IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

If you are given a second chance, will you still purchase an IS350 Fsport?

Old 08-04-14, 08:00 PM
itBurnsISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to do it again .. I would get the 350 over my 250. (If I could afford it)

The lack of power, even after just a few days with it, is a bit disappointing.

However, I guess I should be glad I don't have a lot of power unlike my old GTO ... it means I'm less likely to get in trouble. lol
Old 08-04-14, 08:13 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Driving the car in eco mode for a few days creates the same effect... Sure, It feels fast and amazing switching to sport+ afterwards. But then the car falls short of impressive 10 minutes later... It's not about being used to its power. It's about the car lacking in that aspect and you just live with that fact. I had a 335i before and it surprised the crap out of me every time i'd step on it in second/third gears and feel that insane pull. In fact, when I got my IS, my friend took over the 335i lease, and I purposely avoided driving that car because it made me regret getting the 3IS. Sure, it lacked in many areas (interior, looks, etc), but when I drove it after having the lexus for a few weeks, it was just insane in comparison. All I could say was damn it. Same feeling I had when I drove an ISF twice - it was incredible. Made me feel really stupid about leasing my car and not getting the ISF.

I don't regret it that much, all I'm saying is that, if I'm still enthusiastic about cars when this lease ends, I'll never get anything other than a turbo or a v8 car. But that's just my conclusion. So yeah, the IS 350 is boring to me and there is no known cure other than a loud exhaust (temporary fix) and random mods. To those who like the car, that's great... But I feel that I'm paying slightly too much for what the car offers, and I'd rather be paying more but be able to say "damn...!" every time I drive something, or, on the other hand, pay much less if all I care about is a comfortable daily driver.
Old 08-04-14, 08:43 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
No offense but driving a 335i does not give me any wow feeling, it was simply a bit faster ...and I went in with the approach I'm buying either buying a S4 or 335i. I only test drove other cars to not make the same mistake I made the previous purchase ...plus test driving a bunch of awesome cars is the best part of the car buying process. If you aren't test driving BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, Infiniti and I would throw Caddy into the mix as well even tho I did skip on test driving a Caddy than I think you are not doing this car segment justice. Gotta try 'em all. So had I not taken that approach I'd probably be on the S4 forums right now as it had a definitive power advantage. Shame the handling sucks so bad though.

The 3IS "paying too much" comment... seems rather odd since a similarly equipped 335i is $10-14k more. For that much more I need a WOW feeling. Maybe the next gen will have it and will get rid of that numb handling the F30 has.

@OP
Yes ...nothing else in this price range is even as remotely tempting.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
grass is always greener, happens all the time
This.

Just like technology, something better is always coming off line and nothing is ever perfect so you will always have that feeling... "why can't it just do this..."
Old 08-04-14, 09:06 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i never really thought the 335 felt fast. M3 on the other hand....
Old 08-04-14, 09:09 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ I own both (see sig) and I can tell you the F30 335 feels like it obliterates my IS350 in a straight line. I've never raced them (because I think street racing my wife is plain stupid) but the engine on the 335 is lightyears ahead of my old 3.5L V6. In general though, I still prefer my IS
Old 08-05-14, 04:27 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

I wish my IS350 had a v8 Altkinson Engine that can run 30 mpg in the city and go 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. Is that possible?
Old 08-05-14, 05:14 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
I wish my IS350 had a v8 Altkinson Engine that can run 30 mpg in the city and go 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. Is that possible?
That would be amazing
Old 08-05-14, 05:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

would be a GSF. Still need to see what RCF gets mpg wise with the new engine
Old 08-05-14, 05:47 AM
CTLG
Rookie

Would I buy my IS350 F again? Yes. Would I rather have more power? Of course.

My other car is a 800hp Evo, but the IS is still a lot of fun to drive and is still the best car in its segment. I test drove the 335i and frankly was less than impressed in every way. What a boring car in both looks and handling and even in the engine in stock form. The 335i isn't much faster than the IS350, it just feels faster due to the low-end torque from the turbo-charged engine. Races aren't won at low RPM. The ONLY thing the 335i has going for it is aftermarket potential. I picked the IS because it spoke to me and continues to do so.
Old 08-05-14, 07:07 AM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

Nope - and for one relatively nutty reason, there are just too many of them on the road here in Miami for my taste.

