IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Scratches on Nuluxe door panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 01:49 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scratches on Nuluxe door panels

What you guys use to remove light scratches on Nuluxe door panels? Why son like to run his shoes on the panels when he sits on the car seat.
Old 07-22-14, 03:08 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a few scratches too from my dog. Try using olive oil to soften it up, usually works on leather, not sure about the nuluxe. Also try rich leather by meguiars, that nearly fixed my dash scratch, it's barely visible now. Other than that, a professional place would be your only bet.
Old 07-22-14, 04:08 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I apologize for not having a direct answer to the question as it applies to Nuluxe, but here's a slightly different spin. Over the years I've stopped going to lunch with coworkers (if it involves me driving my own car) simply because I like to keep my vehicle looking nice, and I've found that even when all intentions are good, other people simply are not careful enough with my property, and through simple neglect will scratch things, step or sit on things like sunglasses, etc. without even looking where they are going first. I'm always very careful with other people's things, and in the rare case something gets damaged because of me I offer to pay for it (but my attitude is seemingly rare).

The one good thing about your situation is that it's your son, and you have the opportunity to teach him to respect the property of others and discipline him when he strays. My parents would have slapped me sideways if I had scratched their car when I was young, or made me work to pay for the damage if I was old enough. I am so grateful for their approach to parenting today, it is what made me a self-disciplined and high earner in my career. I see so many parents letting their kids run amuck (not making any assumptions that you're one of them of course) these days and I think it's one reason we see folks getting into such severe trouble at younger and younger ages.
Old 07-22-14, 05:28 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

So the real solution then is to go back in time, teach your little kid not to scratch your door panels and just be a better parent overall! And that's how you keep nuluxe looking new ! So then I should also teach my dog some manners. But the nuluxe has already been scratched so the OP needs some practical solution

Last edited by TheShaddix; 07-22-14 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 05:41 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
So the real solution then is to go back in time, teach your little kid not to scratch your door panels and just be a better parent overall! And that's how you keep nuluxe looking new ! So then I should also teach my dog some manners. But the nuluxe has already been scratched so the OP needs some practical solution
The difference is that your dog probably will never understand that the Nuluxe on the doors of these cars is up where a human arm would be, and that nobody's feet should be remotely near it. But then again most dog problems are rooted in owner problems as well. Maybe clip his nails? Sorry but one smartass comment warrants another. Not putting feet on an armrest is a pretty practical solution to preventing the problem in the future if you ask me. Preventing the problem from recurring is going to be a lot more valuable than figuring out how to constantly mask scratches each time it occurs anyway.

Last edited by dasbuch; 07-22-14 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 06:03 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

You're right. However, the scratches will not be fixed with your lectures. Now, if the OP posted a thread asking how to prevent them, your posts would be very useful indeed. Right now it's just you giving him, and now me, some grief about how we could have avoided it with better parenting & dog training and grooming. Your point was well understood and noted, and agreed with. One thing i realized about forum arguments is they provide 0 results and are useless. So, please, let's get back on topic and suggest/discuss how to fix the scratches.
Old 07-22-14, 06:12 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was me and because I don't have much experience with nuluxe, I would go to a shoe repair shop or upholsterer, as I am sure they work with this type of faux leather. Good luck OP!

And on the idea of teaching his child about respecting property, I have to respectfully disagree with what you said dasbuch. While it is good to teach your kids respect, it sounds like his kid is still too young to grasp that concept, and I don't think slapping him is going to help anything IMHO.
Old 07-22-14, 06:15 PM
dasbuch
Driver

It is common in any of these threads to see prevention tips, particularly in cases where there is most likely not going to be a fix that truly solves the problem. I don't see that this thread needs to be any different according to one person. I started that message by apologizing for not having a solution to the question as asked, and anyone who does not want to read the rest can easily bail out there. I certainly didn't come here to argue either, I just don't want to give the impression that I was injecting random off-topic parenting lectures.

My understanding is that Nuluxe is in essence a vinyl or vinyl-like material, and with any variety of "plastic" surface, there's not really a solution to scuffs and scratches aside from replacing it or finding a way to heat-treat and "melt" the material back toward it's original form (not recommended in this case!). Putting something on it to moisturize (as we might with leather) is not going to have the same effect as it would with leather. Possibly a minor cosmetic improvement? But useless it not combined with prevention going forward.

Hopefully that explanation makes more clear my focus on prevention.
Old 07-22-14, 06:16 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by Lost808
If it was me and because I don't have much experience with nuluxe, I would go to a shoe repair shop or upholsterer, as I am sure they work with this type of faux leather. Good luck OP!

