-04-14, 01:10 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KS13
Wow that was quick. Do you do a lot of city driving or Highway driving? I have the 350 so hopefully I don't have that problem with the bigger brakes.
I do a lot of highway driving - I don't think the dealer will help me. I am in NJ - you get a different answer from each dealer, not ready to go on a goose chase for free rotors - I know I drive a ton just not certain they would go this quickly!
Old 09-04-14, 01:18 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by isosunrise
I do a lot of highway driving - I don't think the dealer will help me. I am in NJ - you get a different answer from each dealer, not ready to go on a goose chase for free rotors - I know I drive a ton just not certain they would go this quickly!
Still and all, rotors should not need replacement at 13,500 mies unless they were extremely abused. You should press Lexus on this - for crying out loud, my civic's rotors were good for 90,000 miles.

Bill G
Old 09-04-14, 01:25 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm shocked the rotors are gone that soon. I would look into this further. If you took it to a tire place I'd be suspect of that diagnosis. Some of those guys are morons (no offense) and I wouldn't trust them to torque to the correct spec. Most just hit it with an impact and send you on your way.
Old 09-04-14, 01:42 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how worn are you tires
Old 09-04-14, 02:07 PM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just upgrade to a BBK.
Old 09-04-14, 03:17 PM
mrkjsn
Rookie

To be honest, I'm not even sure whoever checked your rotors are right. Symptom of bad rotors would be more like pulsating when at a slow stop. Having a hard time braking sounds like a pressure issue to me. The dealer may need to bleed your brake lines to get rid of any air caught between the brake fluids. Having air within the lines would cause you to feel like you have to push hard and all the way to get something out of it. I would definitely take your car to the dealership and just simply tell them that your brakes don't feel like they're working properly, and you're concerned about safety. Unless the highway you drive in are extremely hilly, there's no reason why your rotors should go bad unless they're defective.
Old 09-04-14, 11:02 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mrkjsn
To be honest, I'm not even sure whoever checked your rotors are right. Symptom of bad rotors would be more like pulsating when at a slow stop. Having a hard time braking sounds like a pressure issue to me. The dealer may need to bleed your brake lines to get rid of any air caught between the brake fluids. Having air within the lines would cause you to feel like you have to push hard and all the way to get something out of it. I would definitely take your car to the dealership and just simply tell them that your brakes don't feel like they're working properly, and you're concerned about safety. Unless the highway you drive in are extremely hilly, there's no reason why your rotors should go bad unless they're defective.
+1 to what mrkjsn stated.

I would get multiple assessments on the situation. It definitely sounds like a pressure issue than your rotors being shot. I would ask a proper mechanic to check if your master & slave cylinders are simply shot (need replacement) or if your brake system simply requires bleeding.

Your rotors going bad at less than 14K miles would be a major issue and it's highly unlikely that happened.

Best of luck,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-05-14, 06:04 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

If you have to really step on the brakes it could be low brake fluid or air in the system as others have said. Warped rotors would cause vibration and shaking of the steering wheel.
Old 09-05-14, 06:28 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

I recently just went into the dealer for 10k service. I bought my IS350 F Sport last year october 2013. My front brakes were done and rotors were damaged by the wore off brakes which left metal to metal touching. I could hear the sound that's why I went into the dealership.

I too didn't expected the brakes and rotors to end their life so fast, but sometimes I do some hard braking and I drive 90% city. Seeing how your at 13k mileage already might make sense if mines are due at 10k. $300 for rotors and labor is pretty decent price seeing how your dealer only charges $100 for labors. I believe the rotors cost $200 at least for my IS350.

What happen to me was I got the rotors machined and replaced the brakes, but afterwards I felt like my braking power was not as great as my 10% brakes that I replaced. This is probably due to the rotors being machined, seems like rotors play a pretty important role on braking power.
Old 09-05-14, 06:35 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Hmmmmm I'm more and more convinced Lexus skimped a little this gen in quality just to keep the price point the same.
Old 09-05-14, 08:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i've tracked my car twice already, no issues with brakes, no noises, nothing
Old 09-05-14, 10:10 AM
mrkjsn
Rookie

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
I recently just went into the dealer for 10k service. I bought my IS350 F Sport last year october 2013. My front brakes were done and rotors were damaged by the wore off brakes which left metal to metal touching. I could hear the sound that's why I went into the dealership.

I too didn't expected the brakes and rotors to end their life so fast, but sometimes I do some hard braking and I drive 90% city. Seeing how your at 13k mileage already might make sense if mines are due at 10k. $300 for rotors and labor is pretty decent price seeing how your dealer only charges $100 for labors. I believe the rotors cost $200 at least for my IS350.

What happen to me was I got the rotors machined and replaced the brakes, but afterwards I felt like my braking power was not as great as my 10% brakes that I replaced. This is probably due to the rotors being machined, seems like rotors play a pretty important role on braking power.

What you're probably feeling is the difference in bite from when you're braking metal to metal due to your worn out pads vs. the pad to metal surface. Unless you're a cyborg, I'm not sure how your feet will be able to tell a 10% reduction in braking unless you're pushing your car 10/10 limits in a race track. Could also be a placebo effect.

Originally Posted by Boomin
Hmmmmm I'm more and more convinced Lexus skimped a little this gen in quality just to keep the price point the same.
I would not jump to conclusions based on what you're reading in a forum. Most people who have no issue with their cars will not post on a website to talk about their perfect experience. Especially since there's a potential mis-diagnosis going on here with his rotors.

Quick Reply: Rotors Already?