IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

If you are given a second chance, will you still purchase an IS350 Fsport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 08:34 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
As much as I would love that, Lexus will never do this. It would crush RC-F sales.

The RC-F has a 5.0 L 2UR-GSE V8 engine with Atkinson cycle at cruising speeds. It produces over 450 hp and over 383 lb-ft of torque.

Base price is estimated to be around $65-$70K for the case, so that's a BIG step up from the IS350 base cost.

~ Im2bz2p345
Easy, like I mention for the GS 450h to step it up and get a v8. The RC-F should get a v10 that gets 0-60 in 3.6 seconds

If that's too much Lexus can still keep the GS 450h v6 while having the IS 400h to adapt the same engine and people would still opt for the GS if they want a more luxurious car. While the RC-F can keep its V8 engine, we're still yet to know the 0-60 time on it, but would work if it hits 3.6 seconds.

Basically what I'm saying is Lexus can and should upgrade their engine for better fuel efficiency and 0-60 time.
Old 08-05-14, 09:48 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

I would not buy if given a second chance. I would strongly consider new 2015 Audi S3 and BMW M235i. They are really appealing options in this segment and about in the same price range as fully loaded IS350 F-Sport (although it may not directly compete with these two).
Old 08-05-14, 03:22 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJW
I think I would have likely bought an S4 or S60 R-Design if I had a do over.

Horsepower aside, I find a lot of little things on the Lexus that just annoy me and the lack of options on the F-Sport.
I'm a big fan of the R-Designs, really underrated in my opinion, but they are due for a re-fresh.

What really annoys you about it?

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I would not buy if given a second chance. I would strongly consider new 2015 Audi S3 and BMW M235i. They are really appealing options in this segment and about in the same price range as fully loaded IS350 F-Sport (although it may not directly compete with these two).
For me, I didn't consider the S3 because it's FWD, and while the M235i is nice, it's only two doors. No interest in the 3 series, C class, or ATS?
Old 08-05-14, 05:44 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Come to think of it, I wish they added a manual transmission option. I think that's my only complaint. Autos are convenient, especially here in Los Angeles traffic, but it gets stale.

Then again, trying to have a fun car in Los Angeles traffic is an oxy-moron in itself since when is sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours fun....
Old 08-05-14, 09:17 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I'

For me, I didn't consider the S3 because it's FWD, and while the M235i is nice, it's only two doors. No interest in the 3 series, C class, or ATS?
FYI S3 is Quattro all wheel drive with 60% to rear and 40% to front split by default. Yes it is based on FWD platform but to call it FWD car would be incorrect. New C class is awesome at least according to initial reviews but i have not driven it yet. The C400 would be considerably more expensive than 3IS 350 and ATS is not my type of car. It has NA engine so I would think it shares the same driving characteristic as 3IS. 3 Series is awesome but again 335i is a lot more expensive than 3IS. I just think that next year S3 is just right car for me. It has 4G LTE with google earth integration, very strong powertrain and reasonably priced. It is also 32MPG highway! The only problem is a long term reliability, which if you lease wont be a concern.

Last edited by salvadorik; 08-05-14 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 10:06 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CJW
I think I would have likely bought an S4 or S60 R-Design if I had a do over.

Horsepower aside, I find a lot of little things on the Lexus that just annoy me and the lack of options on the F-Sport.
Coming from a S60R (Not S60 R Design) I wouldn't buy another Volvo again.
the iS350 is a much more refine drive than the S60R and I doubt the S60 R design would be much better with the FWD based AWD.
The only Volvo I would consider is the S60 R-Design Polestar.
Otherwise I would pick the IS350 any time over the S60 R-Design even its down on power.

