Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

F sport intake

Old 08-09-14, 09:07 AM   #1
lino1011
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default F sport intake

Does the new F sport intake system not come with the lower box? I Went to the dealer yesterday to pick up my car from service, they put on the F sport intake for me. I realized that they didn't change the lower box. Therefore, my intake doesn't have an extra square hole on the side for more air flowing in. I remember i saw some threads that our members posted their intake with the hole. Should i go back to the dealer and ask them?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
lino1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:14 AM   #2
Dark9t316
Pole Position

They did not change the lower box.
Dark9t316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 12:04 PM   #3
vcoronel
Driver School Candidate

How much did you ply for the intake?If you don't mind me asking. I'm considering but not sure if it really makes a huge difference or just go with aftermarket
vcoronel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 12:08 PM   #4
Dark9t316
Pole Position

$320 shipped @ Sewell Lexus with club Lexus discount. Can't say it sounds any nicer than after market intake, but looks nicer to me.
Dark9t316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 01:12 PM   #5
lino1011
Driver School Candidate

i got it for free at my dealer as a deal. And yes Sewell always has good price for CL members.. it doesn't sound better or anything compare to the stock. i have the F sport exhaust so i can't hear anything different.
Old 08-09-14, 02:10 PM   #6
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Hmm, without that hole in the lower box it should sound silent... I cut a hole in mine myself and that increased the sound dramatically, added that nice growl that greddy intakes have. With just a simple pipe you're really silencing the car since even the stock intake has some amplifier pipe for the sound.
TheShaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 03:49 PM   #7
lino1011
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaddix View Post
Hmm, without that hole in the lower box it should sound silent... I cut a hole in mine myself and that increased the sound dramatically, added that nice growl that greddy intakes have. With just a simple pipe you're really silencing the car since even the stock intake has some amplifier pipe for the sound.
i know right!! I am so confused that some people have a hole in the lower box and some don't. Why is it? I did some research and the pic showed that there is an extra hole beside the hole connect to the ram air pipe.
Old 08-09-14, 05:46 PM   #8
hades281
Driver

lino1011: You are probably seeing some photos of the F-sport intake for 2006-2013 cars mixed in with the 2014 intake. Also adding to the confusion is that Lexus themselves claim that the F-sport intake draws air from the headlight area, which it would have to do through a hole in the box... but it doesn't actually do so.
hades281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 06:43 PM   #9
afdavey
Driver

This is 'eye candy' - bottom line. I like eye candy - it does 'nada' for performance, and very little, if any for sound especially if married with the f-sport exhaust. VERY few intakes deliver the performance values stated. The ones that do 'usually' are set-up with a exhaust that breathes better (ideally headers), a cam modification and a tune. All these are limited on the IS. The ECM needs to know what to do with the increased volume of air for more power - add more fuel, this usually come with a 'tune'.
No ones 'butt dyno' can pick up on 4-8 hp - it becomes a mental satisfaction. No bashing here meant - but trying to be realistic.

As for the lower part of the air box - the factory one stays and it is already plumbed to grab air from the area on top of the radiator shroud - so nothing changes.

The intake is a nice accessory with the 'Lexus fit / finish you expect - buy it because it looks good, not because you think you are going to get more horsepower...

Last edited by afdavey; 08-09-14 at 06:47 PM..
afdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 06:43 PM