IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F Sport brake/rotor dies at 10k miles!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 03:58 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 F Sport brake/rotor dies at 10k miles!

Hey guys, my car is making this noise from the driver's front wheel when applying the brakes and EVEN CLUELESS AND SURPRISINGLY the noise shows up when cruising at low speed (haven't try freeway speed yet) without stepping on the brakes.

This just happened to me tonight, car is around 10,000 miles, I'm going to take it into the dealer to see what the hell is with Lexus. I suspect it might be the rotors and built in brake dusts, I just don't know, but the noise is unusual enough to be concern about.

I doubt it's the built in brake dusts because previously I've not washed my car/ wheel for a longer period of time, but I'm not sure. Could it just be that my rotor is done?

I know the front brakes need a replacement soon, but it shouldn't be my brakes since the noise still shows up even when I don't step on the brake pedal, unless the car brakes for me itself......

I cant take it into the dealer until weekend, hopefully it's safe to drive around within the next 2 days. Had anyone experienced this on their IS yet?

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 08-14-14 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 06:54 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be something
Else. I have never ever had to
Replace my brake pads or rotors
On any of the IS's I have had. Not once

Take it to dealer. Can't diagnose over the internet
Old 08-14-14, 09:00 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like something may be wrong with wheel bearings. Good luck, and good thing there is warranty.
Old 08-14-14, 12:12 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

good luck. I bought my car 2014 IS350 last month with 10k miles, and i had a few squeaks form braking. i had it checked and they didnt find anything. they just cleaned my brakes and stuff and it went away
Old 08-14-14, 03:26 PM
NickD82
Driver School Candidate

Seized calipers?
Old 08-19-14, 02:30 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Well I just went to the dealership and they found out that it was because my brake pads are near the end of it's life where metal was showing and that's where the sound come from. Wow these F Sport brake pads sure is unheard of in Toyota/Lexus history. Maybe I'm wrong, but most people questions me Lexus brake pads gone in just 10 months? I guess when you play the sport's car game you need the brakes like the Germans have in their cars which doesn't last long either haha. Question is does these brake pads perform as well as the ones on Beemer/ Mercedes?
Old 08-19-14, 04:47 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
Well I just went to the dealership and they found out that it was because my brake pads are near the end of it's life where metal was showing and that's where the sound come from. Wow these F Sport brake pads sure is unheard of in Toyota/Lexus history. Maybe I'm wrong, but most people questions me Lexus brake pads gone in just 10 months? I guess when you play the sport's car game you need the brakes like the Germans have in their cars which doesn't last long either haha. Question is does these brake pads perform as well as the ones on Beemer/ Mercedes?
They perform as well if not better. No fade at all no matter how long you've been going! The Merc's have problems with fading.
Old 10-21-14, 12:50 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is at dealer for its 10k mile service. One complaint is that I hear a noise when braking from time to time. Dealer just contacted me stating my front brake pads are down to 3 mm and wants $500 to replace same. Car is only one year old. How is it possible I need brakes this soon? Is this a known issue? Has Lexus been covering same under warranty? Anything in particular I should tell / request of the dealer at this time? Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-21-14 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-21-14, 01:34 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Car is at dealer for its 10k mile service. One complaint is that I hear a noise when braking from time to time. Dealer just contacted me stating my front brake pads are down to 3 mm and wants $500 to replace same. The car is only one year old. How is it possible that I need brakes this quickly? Is this a known issue? Has Lexus been covering same under warranty? Anything in particular I should tell / request of the dealer at this time? Thanks.
If you have an f-sport, it's got the performance pads - composition is geared to increased friction and better bite which equates to less life depending on your driving style. That said - no way should it cost $500 to change the pads. If you are just a little bit mechanically inclined, I believe our brake pads are a simple DIY - they can be changed without even removing the caliper. There's a DIY thread in the 2IS forum with some excellent pics to help out.

Bill G
Old 10-21-14, 02:35 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

I notice in many of the DIYs that they don't shave the rotors. If you are not changing the rotors I highly recommend shaving your rotors when changing out your pads.

Here is the DIY for the front https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...g-caliper.html

Here is the DIY for the rear https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-of-pics.html
Old 10-21-14, 02:50 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

but i take that back, after 15k miles, i had to change my pads/rotors!!
Old 10-21-14, 02:58 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
If you have an f-sport, it's got the performance pads - composition is geared to increased friction and better bite which equates to less life depending on your driving style. That said - no way should it cost $500 to change the pads. If you are just a little bit mechanically inclined, I believe our brake pads are a simple DIY - they can be changed without even removing the caliper. There's a DIY thread in the 2IS forum with some excellent pics to help out.
Originally Posted by kmanpete24
I notice in many of the DIYs that they don't shave the rotors. If you are not changing the rotors I highly recommend shaving your rotors when changing out your pads.

Here is the DIY for the front https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...g-caliper.html

Here is the DIY for the rear https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-of-pics.html
Thanks, Gentlemen!

Think I'm going to order a set of front pads from Sewell for $70 and have my indy replace same.

Approximately how many hour should this job take?

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-14, 04:10 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Thanks, Gentlemen!

Think I'm going to order a set of front pads from Sewell for $70 and have my indy replace same.

Approximately how many hour should this job take?

Thanks again.
That's the other way to go - if you have an indie shop, it will be an easy job to do - maybe an hour or so. It's up to you whether to machine the rotors or not - if you've got quality rotors and they're not giving you problems, machining is most likely not needed.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-21-14, 04:57 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
That's the other way to go - if you have an indie shop, it will be an easy job to do - maybe an hour or so. It's up to you whether to machine the rotors or not - if you've got quality rotors and they're not giving you problems, machining is most likely not needed.

Let us know how it goes.
Thank you!