And on the idea of teaching his child about respecting property, I have to respectfully disagree with what you said dasbuch. While it is good to teach your kids respect, it sounds like his kid is still too young to grasp that concept, and I don't think slapping him is going to help anything IMHO.
I didn't suggest slapping the kid. If he is too young to understand why shoes don't belong on armrests, the problem could probably be solved with car seat placement.
Old 07-22-14, 06:34 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
I didn't suggest slapping the kid. If he is too young to understand why shoes don't belong on armrests, the problem could probably be solved with car seat placement.
Or removing his shoes. My father wouldn't even let me put gum wrappers in the ash trays in his cars. If my feet were on the seat, that was a cardinal sin. That's why I'm the obsessive-compulsive car fanatic that I am today.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but I'll trade the scratches in the Nuluxe for the dents in the aluminum on the door panel of my GS.
Old 07-22-14, 11:43 PM
Helterran
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexol.. that's what lexus ppl told me
Old 07-23-14, 09:05 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
What you guys use to remove light scratches on Nuluxe door panels? Why son like to run his shoes on the panels when he sits on the car seat.
Would you mind showing some pictures of the scratches? How deep are the scratches? Are they surface abrasion? Do they show up in different colour?

As dasbuch suggested, Nuluxe is essentially vinyl. 100% scratch removal is not possible without professional vinyl repair which involves colour touch-up, and heat treatment (as mentioned by dasbuch as well). I have seen a guy outsourced by dealership who was repairing a dash on a ES years ago. But I haven't seen the end result and can't tell if 100% fix is possible at all in some cases.

To hide the scratches on your door or make them less noticeable, use quality vinyl cleaner/conditioner product. They enhance the colour of the door panel which may make the scratches less noticeable.

Good choices are Jeff Werkstatt Satin Prot, CarPro PERL, Zymol Vinyl -- I have been using these products in various vinyl portions of the car. They all won't leave greasy and glossy look. Just satin finish.

The success of the scratch hiding depends on the location and the length of the scratches. Here was my experience --- years ago, a scratch of finger nail deep was on the vinyl portion of the door panel of our RX. It was caused by someone who pushed the door out by applying pressure in the middle of the door panel. The scratch is a vertical one and it is only noticeable at a certain time of the day because of the location and orientation of the scratch.

For more info -

http://www.live2detail.com/showthrea...or-trim-panels

Last edited by AndyL; 07-23-14 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-25-14, 01:15 PM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
First, I apologize for not having a direct answer to the question as it applies to Nuluxe, but here's a slightly different spin. Over the years I've stopped going to lunch with coworkers (if it involves me driving my own car) simply because I like to keep my vehicle looking nice, and I've found that even when all intentions are good, other people simply are not careful enough with my property, and through simple neglect will scratch things, step or sit on things like sunglasses, etc. without even looking where they are going first. I'm always very careful with other people's things, and in the rare case something gets damaged because of me I offer to pay for it (but my attitude is seemingly rare).

The one good thing about your situation is that it's your son, and you have the opportunity to teach him to respect the property of others and discipline him when he strays. My parents would have slapped me sideways if I had scratched their car when I was young, or made me work to pay for the damage if I was old enough. I am so grateful for their approach to parenting today, it is what made me a self-disciplined and high earner in my career. I see so many parents letting their kids run amuck (not making any assumptions that you're one of them of course) these days and I think it's one reason we see folks getting into such severe trouble at younger and younger ages.
Don't you think it's a bit over-reactive to not let people sit in your car for the fear of it actually wearing out? I understand the love of having a clean and neat car but in my opinion, enjoying the car with people around you gives a better sense of satisfaction.
Old 06-03-18, 08:58 AM
Genthree
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several years of minor interior scratches have accumulated on both the hard and soft portions of the drivers side interior door panel (I've been lucky with passenger side scratches just by being careful who I allow in the car... lol).

I just took a magic eraser, dampened with water and started out with very light rubs, and increased the pressure until I started to notice a difference. It worked absolute wonders on the soft Nuluxe areas, I will be retreating again soon.
On the top area that houses the door handle (harder plastic), the difference is not as dramatic, but it did lessen the visibility of them using the same amount of pressure as the soft area. I am going to do another pass at the hard plastic again with a bit more pressure next time.. I wanted to see the final results in various lighting conditions before deciding to continue or not.

Basically this seems to be the easiest / cheapest fix available -- for these two areas at least.

As always, be careful with magic erasers! Start out light and increase once you see how the material reacts to varying levels of pressure.
Old 06-03-18, 09:34 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, picture of the issue at hand would help in treating/advice on repair techniques. Some can be fixed with simple tactics, Lexol, Meguiar’s, or even the magic eraser. Others will require takedown and refinishing, but in most cases you can still repair yourself with the proper materials at hand for a fraction of the cost of a professional.

Quick Reply: Scratches on Nuluxe door panels