IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Just got my car lowered - scraping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 12:42 AM
SCSurf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Just got my car lowered - scraping?

Just got my car lowered on RSR Downs by 168 Motoring and I love it. Running stock 18 F-Sports, but really looking to put 19s on really really soon. Only issue now is that I'm scraping in and out of driveways - some driveways I don't have the option to do an angled approach. Unfortunately, I already scraped a few times after the install and the bottom of my front lip is scratched up. Nothing yet that's visible, but what do you recommend on doing to protect the bottom of the front lip until I can put 19s on? Any cheap mitigations?
Old 08-17-14, 01:20 AM
JCWong
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCSurf
Just got my car lowered on RSR Downs by 168 Motoring and I love it. Running stock 18 F-Sports, but really looking to put 19s on really really soon. Only issue now is that I'm scraping in and out of driveways - some driveways I don't have the option to do an angled approach. Unfortunately, I already scraped a few times after the install and the bottom of my front lip is scratched up. Nothing yet that's visible, but what do you recommend on doing to protect the bottom of the front lip until I can put 19s on? Any cheap mitigations?
Just a thought... you sure you are scraping your front if there are no scratch marks? could it the little vertical piece in front of the wheel well?
Old 08-17-14, 10:37 AM
SCSurf
Driver

Originally Posted by JCWong
Just a thought... you sure you are scraping your front if there are no scratch marks? could it the little vertical piece in front of the wheel well?
I looked under the front lip and it's definitely scraping. I can provide pictures later today. Just want to know what I can do to prevent this until I get a clearance lift with the 19".
Old 08-17-14, 11:28 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, just to avoid scraping altogether, when you exit a driveway, angle the car diagonal to the driveway, turn the wheels opposite of the direction you're turning, and go very slowly. This should prevent all your scraping issues. The main key here is to go extremely slow to prevent any suspension sag once you hit that dip.
Old 08-17-14, 12:56 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Also, just to avoid scraping altogether, when you exit a driveway, angle the car diagonal to the driveway, turn the wheels opposite of the direction you're turning, and go very slowly. This should prevent all your scraping issues. The main key here is to go extremely slow to prevent any suspension sag once you hit that dip.
I practice that methodology, even when I got the car stock. I came from a 4Runner, so dropping down to a sport sedan with much lower ground clearance forced me to be particularly careful in navigating LA streets. My other dilemma, aside from protecting the front lip which has already been damaged, is entering and exiting steep driveways with steep angles. My office parking garage has one such scenario, which I would assume I would need to be almost parallel to the driveway to access. However, I'm limited by the radius at which I can turn to set myself up for this approach. Suggestions?
Old 08-17-14, 02:48 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Air suspension.

Last edited by mello03; 08-17-14 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 05:06 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Here's a rough picture of the damage under the lip from scraping taken with my iPhone.

Old 08-17-14, 05:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how are you scraping exactly. Some companies make ramps for the gutter style driveways

Old 08-17-14, 06:07 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how are you scraping exactly. Some companies make ramps for the gutter style driveways

That's ingenious! Too bad I can't put that at my office

I'm scraping every time I descend the driveway. I can only take a 60 degree angled approach out of my office driveway and my apartment driveway.
Old 08-18-14, 10:44 AM
livinitup7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the vertical pieces necessary to have or can you maybe cut those down?
Old 08-18-14, 10:47 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Gonna have to accept it or park somewhere else that doesnt involve you entering/leaving the driveway
Old 08-18-14, 03:53 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

You can always use these spring spacers http://www.softys.ca/image_items/sus...spacer_2in.jpg

I'm using them on all 4 springs (with coilovers) to stiffen the car, and the side effect is that it also lifts the car. In your case, it could be the ideal solution and they are safe to use.

These can be found at any auto store for 10 bucks or so. I've used them for about a year on my IS and my previous car. They don't slip out and stay in the same location. All you need is two of these per spring up front, placed symmetrically. If the height becomes too uneven, add them to the rear as well. All you'll feel is slightly stiffer spring rates, but it will solve your driveway issues for sure. And like someone suggested, cut those plastic bits off on the front and near the rear.
Old 08-18-14, 05:35 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can install dynamic bagged suspension, or duct tape the bottom
Old 08-18-14, 06:22 PM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by livinitup7
Are the vertical pieces necessary to have or can you maybe cut those down?
Does anyone know if these can be removed without just cutting them off?
Old 08-18-14, 07:46 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

They are held by a few bolts and some plastic clips, so they can be easily re-installed.

Quick Reply: Just got my car lowered - scraping?