IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Poor Grip from 2014 Lexus IS350F?

Old 08-07-14, 01:08 PM
Audioholic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damtachoa
I think not only Lexus uses cheap tires, but all other brands do the same.
Yep go read an Audi A4 review at CarandDriver with Sline upgrade; the same car I was buying. They used Z rated tires for the review car. The car I was getting came with their sucky H-rated tires. My wife's Minivan has better grade tires on it! I realize the car is governed to 130mph so there is no need for a higher speed rated tire but really a car that costs this much shouldn't have such restrictions. It's not like we are saving much on insurance anyways since my rate went way up for buying a new car since the value is now much higher than my 7yo Acura.
Old 08-07-14, 01:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

change to real tires, youll notice a huge difference. Stock tires are trash. Car used to plow on stock tires during a turn. I put pilot super sports on it and its WAY WAY better like its on rails.
Old 08-07-14, 01:50 PM
Audioholic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
change to real tires, youll notice a huge difference. Stock tires are trash. Car used to plow on stock tires during a turn. I put pilot super sports on it and its WAY WAY better like its on rails.
WOW! Man I can't wait to burn through these turds I mean tires I may just wind up buying the car at the end of the lease if the driving dynamics are improved that much by the tires. I just hope I can talk down the buyout a bit to make it a good deal. The buyout is like $28k. $25k would be more to my liking.
Old 08-07-14, 02:35 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought of using the square setup to eliminate the understeer , but I think lexus designed the car with smaller front tyres on purpose . The reason could be setting the front tyres to lose traction earlier than the rear ones since it is easier to handle understeer over sudden oversteer while driving aggrissively . Anyway my car came with the dunlop summer tyres and there is understeering similar to cars equiped with bridgestones , but does changing the tyres to other than the OEM reduce the understeer ?
Old 08-08-14, 07:06 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audioholic
Wow some great replies here. I leased this car so I won't be modding it unless I decide to buy it at the end of the lease.

I notice this problem if I accelerate from stop and do a U-turn quickly or if I make a left turn at stop and give it a good amount of gas. Again I could do this in my Acura with no problem but I am understanding what you guys are saying regarding the FWD giving a false sense of grip.

I don't recall this happening when I test drove a M235i but I didn't have the opportunity to drive that car on my usual roads by myself so who knows.
Comes down to weight transfer. If you're mashing the gas as you start making a turn, you're taking a lot of weight off the front tires and they won't grip very well, and that will cause any car to plow. It's more exaggerated in a RWD car because you are able to get the full acceleration force out of your drive tires. In a FWD car, since the fronts are trying to accelerate AND turn, it only does some of each, so you can't accelerate as hard and thus the weight transfer isn't as great and you retain a little more of that turning grip. It really can be more complicated than that, but I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can.
Old 08-08-14, 07:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMNss
I thought of using the square setup to eliminate the understeer , but I think lexus designed the car with smaller front tyres on purpose . The reason could be setting the front tyres to lose traction earlier than the rear ones since it is easier to handle understeer over sudden oversteer while driving aggrissively . Anyway my car came with the dunlop summer tyres and there is understeering similar to cars equiped with bridgestones , but does changing the tyres to other than the OEM reduce the understeer ?
Change to Michelin Pilot Super Sports, or Bridgestone S04 Pole Position or Continental DW. PSS is the best performing out of those 3 but cost a little more. When I changed to PSS car feels like its on rails now, no plowing in a turn. PSS comes stock on a lot of supercars for a reason
Old 08-09-14, 05:55 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Change to Michelin Pilot Super Sports, or Bridgestone S04 Pole Position or Continental DW. PSS is the best performing out of those 3 but cost a little more. When I changed to PSS car feels like its on rails now, no plowing in a turn. PSS comes stock on a lot of supercars for a reason
Did you retain the same size with the PSS ?

I will go for something cheaper as the PSS will cost around 2k $ , I could get some good deals on the goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 . Anyway before buying the goodyear I will visit a neighbor country to check the prices of the michelin tires .
Old 08-09-14, 06:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

i went with 235/265 PSS. When I was buying 255 was on national backorder. This size is taller than stock so my speedo is off slightly but not much