IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tint cut short?

Old 07-29-14, 06:29 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tint cut short?

So I got my windows tinted with suntek carbon xp from a reputable tint place here in socal. However, the tint was cut short, so I brought it back and they retinted the window. So I waited for a few days for it to dry and I checked again and it's still cut short. Are our windows difficult to tint properly without having it cut short and have some sun shine through?
Old 07-29-14, 06:31 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a picture. It's in the top corner. Hope it's visible to you guys
Attached Thumbnails Tint cut short?-img_20140715_180957.jpg  
Old 07-29-14, 06:45 PM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when its closed is the rubber over that portion? if not I wouldn't take that. I will look at mine when I get back from work trip this whole week, but I am 90% sure that I do not have a gap like that
Old 07-29-14, 06:55 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

you cannot see the hole when the window is completely closed. Our window track is a little weird. it goes down straight, but shifts a little when it goes back up. it's barely noticeable when it's going down, but very apparent when it's going up.
Old 07-29-14, 10:31 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Checked mine and it isn't like yours.

I am in SoCal

Where did you go to get it done?
Old 07-29-14, 11:47 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dstopsie
Checked mine and it isn't like yours.

I am in SoCal

Where did you go to get it done?
thanks for checking! I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow to see what they can do to fix and/or compensate for having me to go in AGAIN to have it done properly, so i'll PM you where i got it done.
Old 07-30-14, 08:35 AM
breezytint
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a pretty big gap....whomever cut it, round that corner off a lil bit too much.

Yea, our window shifts a lil on closing. I sometimes have to pull it towards the back to have it sit right.
Old 07-30-14, 08:56 AM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just checked mine and it isn't like that. Have them cut the top portion of the tint while the window is halfway rolled down to eliminate the issue.
Good luck!
Old 07-30-14, 09:42 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the feedback! I'll give them another call today to see how they can fix it
Old 07-30-14, 08:43 PM
stevieb54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure the tint edge shrinks a bit when its done curing. Had that once on a car and a cop did a double take when I went by with the window open about 4". Being short sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 07-31-14, 12:12 AM
jdot85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the first time I've ever seen window tint with the corners cut rounded like that. Looks like somebody is 'cutting corners' :P
Old 07-31-14, 06:54 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car now which came tinted already is cut short like that. I have a local tint shop that has done a few of my previous cars and he does it all the way to the top. It does make a difference. I only use him now.
Old 07-31-14, 07:03 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are all cut a little short on both of my cars. One was tinted before I bought it (Miata), but the Lexus I had some local shop do it...both have a little gap at the top and I attribute it to the fact that they have to have the window closed when tinting (or else they'd not get the bottom) and the rubber sealing area gets in the way since the window slides all the way up into it.

so arguing about a little strip of untinted at top is being way too picky. You won't see it when the window is closed, and that's all that really matters.
Old 07-31-14, 08:51 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JGard18
Mine are all cut a little short on both of my cars. One was tinted before I bought it (Miata), but the Lexus I had some local shop do it...both have a little gap at the top and I attribute it to the fact that they have to have the window closed when tinting (or else they'd not get the bottom) and the rubber sealing area gets in the way since the window slides all the way up into it.

so arguing about a little strip of untinted at top is being way too picky. You won't see it when the window is closed, and that's all that really matters.
I would say your shop is on the lazy side, when you do the job the window should be down an you trim the top off the tint. When you close after that you do it carefully, and that is why they do not want you rolling the window up and down...
IMHO
Old 07-31-14, 11:56 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JGard18

I don't think I'm being picky. I just have standards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tint cut short?