New to the Forum, want some honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 05:11 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goshawk823
Seriously? WTF?

With your prior rant, don't you mean made in the US, not Japan?

What an asshat.
Alright I made a typo.

Back to the topic. Simply put, if given a choice of having your Lexus made in America vs Japan which option would you choose? Answer this and enough said thanks!

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 09-02-14 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-02-14, 05:33 AM
AgentX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slust
Actually it looks like I am wrong about those two features. They look tied to the Luxury Package.

Official 2015 Product Information

FACTORY OPTIONS
 18-inch wheels with summer or all-season tires; IS 250 mesh-style; IS 350 five-spoke
 Back-up camera with dynamic gridlines (for Display Audio)
 Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
 Heated steering wheel (AWD only)
 Intuitive Park Assist – Front & Rear
 Lane Departure Warning with Smart Beam
 Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with Pre-Collision System

Navigation System
 Back-up camera with dynamic gridlines
 Bluetooth® 3.0 hands free phone and automatic phonebook download capabilities
 HD Radio™ with iTunes tagging (complimentary traffic and weather)
 Lexus Enform App Suite (subscription free): Bing™, Yelp®, iHeartRadio™, Facebook Places™,
Movietickets.com™, OpenTable®, Pandora®, Slacker, Stocks, Fuel Prices, Sports
 Lexus Enform Destination Services: Destination Assist, and eDestination (one-year trial subscription
included, requires Lexus Enform Safety Connect)
 Lexus Enform Remote: Allows customers to remotely view and control certain aspects of their Lexus
vehicle via a mobile application for iOS and Android smartphone users. Lexus Enform Remote application
is separate from Lexus Enform App Suite application (not on head unit). Requires Lexus Enform Safety
Connect and Lexus Enform Remote subscription (one-year trial subscriptions included). Customers must
register for service. Provides: Ability to use with multiple Lexus vehicles; email and push notifications;
Guest Driver Monitor; Remote Door Lock/Unlock; Remote Pre-HVAC; Vehicle Finder; Vehicle Status
Report; Vehicle Alerts.
 Lexus Insider™
 MP3/WMA and dual USB/iPod® audio input plugs
 Navigation System
 Voice command casual-language Voice Recognition system

Mark Levinson® with Navigation system
 Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound system (15-speakers, advanced discrete amplifier design with
835-watts continuous power at less than 0.1% THD, 7.1-channel speaker architecture) with Clari-Fi
technology

Premium Package
 Twin projector LED Headlamps (low & high beam)
 Heated/ventilated seats

Luxury Package (requires Back-up Camera, Navigation, or Mark Levinson)
 Twin projector LED Headlamps (low and high beam)
 Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
 Rain-sensing wipers
 Outside rear-view mirror functions (electrochromic, memory, reverse tilt-down)
 Leather trimmed interior with contrast stitching
 Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel
 Two position memory - Driver’s seat, mirrors and steering column
 Seat heater/ventilation
 Wood trim

F SPORT
 Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with SPORT+ driving mode (IS 350 RWD only)
 Aluminum sport pedals
 Black headliner
 F SPORT 10-way driver (includes power lumbar) / eight-way passenger power heated sport seats with
contrast stitching
 F SPORT 18-inch staggered width split five-spoke wheels with summer or all-season tires
 F SPORT badging (side and rear)
 F SPORT tuned suspension
 Heated and ventilated seats
 High-friction(μ) brake pads
 Intake sound generator (Standard IS 350)
 LFA inspired TFT instrumentation
 Perforated leather steering wheel with F SPORT logo and shift ****
 Silver performance trim
 Stainless steel scuff plates with Lexus logo
 Twin projector LED Headlamps (low and high beam)
 Unique front fascia and grille (F SPORT package deletes foglamps)

Variable Gear Ratio Steering (Requires IS 350 RWD + F SPORT)
 Power tilt/telescoping steering column
 Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS)

Release Article
Cool! I didn't know the upgrades for the 2015 f sport gets these upgrades. The dealer told me there will be "no significant upgrades" when I asked. I may have to wait and get the 2015 instead. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-02-14, 05:46 AM
AgentX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slust
You might want to wait for the 2015 if you really are leaning toward the IS350 ...though to be honest, it sounds like you are leaning toward the Acura.