I know the IS350 Fsport (what i have) is not an exotic and its appeal is broad, so expecting a level of exclusivity isn't really a fair thing to do. I thought the price might keep the numbers down, but with the 250F sport being as common as it is around here... I just don't feel like i''m driving something "Special" anymore.

Sure, this is all psychological and I'm most likely over compensating for SOMETHING if exclusivity is such a big deal to me. I've just always enjoyed driving something different from the bunch.. As I think about what I'll be doing at the end of my 27 month lease ( I actually LOVE the cars dual purpose nature, so i have actually considered buying it as my first long term vehicle) I'm constantly reminded of the fact that this is one of the best car's I've ever owned, but also one of the most popular.

As I'm still a one car guy, given the opportunity, I think I'd plump my money else where and wait for a 350Fsport to hit the used market. And then it would become the DD to end all other DD's

-Rick

Last edited by Sonik; 08-05-14 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-05-14, 07:25 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I would have likely bought an S4 or S60 R-Design if I had a do over.

Horsepower aside, I find a lot of little things on the Lexus that just annoy me and the lack of options on the F-Sport.
Old 08-05-14, 07:37 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by Sonik
Nope - and for one relatively nutty reason, there are just too many of them on the road here in Miami for my taste.

I know the IS350 Fsport (what i have) is not an exotic and its appeal is broad, so expecting a level of exclusivity isn't really a fair thing to do. I thought the price might keep the numbers down, but with the 250F sport being as common as it is around here... I just don't feel like i''m driving something "Special" anymore.

Sure, this is all psychological and I'm most likely over compensating for SOMETHING if exclusivity is such a big deal to me. I've just always enjoyed driving something different from the bunch.. As I think about what I'll be doing at the end of my 27 month lease ( I actually LOVE the cars dual purpose nature, so i have actually considered buying it as my first long term vehicle) I'm constantly reminded of the fact that this is one of the best car's I've ever owned, but also one of the most popular.

As I'm still a one car guy, given the opportunity, I think I'd plump my money else where and wait for a 350Fsport to hit the used market. And then it would become the DD to end all other DD's

-Rick
Yea that's why I traded my 2014 IS250 right after 3 month for a 2014 IS350 F Sport. BUT now I wish I have an ISF! Even the 2nd generation ISF is nice to stay away from the crowd.
Old 08-05-14, 07:43 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Okay maybe not a v8 Atkinson engine that gets 30 mpg city for the IS350 since GS seems better fitted for a v8. How about a v6? Isn't the current GS 450h a v6 Atkinson that runs 29 mpg for the city? Lexus should downgrade that engine to the IS400h and give the GS a v8 haha. Lexus believe Atkinson is better than turbos and I believe they might be right, but they need to show it to us by adding more to the lineup.
Old 08-05-14, 07:52 AM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

Yea that's why I traded my 2014 IS250 right after 3 month for a 2014 IS350 F Sport. BUT now I wish I have an ISF! Even the 2nd generation ISF is nice to stay away from the crowd.
Especially now that the last one rolled off the line, I definitely have to agree with you about the ISF.
Old 08-05-14, 08:21 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

As much as I would love that, Lexus will never do this. It would crush RC-F sales.

The RC-F has a 5.0 L 2UR-GSE V8 engine with Atkinson cycle at cruising speeds. It produces over 450 hp and over 383 lb-ft of torque.

Base price is estimated to be around $65-$70K for the car, so that's a BIG step up from the IS350 base cost.

I would be happy with a V6 turbo or twin turbo on the IS350 F-Sport. Or maybe an 275+ hp Atkinson V6 paired with an electric engine for monster torque off the line, lol.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 08-05-14 at 08:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you are given a second chance, will you still purchase an IS350 Fsport?