IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New to the Forum, want some honest opinions

Old 08-26-14, 08:30 PM
AgentX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Forum, want some honest opinions

So I'm new to this CL forum. I am currently in the market for a new car and the 2014 IS350 F Sport is 1 of them on my list. The other is TLX V6 (when SH-AWD arrives).
Has anyone here driven either or all 3? What are your comparisons and opinions?
The TLX forum I've recently joined seems to have a love-hate relationship towards the TLX because of it's bland styling. However, performance-wise it isn't entirely too bad.

What you all think? I hope to purchase 1 of the 2 by October.
Old 08-26-14, 09:03 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wife wants the TLX, I'm not too thrilled about it, it is FWD. The value for TLX is great for the price, but I highly doubt TLX will even compare. I haven't test drive it yet myself.
Old 08-26-14, 10:18 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My brother was in the same boat as you. He chose is350 f sport over tlx.
Some people say not to buy the first model year because there will be bugs and stuff.
Also fwd
Old 08-26-14, 11:35 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TLX also has a SH-AWD option if you opt for the V6. the SH AWD might be helpful for OP since he lives in colorado
Old 08-27-14, 01:06 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 395 Likes on 240 Posts

99 % genuinely helpful and kind here but others just ignore
Old 08-27-14, 03:44 AM
agp
Driver School Candidate

The TLX is a little dull. It's more for comfort than sport. But that's not to say the IS isn't comfortable.
Old 08-27-14, 04:22 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Well since you're going to buy a luxury brand then Lexus? I'm not being bias here but Acura is just a better "Honda" since it's built and design by Americans. Lexus on the other side is different from Toyota in a way that it's completely design and built in Japan. You want the quality of an American design/built or Japanese? Also the Lexus badge is ranked higher than Acura. The only Japanese brand competing with the Germans atm besides Infiniti which I don't know much about. That said, hope to see you around Club Lexus in the future
Old 08-27-14, 07:17 AM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AgentX
So I'm new to this CL forum. I am currently in the market for a new car and the 2014 IS350 F Sport is 1 of them on my list. The other is TLX V6 (when SH-AWD arrives).
Has anyone here driven either or all 3? What are your comparisons and opinions?
The TLX forum I've recently joined seems to have a love-hate relationship towards the TLX because of it's bland styling. However, performance-wise it isn't entirely too bad.

What you all think? I hope to purchase 1 of the 2 by October.
We live at about 5000+ feet elevation in the Rockies and own a 2012 ACURA TL SH-AWD and an 2014 IS350 F Sport AWD. I can't fully compare the 2 since my wife now takes the Lexus to work everyday instead of her Acura, but the Lexus's interior is more upscale and the whole car feels lighter behind the wheel. We took a look at the new TLX and for us it was a no brainer to get the IS 350 F Sport. It hasn't snowed yet, so I don't know how the Lexus AWD will handle it on the steep snow covered hills, but to its credit the Acura SH-AWD has been amazing in the snow the past 2 seasons.
Old 08-27-14, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
Well since you're going to buy a luxury brand then Lexus? I'm not being bias here but Acura is just a better "Honda" since it's built and design by Americans. Lexus on the other side is different from Toyota in a way that it's completely design and built in Japan. You want the quality of an American design/built or Japanese? Also the Lexus badge is ranked higher than Acura. The only Japanese brand competing with the Germans atm besides Infiniti which I don't know much about. That said, hope to see you around Club Lexus in the future
Just FYI, Lexus builds the RX in Canada and will be building the ES in Kentucky starting next year. Being built in America or built in Japan isn't the issue here. I'm not sure I see the issue with something being "designed in America" vs "designed in Japan" in this day and age.

Anyways, the biggest issue for me with the TLX vs the IS is the TL being a FWD car vs the IS being a true RWD car. I haven't driven the TLX, but I don't think I would cross shop the two.
Old 08-27-14, 08:35 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my home-works, the TLX SH-AWD is very sophisticated system, and supposedly one of the best AWD system on the market. The performance can be compared to that of the Lancer EVO, but the TLX chasis is different. It is heavier, bulkier. Both Acura and Mitsubishi AWD can not perform as well as Subaru AWD on the gravel, off the pavement, or under severe weather conditions.

What are you looking for ? If no weather involved, only performance, and don't care about speed. The TL-SH-AWD will be your best.

TL = Luxurious, Helicopter Cockpit features, Comfort ride, great handling on the pavement, quiet ride.
Evo = Sporty and stiff ride, Nosy, Corner and twisty champs, great handling on the pavement
STI = Sporty and stiff ride, Noisy, Corner and twisty champs, great handling on the pavement and off pavement, severe weather conditions
RX AWD = Very Luxurious, quiet ride, tall view, easy entry, easy baby occupation in/out. AWD is almost a gimmick. The RX AWD is the worse of all of the above. Under conditions, the RX AWD will be the first to give up. Subaru will keep you going under anything
Old 08-27-14, 09:16 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
How is Acura a better Honda but Lexus isn't a better Toyota? Honda and Toyota are both their parent companies respectively. Lexus just might be more popular right now but that doesn't mean Acura makes bad products.
Old 08-27-14, 09:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

To be fair there are some differences. Lexus has their own design and development staff and crew, while Acuras are designed alongside Honda products by the same designers. Lexus is more differentiated from Toyota than Acura is from Honda.
Old 08-27-14, 11:43 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
To be fair there are some differences. Lexus has their own design and development staff and crew, while Acuras are designed alongside Honda products by the same designers. Lexus is more differentiated from Toyota than Acura is from Honda.
I think that's because Lexus has way more models than Acura. Acura has 5 models currently, whereas Lexus has like 10 models. It's easier for them to differentiate the brands.
Old 08-27-14, 11:53 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Between the IS and tlx, I'd choose the IS. However, between the tlx and ES, which I think is its main competitor, I'd go with the tlx
Old 08-27-14, 12:33 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tea
Between the IS and tlx, I'd choose the IS. However, between the tlx and ES, which I think is its main competitor, I'd go with the tlx
I totally agree on that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to the Forum, want some honest opinions