IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 Test Drives - Impressions and Questions

Old 08-24-14, 07:03 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of the cars above have that 'Sporty" feeling, the seating position and engagement of Is350 is far superior to other competitors. IS does feel like a 2 seater car.
+1

I've been getting so many positive comments about the seating position. People say the IS feels like a sports car, especially with the F-sport gauge. My wife's F30 335 sits higher (unless you lower the seat, but you still don't get the same sporty feeling).
Old 08-24-14, 11:23 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

I live in south jersey and the dealership i use easily found me a RWD 350 F Sport. Don't let the dealership BS you or tell you that it may cost more because its "not allocated to the northeast". You are the customer simply say you only want a 350 F Sport RWD and make them work for your business, otherwise walk.
Old 08-25-14, 12:35 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
Get the cooled seats standard. I'm surprised it took until 2015 to get standard cooled seats in a Lexus. What took so long. Down here in SW or namely SE texas, cooled seats would be a god-send but I would have to combo it with remote start so I could get em going before I get in!
We have cooled seats here in the Arab gulf.. Actually our IS comes fully loaded now in KSA and Oman.
Old 08-25-14, 04:30 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

^^ ...and Rioja Red interior with USB! Wow... talk about spoiled!
Old 08-25-14, 07:14 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Back to the subject of test drives for a moment. In the past some Lexus models have adaptive memories that adjust some parameters like shift points by observing the drivers driving style over time and "learning" optimal settings.

Does the 3IS do this?

If so it seems like this would create havoc and unpredictable results for test drivers unless the salesman or tech resets the memory after each test or loaner session (yeah right, nobody is going to diligently remember to do that for each vehicle). I'm wondering if this has something to do with why some people feel a massive difference between the different modes (econ/sport etc.) and others not so much.
Old 08-25-14, 04:37 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
Back to the subject of test drives for a moment. In the past some Lexus models have adaptive memories that adjust some parameters like shift points by observing the drivers driving style over time and "learning" optimal settings.
Do you have a cite for that claim? I've read a lot of car mags over the years, and never any claim of any car doing that.
Old 08-25-14, 05:39 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dizlex
Do you have a cite for that claim? I've read a lot of car mags over the years, and never any claim of any car doing that.
During my test drive, my sales guy told me that the car learns your driving habits over time and adjusts shift points accordingly. Not sure if that was BS or not. I used the paddles the whole time as I don't really like automatics. If it weren't for paddles, I'd never drive anything but a stick shift, even if it does suck in traffic.
Old 08-26-14, 11:00 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

to the OP, have you considered a late model IS-F? power will be more on par w/ your beemer, esp if it was tuned. yes, the body and interior are 'dated' now but it'll feel sportier than the 3IS. and there are plenty of people that switch over from the 3 series to the IS-F.
Old 08-26-14, 05:33 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cremaster
to the OP, have you considered a late model IS-F? power will be more on par w/ your beemer, esp if it was tuned. yes, the body and interior are 'dated' now but it'll feel sportier than the 3IS. and there are plenty of people that switch over from the 3 series to the IS-F.
I had an RS-4 for a few years. Actually got into a race with an IS-F once... And lost. No matter what gear I was in, he pulled on me. And that RS-4 was a rocket, so that speaks volumes for the IS-F. This sounds weird, but I actually don't want a car that powerful anymore. The RS-4 was completely dominated by it's booming V8. Got old after awhile and the gas mileage was terrible. Not that that really mattered though. Given the price of the car, a high fuel bill was the least of my worries.

Now, I lean towards the more nimble feel of cars with V6 engines. I really really like the modern looks of the new IS350. Funny, cause when I first saw pics of the car, I hated it. Now, I've warmed up to the pics and in person, it's stunning - especially from the rear three-quarter view.

I wish the IS350 just had about 50 more HP and torque. Then it would be perfect. I've read this same sentiment in several other reviews as well. Any 2016 rumors for a model update with a boost in power?
Old 08-26-14, 05:45 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Afraid I don't have a direct link at the moment, but there has been a lot of discussion about it in the past on the 2IS forums of this board. I'm not sure if it applied only to the early model 2IS where if you wanted sport mode you had to do a pedal dance (no button to change modes).

I haven't seen it mentioned at all yet in the context of the 3IS.
Old 08-26-14, 09:02 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
During my test drive, my sales guy told me that the car learns your driving habits over time and adjusts shift points accordingly. Not sure if that was BS or not. I used the paddles the whole time as I don't really like automatics. If it weren't for paddles, I'd never drive anything but a stick shift, even if it does suck in traffic.

Here ya go guys https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex.../Street-Smarts

G-Force Artificial Intelligence.
Old 08-27-14, 04:33 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom

Nice finding, first time I heard this after owning the car for a year now. Lexus is awesome with these new technologies I've never thought or heard of. Another plus to the reason why IS350 is a lot more fun to drive than the IS250 :P
Old 08-27-14, 10:31 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this link they show a dash with the gear mode. Mine does not look like that with the up and down bars. Is it possible to change to that view?
Old 08-27-14, 12:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry96815
In this link they show a dash with the gear mode. Mine does not look like that with the up and down bars. Is it possible to change to that view?
Yes, on your display, in info mode, arrow down through all the info (like Eco mode, tire pressure, etc.), and gear display should be the last one if I remember right.
Old 08-27-14, 12:25 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Thank you. With this link, my credibility has been forever guaranteed and I shall never be doubted again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350 Test Drives - Impressions and Questions