IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

If you are given a second chance, will you still purchase an IS350 Fsport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 11:26 AM
Obscene14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I deleted that because it did sound a little snobish.Actually I should have left it in. Your forgetting that I had a 250. It was a pos as far as drive-ability goes.

What good is the car if it handles well and has dismal power. You need both not one or the other.

EDIT: I'm the farthest thing from a snob or a poser. My last two cars were Mazdaspeed 3's modded to 325 whp. I like to drive not be seen driving. The only reason I'm not in a MS3 right now is that FWD (torque steer) got old. I got tired of the car trying to throw me into the next lane or a ditch every time I got on it.

Last edited by Obscene14; 08-09-14 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-09-14, 11:30 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Obscene14
I deleted that because it did sound a little snobish.Actually I should have left it in. Your forgetting that I had a 250. It was a pos as far as drive-ability goes.

What good is the car if it handles well and has dismal power. You need both not one or the other.
Speed is all relative. There are lots of people on here that feels the 350 is slow as well. I do lots of city driving in LA and 0-35 or 40 isn't unbaringly slow or anything for my 250. Guess I'm not fast and furious living a quarter mile at a time
Old 08-09-14, 11:42 AM
Obscene14
Driver

I'll repeat what i said in my first post. The 350 is a competent car on the road vs other modern cars.I never said it was uber fast..The 250 can barely hold it's own on the road. If it didn't cost 37k minimum I wouldn't have an issue with it. I would just chalk it up to you get what you pay for. I understand everyone that has a 250 is reluctant to own up to the fact that the 250 is an absolute dog on the road. That's fine. I'll just go right around you as you hold up traffic in the right lane as you are unable to get out of your own way.
Old 08-09-14, 11:48 AM
Belex1
Driver School Candidate

Default Both nice cars

Originally Posted by tea
The snobbery is on all forums with cars that have two or three engine options. They like to validate their purchase by putting down the smaller engine
I have a 350 the extra 100 horse power was important to me. That being said (IMO)it's like anything, no one can tell you a 250 is a bad car or purchase. It really depends what you like. If you like a 250 then buy it and embrace it and have no regrets. If you want a 350 then buy it and embrace it as well.

What I hate is anyone that puts someone down for a purchase because it is not what they would have chosen. At the end of the day the are both nice cars.

Last edited by Belex1; 08-09-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-09-14, 12:28 PM
Audioholic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slust
Why not put your phone and wallet in the center console? I agree there is limited space (not happy about it myself) but at least the car is teaching me not to leave useless crap in the car. Flashlight, knife, assorted weapons, sunglasses and phone all fit out of site and I keep my shades in a case to prevent scratching.

Stock tires aren't great, we can all agree there but you are also coming from a FWD car so it is going to feel different. When you throw this car in turns and get used to how RWD behaves you will realize how well this car sticks. My passengers say this car turns on rails ...and that's coming from people with no control of the vehicle. It's a lot harder to trust a vehicle you are not in control of.

Interesting, had not thought of that. Now that you bring that up it would be nice to customize the suspension. That is the one thing I did like about the Q50. Though I sure wouldn't want steer-by-wire to obtain that.

The cupholder placement just sucks in general. Only nice thing I can say about it is that at least it is out of the driver's way unlike the 2IS.

You playing Twister in your car?

It gets better as you stack on the mileage. I first started out getting 21-22mpg. Now I'm getting 23-25, mostly 24mpg.

Comparing the quality of plastic to other cars with plastic grills, I find it to be better. I was just scoping out a bimmer grill the other day while at the gym. Probably a perception thing since the grill is so big.

Agree, it's a let down. I was expecting better from the ML system, but while I wouldn't call myself an audiophile like you probably would I do lean towards audiophile quality gear and have listened to some friend's high end audiophile gear.
Yep you're right. Initially I was averaging 22MPG and now that I have about 5k miles on the car I'm getting 24-25MPG. Still no where near as good as a comparable Audi A4 or BMW M335i but the car payment was also $60-100/mo cheaper too.

I do put my wallet in the glovebox but the phone is something I like close access too which for now resides in my cup holders.
Old 08-09-14, 01:49 PM
EdEWdGo
Driver School Candidate

Whoever said the cup holder placement sucks is 100% right. I still go back and forth on whether I should have gotten a 435, because while I love the interior on the IS, the gas mileage on this car is not what I would ever call good (the engine makes enough power, but it really is long in the tooth and ready for an upgrade).

At the time I was really ready to buy a grand cherokee (I surf and snowboard a lot), and decided that since I do so much driving to work I'd go with a fun car until I have kids down the road. In hindsight I probably should have gotten the SUV, but that isn't the cars fault just the result of having a lifestyle that goes in two directions. I think my next purchase (I did a 3 year lease to see how I felt about Lex and keep payments down) will be a tough decision as I'll again be resisting the urge to balance lifestyle (looking hard at the Cayenne S) and desire (m4 vs RC F).

There are pros and cons to every car but I think the IS is a great purchase for most
Old 08-10-14, 08:03 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Obscene14
In tight city traffic the 250 might actually be ok. The 250 has an overly aggressive 1st gear. It has a high 1st gear throttle setting so it can jump from a stop sign or red light. The big issue with the 250 is gears 2-6. The throttle settings are very low so when combined with the limited torque output the car just has unacceptable acceleration. So basically as soon as traffic opens up to say 30-50 mph the 250 has absolutely no ***** to keep up with other mediocre cars. The cars I'm talking about are basic Accords, Altima 2.5's, Hundai Sonatas and similar cars. This is where I got pissed off at the 250. If my 37k Lexus can't keep up with a Sonata there is something wrong with the way Lexus is doing things.

When I say keep up I mean the that the gap between me and the car in front of me doesn't keep getting bigger. The only way for the 250 to maintain the gap was for me to press the pedal harder and the car to constantly drop a gear to keep up. Repeat this over and over and it gets old in traffic.
My experience in spotting 250s in NYC is mainly in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Staten Island. You're also making a lot of assumptions on who should be and who would be driving these cars. What people own and drive here in no way applies to the real world. CL is a very small sample of Lexus ownership. Trust me, there are a lot of 250s out there.

Lastly, keeping up with traffic is usually a matter of timing. If you hesitate for one second the cars in front of you will put some space on you. Now you have to catch up. I don't think it has much to do with what you're driving and what other people are driving.