IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need Some Advice!

Old 07-31-14, 07:26 PM
mistaradio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Advice!

Hi! So I clipped a large piece of road debris on the freeway causing damage on the side of my front bumper. I'd really like some insight on whether or not I should repair the damage. And if I do repair it, how much would it cost roughly? Would the entire bumper have to be repainted? Thank you!

Old 07-31-14, 07:27 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ouch, i would repair that if it is was me.

have no idea about the cost.
Old 07-31-14, 07:50 PM
daobn24
Pole Position

Look at the bright side... Mod it! Clean up the scratch as best you can, buy the front TRD fin for the non F Sport and cover it up. Like this. =)

http://www.importtuner.com/features/kontrabrand_lexus_is250_flexin_a_2jz_powerplant_at_sema_2013/
Old 07-31-14, 07:51 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What I would do is:

1) have a shop repair it and blend it in (not paint the entire bumper unless your insurance can cover it with no deductible.....). The cost of repainting the bumper is around 300-400, not worth it for such a minor scratch.

2) get that side piece kit that slaps right onto those areas. That'll cost you less than repainting the whole bumper.

P.S. The guy above beat me to it! That's the kit i meant!
Old 08-01-14, 08:24 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I would fix it. I am a layman, but would expect it to cost $400 or so.
Old 08-01-14, 12:29 PM
mistaradio
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone. Thanks for the input! Just an update: I just got an estimate at a body shop and they said it'd cost around $850 because the car is new and they'd have to remove the entire bumper and all that jazz. D; Now I'm considering fixing it as best I can myself by cleaning it up a bit and filling in the scratch with putty.
Old 08-01-14, 12:41 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

since its a dark metallic paint, you can probably get away with a nice two stage touch up paint.
paint-clear-water sand-buff. Its very easy. I did the same thing on my mercedes (dark grey) and it matched pretty good.
Old 08-01-14, 01:01 PM
daobn24
Pole Position

Tell that body shop to shove it! You can get a brand new painted bumper from Sewell for that price.

Originally Posted by mistaradio
Hey everyone. Thanks for the input! Just an update: I just got an estimate at a body shop and they said it'd cost around $850 because the car is new and they'd have to remove the entire bumper and all that jazz. D; Now I'm considering fixing it as best I can myself by cleaning it up a bit and filling in the scratch with putty.
Old 08-01-14, 01:13 PM
mistaradio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daobn24
Tell that body shop to shove it! You can get a brand new painted bumper from Sewell for that price.
Haha yeah. When he gave me that quote I felt my face getting hot 'cause I looked up the cost of a new bumper beforehand. Oh well.
Old 08-01-14, 01:17 PM
mistaradio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
since its a dark metallic paint, you can probably get away with a nice two stage touch up paint.
paint-clear-water sand-buff. Its very easy. I did the same thing on my mercedes (dark grey) and it matched pretty good.
I hope that's the case! I've already got touch up paint so hopefully I don't screw up when I try to repair it.
Old 08-01-14, 01:24 PM
lexicanto
Driver School Candidate

Ouch, that hurts, I would repair it.
Old 08-01-14, 01:26 PM
mistaradio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
I don't think it is easy as everyone makes it but I do like the DIY mantra. I ran over a brick down my street and luckily dodged a bullet with no damage to the bumper but always remember, AVOIDANCE is the KEY TO SUCCESS so keep your eyes peeled to the road!! Goes to me first then to all!
Oh, it's definitely not going to be an easy task, especially since I've never attempted any kind of minor body repair on a car. Haha wow. I wouldn't have been able to run over the road debris I clipped. But yes. Lesson further learned. Going to be extra vigilant from now on. Thanks.
Old 08-02-14, 06:18 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by daobn24
Look at the bright side... Mod it! Clean up the scratch as best you can, buy the front TRD fin for the non F Sport and cover it up. Like this. =)

http://www.importtuner.com/features/..._at_sema_2013/
Thats Modellista, not TRD. Got them on my car.
Old 08-03-14, 07:33 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

I would take it to a detailer to have them buff it down or possibly wet sand if needed before I attempted to touch it up
Old 08-03-14, 07:38 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

You should ask Zack McGovern who posts in the detailing section of the CL forum what he suggests to minimize it. He is a professional detailer, unfortunately he's not located in California, but he is extremely helpful in providing members assistance. I would ask Zack what he thinks how it could be buffed out to minimize it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Some Advice!