IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealer cheated on 10k complimentary service!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 06:47 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer cheated on 10k complimentary service!

I suspect my dealership cheated on my "free 10k complimentary service".

I went in to replace my front brakes and machine the rotors with an additional to completing the 10k service maintenance.

At the end of the day, I went online to look at "service history" and it stated that the brakes were replace and rotors machined.

Now here's the mysterious part, I didn't see that it stated my car coming in for 10k maintenance nor oil change. Instead it listed "DONE" that is all! They already ignore to change my air condition filter and it was listed on the service manual. Well not like I told them, but they obviously went the cheaper route......

The receipt at check out did say they did the oil change though, but service history is where everything shows up when in the future they check if my car did proper maintenance.

Should I be concern that I may have been cheated on a complimentary service which was free?

Would dealerships really let your car sit and bring it back out washed making it seem like they did the service?

I hope they didn't cheat on me that would really destroy the engine seeing how we suppose to replace the engine oil every 10k miles. They placed a sticker on my top left windshield stating to come back at 15k for oil change......

They do look at "Service History" to determine the maintenance of my car right? I just don't understand why the service guy didn't properly type in the completion of my 10k service on the history page.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 08-17-14 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-17-14, 07:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

honestly you jump to conclusions way too fast. Since lexus didnt update your online records quick enough so the conclusion you came up with is they cheated you. If you dont think they changed the oil, have you pulled the dipstick yourself to see if its clean oil? Engines always run smoother after an oil change, did you feel the engine run smoother? In another thread you said your rotors and brakes "died" but provide very little information on why you think they are dead. They seem fine now. Also I thought it was 2 years of complementary oil changes only, not filters and everything else. Thats what I remember when I bought my car
Old 08-17-14, 07:30 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
honestly you jump to conclusions way too fast. Since lexus didnt update your online records quick enough so the conclusion you came up with is they cheated you. If you dont think they changed the oil, have you pulled the dipstick yourself to see if its clean oil? Engines always run smoother after an oil change, did you feel the engine run smoother? In another thread you said your rotors and brakes "died" but provide very little information on why you think they are dead. They seem fine now. Also I thought it was 2 years of complementary oil changes only, not filters and everything else. Thats what I remember when I bought my car
Well, the brakes did died out and rotors were affected. The sound turned out to be from metal to metal scraping on rotor. At least that's what the service guy told me. I don't know if I misinform with my original post, but Lexus did update their online records otherwise it wouldn't state that I replaced the brakes and machined the rotors on the same day. Other than that there were no history of my 10k maintenance service instead what I see written is "DONE" and nothing else......

For example:
8/16/2014 : Replaced front brakes and machined rotors
8/16/2014 : DONE

Supposedly what should be written is my 10k service maintenance instead of "DONE"......
I really don't want to make it sound like I'm picky, but it's important that oil change is written as proof in history for future liability. That's why I'm suspecting why he didn't do so, conclusion came to being "cheated". Who knows I've heard stories of places cheating on customers, but dealerships?
Old 08-17-14, 07:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

just keep the paper copy that says they did it, maybe the website will update later on
Old 08-17-14, 09:12 AM
NebulaIS
Rookie

What do you think is more likely? They cheated on your service and didn't do the oil change or just didn't updated the comments to fully reflect the work done. Throw them an email and ask if they could kindly add '10k service complete' into their system and take a deep breath.
Old 08-17-14, 09:22 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I would venture to guess it's just an data entry error. Mine has my 5,000 mile service listed as a 10,000 mile service.
Old 08-17-14, 10:12 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

My dealer, Stevens Creek in San Jose, did not replace cabin air filter at 10K mile service even though it is clearly stated in owner's manual and on lexus website that the filter is changed every 10K miles. I asked the dealer he said it 30K mile item. Hmmm....
Old 08-17-14, 10:14 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't you be able to visibly tell if the oil was changed? New oil should have a noticeable color difference from used oil.
Old 08-17-14, 11:06 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

I think most dealerships take a while to update their online maint records to where you can see it. Also, most just throw in a generic canned entry for maint. Ex, both the IS and my Z maint records state tires inflated to specs and rotated as part of the inspection. Kind of hard to rotate staggered.
Old 08-17-14, 11:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by salvadorik
My dealer, Stevens Creek in San Jose, did not replace cabin air filter at 10K mile service even though it is clearly stated in owner's manual and on lexus website that the filter is changed every 10K miles. I asked the dealer he said it 30K mile item. Hmmm....
my dealer only gives 2 years of oil changes not 2 years of maintenance when I bought my car
Old 08-17-14, 11:36 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
my dealer only gives 2 years of oil changes not 2 years of maintenance when I bought my car
I thought it is a standard statewide benefit that comes along with a purchase or lease of a new Lexus vehicle. 5K and 10K miles scheduled maintenance visits (which includes all items listed on the owner's manual not just oil change but cabin air filter as well) are paid by Lexus.
Old 08-18-14, 10:00 AM
ISISGUY
Rookie

I just had my 10k service done including in cabin filer replacement, so it definitely included the service not the oil change at no charge. Now, I'm not sure if it's dealer specific, I had it done at Longo Lexus here in So Cal, and they went over everything they were going to do before they did it, I didn't even have to ask what was included. But my understanding from the beginning was that it's included with all new Lexus vehicles purchased, the dealership performs the service and bills Lexus, I could be wrong about that, but I definitely have had the full maintenance done not just the oil changes. But either way, always keep the paper records, no better backup than that.
Old 08-18-14, 10:32 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISISGUY
I just had my 10k service done including in cabin filer replacement, so it definitely included the service not the oil change at no charge. Now, I'm not sure if it's dealer specific, I had it done at Longo Lexus here in So Cal, and they went over everything they were going to do before they did it, I didn't even have to ask what was included. But my understanding from the beginning was that it's included with all new Lexus vehicles purchased, the dealership performs the service and bills Lexus, I could be wrong about that, but I definitely have had the full maintenance done not just the oil changes. But either way, always keep the paper records, no better backup than that.
I got mine from longo also. Was the 10k complimentary? I don't remember if he said it was or not
Old 08-18-14, 11:36 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of the manual 5K:

First Scheduled Maintenance
Service: Six Months or
5,000 Miles
This complimentary service is performed
at six months or 5,000 miles,
whichever occurs first. To obtain this
service, contact your Lexus dealership.