IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rsr down springs or coilovers????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 07:41 PM
is3FIFTY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rsr down springs or coilovers????????

3IS FSport. Future plans are 20s or should I go 19s? but don't know if I should go with RSR Down Springs or wait/save for Coilovers....

Reasons I am considering Down Springs is because I will be able to keep the AVS functionality. But I just don't like the look of the front being higher that the back.

Coilovers. I know that J5 offers some with the AVS functionality but I'm not sure if that will make a big difference. I put my car in Sport+ and can barely notice the difference. Been looking at BC with Swift Springs also.

Just wanted some opinions on the subject and see if any members have ditched the AVS to go with coilovers, if anyone has the J5 with AVS, or if anyone has had both down springs and coilovers which do you prefer?

Thanks.
Old 08-06-14, 11:09 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had TEIN S.Techs, now I have J5 AVS coils. I wish I would have just waited and gone the J5 route earlier. Ride feels great and the adjustability of the coils is pretty top-notch.
Old 08-07-14, 06:22 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bucanero
Had TEIN S.Techs, now I have J5 AVS coils. I wish I would have just waited and gone the J5 route earlier. Ride feels great and the adjustability of the coils is pretty top-notch.
Could you describe the difference. I ask only because everyone with springs seems to say "The ride is as great as stock. Feel aswesome...etc...etc, blah blah"

Looking back now, what do you notice was not as good having the springs on?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-07-14, 06:24 AM
textekvbal
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Downs and I love the way it makes the car look. Talking to my installer here in dallas, he was very skeptical of going to 20's so if i dont decide on doing spacers i will be going with 19's. Some background on me though is that I am very conservative when it comes to my car. I didnt pay 45k on a car to be spending more money fixing issues because of rubbing etc. I think 19's with the downs or the coilovers will look awesome.
Old 08-09-14, 12:12 AM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I was in the same boat but i ended up going with bc racing coilover with the regular spring rate...imo the ride is smoother than stock ride...the price is reasonable, build quality is also great, i have been waiting for kw to launch their product but seems like it takes them forever so i went with bc racing. Great product and smooth ride, definitely recommend it over springs as you do not wanna deal with blown shocks in the future but you will lose the AVS feature if you have it
Old 08-11-14, 10:36 AM
J5usa
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bucanero
Thank you and cant wait for some pics after your kit is installed.
Old 08-11-14, 10:38 AM
J5usa
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpxluke
I was in the same boat but i ended up going with bc racing coilover with the regular spring rate...imo the ride is smoother than stock ride...the price is reasonable, build quality is also great, i have been waiting for kw to launch their product but seems like it takes them forever so i went with bc racing. Great product and smooth ride, definitely recommend it over springs as you do not wanna deal with blown shocks in the future but you will lose the AVS feature if you have it
Let us know when you are ready to swap to keep your AVS feature