IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New to the Forum, want some honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 01:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
Between the IS and tlx, I'd choose the IS. However, between the tlx and ES, which I think is its main competitor, I'd go with the tlx
I'd actually buy a Hyundai Genesis.
Old 08-27-14, 01:59 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'd actually buy a Hyundai Genesis.
I think the Genesis is nice, but I don't think it'll age well. The first Gen Genesis looked very nice when it first came out, but I think it aged horribly. There's no denying you get a lot for the money though with the Genesis
Old 08-27-14, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I don't disagree, but I also think that in general Acuras don't age well...
Old 08-27-14, 02:09 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't disagree, but I also think that in general Acuras don't age well...
I somewhat agree. The only old Acuras that still looks good are the nsx, 2nd Gen integra, 2ng Gen legend, rsx, and 3rd Gen tl
Old 08-27-14, 07:08 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget about 10 years from now, I actually think the Acura front is ugly and looks out dated.

Last edited by Dark9t316; 08-27-14 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 07:49 PM
ISISGUY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
Forget about 10 years from now, I actually think the Acura front is ugly and looks out dated.
How many "ugly front end" comments have we had to endure about the 3IS... Lol

I love the value of the Acura brand, I went from an Acura to a Lexus myself. And I loved my Acura but once I bought my Lexus, I definitely felt Lexus was a true luxury brand. Acura still shares a little too much on materials and interior design with Honda. But I wouldn't hesitate to own an Acura again, and I like the look of the tlx, but if you want it to really be comparable, you'd have to option it pretty well by adding technology package, etc. At that point I would go to lexus because price becomes pretty close to equal.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-27-14, 07:53 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 3IS is radical looking and that doesn't sit well with people, but Acura on the other hand has a timid and safe look that hasn't really changed in a decade.
Old 08-27-14, 08:54 PM
mrkjsn
Rookie

TLX is an excellent value and I was looking at them as well before purchasing my IS. I was seriously considering it until I took a look at the TLX and all the other Acuras in the dealership lot and realized that I could not tell them apart. I figured I'd get too bored of it and decided to stick to the car that won me over at first sight- the IS.
Old 08-27-14, 08:58 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are asking a very simple question like IS vs TLX and praying the internet helps you with that decision than you are going about this the wrong way. Best way is to test drive both cars and go with the one that feels best to you. Normally I'm a very logical person but buying a car is very personal and you should go with your gut feel.

Now if you have very specific questions about the car that owners can help you out on that might help your decision than ask away. We will be glad to help.
Old 08-27-14, 09:46 PM
AgentX
Driver School Candidate

THANKS ALL for the responses! and to Slust's point, I agree. I just haven't been able to hit up an Acura dealership yet to test drive the 2015 TLX V6, since the AWD trim isn't out yet. I stopped by a Lexus dealership the other night and so far am impressed with the IS350 F, but at $51k with less standard features than the TLX V6 advanced, I wanted to wait and test drive that as well to compare technology and safety of both.

Performance-wise if anyone has tested the TLX, I was wondering as well, how their 9-speed AT worked. Overall comfort seating/interior of TLX vs IS350 F? Compare the safety and tech features between the 2? Do both cars come with timing belt or chain? The IS350 F front wheels' aspect ratio is slightly smaller than the rear wheels, what's that all about? Thought it was only RWD cars that had that? Also, wheels I see both IS350 and TLX listed with 225's but TLX has same for all 4 tires. Brake performance comparisons?

I don't mind the front grill look of the Acura, as I think the IS350 F grill was odd to see at first too but both styles have grown on me. The only thing about the TLX's exterior look i don't like is the half-hidden half-exposed exhausts! (yuck). Dual LCD screens may take a bit to get used too, but I'm not concerned about that.

Again, thanks all! just wanted to get some more info of as much of the ins and outs of both cars before making a decision...figured many of you here have had your IS350 F long enough to share some pros and cons.
Old 08-28-14, 12:20 AM
Slust
Pole Position

If the Lexus dealer is not willing to give you a better deal than $51k than he is smoking crack and you should consider dealing out of state (if you're willing to go that far) as that is the worst deal I've heard for this car ...ok, 2nd worst (#1 was $52k). The dealer I used said they get a lot of people from Texas. I would negotiate in the range of mid-$40k. The sole reason many features were left out was to keep the car under $50k so tell your sales rep you'll satisfy their munchy craving for $44-46k (what most get their 350 for ...Californians get better deals).

I don't know anything about the TLX at all but the 350's seats (f sport in particular) were one of biggest reasons I bought the car ...especially with my back problems. No other car in the luxury sport sedan class stood up to it. Almost everyone who sits in the passenger seat has complemented the seat comfort.

The 350 has a timing chain.
Old 08-28-14, 08:08 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well in CO there are only two Lexus dealerships, Kuni and Stevenson so pickings are slim. Not like Southern CA where there are probably over 25
Old 08-28-14, 03:36 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
Well in CO there are only two Lexus dealerships, Kuni and Stevenson so pickings are slim. Not like Southern CA where there are probably over 25
Try Hawaii, one dealership.
Old 08-28-14, 03:52 PM
cFoo
Driver

I've driven Honda all my life (Legend, Prelude, S2000, 3G TL, Fit, RDX) before the IS. The TL and RDX made me look at the IS. I'm convinced, a Honda built in the US is not the same as a Honda built in Japan.
Legend - rock solid. Learned to drive on it.
Prelude - first car. It survived my stupidity teenage years without a single hiccup
S2000 - tracked the hell out of it. Not a single warranty work or repair after warranty
3G TL - a lemon. In the dealer for repairs at every single services.
Fit - made in Japan. Not the new made in Mexico. Rock solid. Not a single hiccup.
RDX - just as bad as the TL. Warranty is coming up. Waiting to get rid of it.

Those are my personal experiences. Other people may have better luck. But I'm done rolling the dices on North American made Honda.
Old 08-28-14, 08:08 PM
AgentX
Driver School Candidate

The 3G TL (2007-2008 models) have had the least amount of issues from what I'm aware of. Most the issues came from the '04-05 models. This is what concerns me about getting the first year of its gen for any car. Anyway, I have some time over the upcoming weekend so I will go take a look at the IS350 F and drive it again, as well as trek my way towards an Acura dealership to do the same with their TLX V6. I know it's only FWD but at least i will get to sit in and and really do a comparison of comfort, technology and safety features.

What are some issues about the IS350 F Sport so far that anyone has encountered?

Quick Reply: New to the Forum, want some honest opinions