IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Those who had Remote Start "Thrown In" on 2014 - What's your plan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 05:04 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StraySheep
I am in the same situation.

I confirmed with bwk in another thread and private message that you can install the remote start with nav and he has no issues. But our IS F-sport with nav are Canadian vehicles.

The difficult part is getting someone to use the techstream and program the remote starter. If you walk into any dealer, they won't do it because of liability issues. You need to know a Lexus tech to program it outside the dealer.

I am going to order the remote starter from Sewell next month and install to my 2014 IS250 F-sport with nav.
Will report back the result.

I am lucky to know a tech at a Lexus dealer that can program for me.
Will that work with the App or do you need an extra key fob to use it?
Old 08-20-14, 05:10 PM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Should just work with key fob. Not with app.

Lexus Canada does not have enform.
Old 08-20-14, 05:22 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Should just work with key fob. Not with app.

Lexus Canada does not have enform.
Do you know if/when it will come to Canada? If so, I wonder if Lexus Canada will offer a paid version of Enform?
Old 08-20-14, 10:08 PM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes
Do you know if/when it will come to Canada? If so, I wonder if Lexus Canada will offer a paid version of Enform?
I don't know. But don't believe lexus canada has any plans to bring enform to canada.
Old 08-21-14, 01:24 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJW
Those of you who have it, is it aftermarket or a Lexus accessory? Do you have NAV?

I find it odd how anyone who designs and builds a car couldn't figure this out, it's more like they just don't want to yet. I mean, my 2008 RDX has a plug and play OEM starter. Most brands, other than the German's, have this on even lower models.

I just don't want to have some scenario where they say they can't do it and I'm left deciding on some form of compensation of some aftermarket system that I don't want.
Mine came with the car and it's genuine Lexus RES, Check the RES tag

I am in the same situation.

I confirmed with bwk in another thread and private message that you can install the remote start with nav and he has no issues. But our IS F-sport with nav are Canadian vehicles.

The difficult part is getting someone to use the techstream and program the remote starter. If you walk into any dealer, they won't do it because of liability issues. You need to know a Lexus tech to program it outside the dealer.

I am going to order the remote starter from Sewell next month and install to my 2014 IS250 F-sport with nav.
Will report back the result.

I am lucky to know a tech at a Lexus dealer that can program for me.
This is really weird they should've equipped all IS 350s at least with it.....
Old 08-21-14, 07:11 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
Mine came with the car and it's genuine Lexus RES, Check the RES tag
Does your car have Nav?
Old 08-21-14, 09:06 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJW
Does your car have Nav?
Fully loaded with Navigation.
Old 08-21-14, 09:16 AM
CJW
Pole Position

So why do some many people seem to have an issue with this? Seems like it exists and works, yet Lexus
Old 08-21-14, 02:59 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CJW
So why do some many people seem to have an issue with this? Seems like it exists and works, yet Lexus
I think if enough people complained, they would change their position on the 2014 3IS nav-RES issue
Old 08-21-14, 06:24 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those with garages, be careful with these things..

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...ector-ignition
Old 08-21-14, 09:23 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Why? That article was someone leaving her ignition on. Most remote starts have a10 minute limit anyway and it's pretty stupid to run it in a closed garage. They also don't start out of the blue.
Old 08-22-14, 07:35 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by CJW
Why? That article was someone leaving her ignition on. Most remote starts have a10 minute limit anyway and it's pretty stupid to run it in a closed garage. They also don't start out of the blue.
Interesting, didn't know about the 10 minute limit. I don't know how long it takes for brain damage to set in from CO, but I'm pretty sure nobody wants the stuff injected straight from their garage into their home even if they are able to cut the engine before they fall over.

I know they don't start by themselves but anything tied to any other sort of remote is subject to a bug (bugs? that never happens with Lexus car electronics does it?. I don't know if it's possible a child could accidentally start it with a keyfob -- also if the remote starter is on a phone connected to the Internet it could be subject to hacks as well.

I do agree that the 10 minute limit will probably save a lot of lives, but you know if you can't trust the battery to retain a charge then I'm not sure I'd gamble my entire families life on the 10 minute killswitch working 100% of the time. I'm not saying be paranoid I'm just saying be careful.
Old 08-22-14, 07:59 AM
CJW
Pole Position

I've them for decades as far back as my 1987 Plymouth Sundance. You're probably just as likely your car starting itself as the fob starting the car out of the blue. I don't have kid though and if or when I do, my remote start keys won't be a toy.

They are pretty fool proof, but like anything, someone can mess it up out of pure negligence.
Old 08-22-14, 09:59 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by CJW
I've them for decades as far back as my 1987 Plymouth Sundance. You're probably just as likely your car starting itself as the fob starting the car out of the blue. I don't have kid though and if or when I do, my remote start keys won't be a toy.

They are pretty fool proof, but like anything, someone can mess it up out of pure negligence.
I always think about the state trooper and his family that died when their Lexus was turned into a moving fireball all because of a poorly installed floor mat. Floor mat technology seems uncomplicated enough, yet many decades of refined floor mat design couldn't save a family of four from death in a fiery car. Most folks can look at that story and say they've been driving for decades and never had a floor mat cause a fatal accident, but the issue is not the frequency of occurrence as much as the consequences at stake on the small chance that it does occur.

For example if my key fob was capable of remotely starting my car, I'd be damn sure the battery was always current in my fob (I wouldn't depend on Lexus service intervals to change it when they're supposed to) and I might even look into ventilation for the place the car was stored. Regardless of individual key fob experiences, anyone who has a variety of experience with wireless electronics knows they do not always behave as designed. Those like me who work with these things for a living understand at an even more focused level some of the reasons why they glitch out, which gives us more cause for concern than probably the average consumer that hasn't thought about things at that level of depth yet.

I'm sure Lexus has covered most of the safety risk areas they can think of, and that will keep 99.9% of users from death by key fob, but it's usually not until that last .01% finds a new risk the hard way that something gets done about it. Another reason I'm reluctant to be early adopters of technology, including features like this in early year model cars.