IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Wish they'd bring the IS 300h to the US for 2016

Old 08-30-14, 03:10 PM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wish they'd bring the IS 300h hybrid to the US for 2016

This might sound silly but the leather steering wheel is a big deal for me.

They need to tweak the acceleration a bit and I'd buy it right away if they offered it in the US. I realize we won't see a 2015 model but I'm hoping to see a revamped or tweaked 2016 Lexus IS300h.

Last edited by boe; 09-03-14 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-31-14, 03:21 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're coming out with a turbo engine most likely call IS200T or something like that to replace the IS250 model that everyone has been complaining for its lack of speed and fuel efficiency. I do prefer they bring an IS300h instead and it's definitely a better replacement, but it seems like majority of people love to see a turbo IS. Lexus' decision to get rid of the IS250 is definitely hands down an excellent decision. We'll most likely see the changes in 2016. Hopefully they wont replace the IS350 yet since it's such a smooth and reliable engine for the GS350 as well.
Old 08-31-14, 06:01 AM
boe
Driver

Thanks - I guess the question for me is will they make some sort of hybrid IS for the US.
Old 08-31-14, 07:18 AM
mrkjsn
Rookie

Good question and no one knows for sure at this point. What we do know is that Lexus is going after the 3 series and they'll eventually need something to compete against the diesels. Might not be until after the new turbo motor is released, but I don't see why this is not a possibility in this segment at some point.
Old 08-31-14, 09:36 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you guys hate the IS250, youll want to kill the IS300h. Its even slower than the IS250
Old 08-31-14, 09:43 AM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
If you guys hate the IS250, youll want to kill the IS300h. Its even slower than the IS250
Are you replying in the right thread?
Old 08-31-14, 12:46 PM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

When I spoke with Kato San (CE for the new Lexus NX) back in June, he mentioned that the new turbo engine will make its way into the IS when production levels allow for it. Because the entire engine will be built in house, production will be limited to that one factory.

I also had the opportunity to ask him why there wasn't an IS 300H for Canada/USA. He told me that the IS300H failed the North American crash test and that the battery location made it prone to fire in severe crashes. Lexus USA had requested for a hybrid IS, but were denied allocations due to the failed crash tests.

For the record, I too would like see a IS300H here in Canada/USA for the 2016 model year.
Old 08-31-14, 12:52 PM
boe
Driver

Thanks - that certainly would explain the reason for no IS hybrid in the US. In the news Lexus said they didn't think there was demand in the US for an IS hybrid. Would seem strange there was demand for an ES, LS, CT, RW and GS but just no demand for the IS...
Old 09-01-14, 04:44 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vuong05
When I spoke with Kato San (CE for the new Lexus NX) back in June, he mentioned that the new turbo engine will make its way into the IS when production levels allow for it. Because the entire engine will be built in house, production will be limited to that one factory.

I also had the opportunity to ask him why there wasn't an IS 300H for Canada/USA. He told me that the IS300H failed the North American crash test and that the battery location made it prone to fire in severe crashes. Lexus USA had requested for a hybrid IS, but were denied allocations due to the failed crash tests.

For the record, I too would like see a IS300H here in Canada/USA for the 2016 model year.
And still the hybrid IS got a top 5 star rating in the Euro-ncap crash test. Strange...
Old 09-01-14, 05:16 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

I doubt that's the reason why they couldn't bring the IS Hybrid to America. If Lexus wants to do it, nothing would stop such an experienced auto company to pass a crash test lol.

I actually regretted not considering the GS450h which is faster than both the IS350 and GS350 along with 28 city mpg rating. If anyone plans on keeping a car for long, the GS450h seems like a hands down great option to consider. It does cost a lot though but it's a GS

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 09-01-14 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-01-14, 12:33 PM
boe
Driver

I'm just hoping they have a revamped IS hybrid coming to the US - SOON Who knows we might actually see the NS4 by that time.
Old 09-01-14, 08:01 PM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
I doubt that's the reason why they couldn't bring the IS Hybrid to America. If Lexus wants to do it, nothing would stop such an experienced auto company to pass a crash test lol.

I actually regretted not considering the GS450h which is faster than both the IS350 and GS350 along with 28 city mpg rating. If anyone plans on keeping a car for long, the GS450h seems like a hands down great option to consider. It does cost a lot though but it's a GS
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I got confirmation from Brian Smith (VP of Marketing for Lexus USA) that the IS300H also failed the North American crash test. He cited the same problem of the batteries possibly catching fire during severe side impact. TMC didn't want to redesign the IS300H solely for the North American market as they deemed there wasn't enough demand. We consumers beg to differ

I also agree that the GS450h is a great balance between performance, luxury, sportiness and fuel efficiency.
Old 09-01-14, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

The problem Lexus is finding In the US is that there is no demand for performance hybrids. The ES and RX hybrids sell well, but they aren't performance hybrids, they are cars bought by people looking for driving appliances, and the hybrid powertrain lends itself quite well to that. But the GS and LS hybrids sell quite poorly, Americans just aren't buying into the idea of hybrid as performance. It's not just Lexus, look at all the players. Americans see hybrids as economical, not sporty.

IMHO that's why we don't have a hybrid IS, because Lexus feels that the ES appeals to economy minded buyers at that price point and IMHO they are probably right.
Old 09-03-14, 08:43 AM
boe
Driver

I think it is hard to say there is no demand for performance hybrid when there is such a small selection. It is like saying there is no demand 10TB SSDs.
Old 09-03-14, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

There actually is a pretty wide selection believe it or not. Lexus offers every model but the IS and the big SUVs in a hybrid, the only ones that sell are the CT, RX and the ES, and they are the economy minded hybrids. They've tried to market the hybrid drive as performance in the GS and LS and charge more for them...nobody buys them.

Infiniti has a hybrid M line, nobody buys them. BMW offers ActiveHybrid models. Nobody buys them.

In any event an IS300h would not be a performance hybrid, the IS300h is slower than the IS250 as some others have mentioned. Its just that they have a $45-55k economy hybrid model in the ES, and Americans on the whole who are not enthusiasts prefer a bigger car to a smaller car. If Lexus sold an IS300h, a car that would not appeal to enthusiasts because of its low level of performance alongside an ES300h that was bigger and in their minds better for the same money...I think that would be redundant.

Just look at yourself, you've said that you love everything about your ESh but the wood/leather steering wheel. Would you buy a smaller car with less features for the same money in an IS300h when you admitted in the other thread you don't understand the platform and dynamic plusses of the IS/GS just to have an all leather steering wheel? Perhaps you would, but I don't think many people would.

Remember that in most markets where they offer the IS300h they ether don't have an ES300h offered there, or they are markets where the owners pay huge taxes and city fees for gas vehicles that they save on with hybrids or diesels...such as in the UK. In the US we don't have those issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wish they'd bring the IS 300h to the US for 2016