2015 IS 350
- F-Sport getting memory seats (believe it is tied to the key fob vs buttons)
- F-Sport getting ventilated seats
- F-Sport getting heated steering wheel
- Getting Dynamic Lines on reverse camera
- Getting automatic pointing down mirrors on reverse

When I switched the mouse control to remove Haptic Feedback and increase the speed it works a lot better. If my PC mouse had haptic feedback I would hate using the PC.

The lack of sunglasses holder and slim cubby space is common complaint of the IS. I do not feel any rocking motion while in drive, that is just weird. Shame you never got the IS above 40mph. The car loves to drive and taking it in fast turns really points out how the superior the handling is to the competition.

If you talk with the Lexus dealership again, you need to tell them mid-$40k range. NM only has two dealerships as well and they are owned by the same owner and you can get a IS350 for mid-$40k here. That is purchase, not lease.
The dealer was willing to get the 2014 down to $47k finance. I almost took it, but now may opt to wait for the 2015 and see if he'll be able to come down from the $51k price tag I see listed on their website. Looks like the 2015s just arrived in the dealerships.
Old 09-02-14, 10:35 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OrionLex
So it sounds like you liked both! But did you prefer one over the other? I guess I don't have a choice anyway since I ordered an F-Sport vehicle, but I'm just curious how they compare...
I can't say one was better than the other on first impressions, though I did notice the slightly more.. bolstering of the F-Sport, I think? Personal preference may sway some towards more or less bolstering. The only other difference I noticed was leather vs. NuLux. I think the leather felt a bit better, but I expect the NuLux will probably hold up better over time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't have let the seats sway me one way or another between luxury and F-Sport, but rather the other features of the car - ML, AVS, etc.
Old 09-02-14, 12:40 PM
goshawk823
Rookie

I decided when buying my IS350 that the options that aren't available on the F sport were worth more to me. I didn't (and still don't) understand why they didn't offer heated/ventilated, fog lights, etc. on the F sport models when other areas/countries can have them. Note, I did take an F sport out twice for a test drive.

I also balked at the summer only tires on the F sport. Chevrolet/GM did this to me with both of the 5th gen Camaros that I owned (RS, and SS/RS).
I drive my car everyday, all season. Having to have a second set of wheels and tires is a royal pain in the ***. So, the AWD version gave me all seasons (noisy as they are), so I didn't need to go out and buy another set. I found trying to drive in sketchy weather on summer tires wasn't very confidence-inspiring.
Old 09-02-14, 04:13 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be hard for anyone to win you over for the IS if you are comparing feature for feature. Acura is packed full of them and are priced very well when you compare to a Lexus. What you will get that you cannot buy from Acura will be much better services and very likely better reliability for the life of the car. Acura still have a long way to go to match Lexus's level of customer care.
Old 09-02-14, 04:48 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cFoo
It will be hard for anyone to win you over for the IS if you are comparing feature for feature. Acura is packed full of them and are priced very well when you compare to a Lexus. What you will get that you cannot buy from Acura will be much better services and very likely better reliability for the life of the car. Acura still have a long way to go to match Lexus's level of customer care.
I think service depends on the dealership. I know some Lexus dealers that are pretty shady.
Old 09-03-14, 05:03 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Luxury vs Sport. Trust me you can feel the luxuriousness of the IS350 luxury package vs the F Sport. Memory seats aren't just there for memorizing seat, steering wheel, mirror positions but also helps you move the driver's seats and steering wheel back to the position you preset before turning on your car. Only technologies you can find in the F Sport are driving technologies such as Sport+ mode along with AVS and VGRS. The biggest technology that caught my attention was the LFA inspired F Sport gauge, but it doesn't look as cool after awhile especially when you see the RC F gauges haha. You would probably dislike the silver trim on F Sport though because it's relatively cheap compare to wood trims. If you can wait until 2016, the center console would probably be reposition with a better arm rest pad and etc.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 09-03-14 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-03-14, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I'm not an IS owner, but to me the F Sport fits the IS' character overall better than the Luxury model. The design of the IS focuses on sport, the layout of the interior, the proportions of the exterior. Sure the luxury model gets you better seat material, and some small pieces of wood trim, but the wood trim looks slapped on there, and if I were buying a car in that range and I wanted a luxurious car vs a sporty car, I'd buy a different car quite frankly.

The only IS I'd consider is the F Sport.