However, the S4 is a more superior car than the IS350 F sport performance wise.
But it costs 30% more.....
Old 08-05-14, 10:32 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salvadorik
FYI S3 is Quatrro all wheel drive with 60% to rear and 40% to front split by default. Yes it is based on FWD platform but to call it FWD car would be incorrect. New C class is awesome at least according to initial reviews but i have not driven it yet. The C400 would be considerably more expensive than 3IS 350 and ATS is not my type of car. It has NA engine so I would think it shares the same driving characteristic as 3IS. 3 Series is awesome but again 335i is a lot more expensive than 3IS. I just think that next year 3S is just right car for me. It has 4G LTE with google earth integration, very strong powertrain and reasonably priced. It is also 32MPG highway! The only problem is a long term reliability, which if you lease wont be a concern.

Ahhh yes, I missed that and was thinking of the A3, not the S3. I am a fan of the Audi look, but would also lease instead of buy on that same account.
Old 08-06-14, 01:43 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

Having owned a 328i F30 prior to this (totaled by a drunk), I had planned to get a 328i or 335i again. Both quick cars but the blandish interior and the fact I couldn't find one optioned like I wanted made me go away from BMW. Test Drove all the other options like the S4, ATS, Q50, C350, and the IS350 and the only Two I really enjoyed from those were the Lexus and the Audi. The Audi however meant a payment $200 more per month and I couldn't justify that in any way over the Lexus. got the IS350 F sport and haven't had any regrets since.

ATS I didn't like bc the CUE system really is just bad and the transmission felt lethargic
Q50 was quick in a straight line but felt like a boat in corners and the infotainment was slow and laggy
C350 was good but aging design so I didn't want to get a car in its final model year.

Waiting wasn't an option since I needed a new car then.
Old 08-06-14, 01:56 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I'm a big fan of the R-Designs, really underrated in my opinion, but they are due for a re-fresh.

What really annoys you about it?
They refreshed the S60 this year, though it was still fairly mild.

Minor annoyances off the top of my head. A couple, no prob. All of them combine to be a bit much.

- No sunglass holder
- Seatbelt often locks when putting it on (have to be slow/deliberate)
- Two buttons for the sunroof and they do not work together i.e. if I want it to go from up to open, I can't just hit open like other cars. I have to close it on the one button, then open on the other.
- You also can't just hit the buttons. You have to hold them for a short period.
- When you start the car, the warning on the Nav system pops up. Takes a bit of time to change the radio and for the settings to pop up on screen.
- Wild volume swings when changing radio stations.
- Voice commands rarely work
- Text entry is painful.
- Connectivity is buggy.
Old 08-06-14, 02:25 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

i would buy it again but with a levinson sound system
Old 08-06-14, 08:22 PM
Belex1
Driver School Candidate

I have the IS 350 Non FSport and love it. Granted I am not really having any problems with it either. It's been a great car and it makes me feel good every time I drive it!
Old 08-08-14, 08:46 AM
Obscene14
Driver

I started my Lexus experience last November with a base 250. I hated it with a passion. Last week JM Lexus bought out my 250 lease and got me into a 350 with the nav package. The two cars are night and day. I love the 350. Lexus should do the world a favor and drop the 250 like Infinity dropped the G25.

When my lease is over I'd get another 350 in a heart beat.

Last edited by Obscene14; 08-08-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 09:04 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Obscene14
I started my Lexus experience last November with a base 250. I hated it with a passion. Last week JM Lexus bought out my 250 lease and got me into a 350 with the nav package. The two cars are night and day. I love the 350. Lexus should do the world a favor and drop the 250 like Infinity dropped the G25.

When my lease is over I'd get another 350 in a heart beat.
Let's hope you don't get sick of the 350 and get a ISF instead. And so on...
Old 08-08-14, 09:13 AM
a790
Driver

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
i would buy it again but with a levinson sound system
Add a small sub to your stereo and it will sound better than the ML.

I have the ML and will be adding a 10" sub shortly. Not because I like thundering bass, but because I like bass period. lol
Old 08-08-14, 11:06 AM
Obscene14
Driver

Originally Posted by drbazing
Let's hope you don't get sick of the 350 and get a ISF instead. And so on...
I may get tired of the 350 and want to upgrade but it's unlikely that I'll despise it like the 250. The 350 just does everything correctly. It's a competent car on the road.

Quick Reply: If you are given a second chance, will you still purchase an IS350 Fsport?