IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gas Mileage

Old 07-22-14, 04:08 PM
johng99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
EPA estimates are based on putting the car on a dyno and simulating "typical driving" controlled conditions. It does not simulate "enthusiast" driving. In other words yes if you put a IS350 and a IS250 through the standard EPA test cases, you will see only about a 10 percent difference in MPG. However, most people that buy a IS350 want to use the extra horsepower -- the extra horsepower that does not really get utilized much during the EPA tests. So, in real world driving you might see a 20%-30% difference in MPG between the cars.

But it's not the car. It's the driver.

I've said it before here but it's worth saying it again. How you drive the car is the single biggest factor in your gas mileage. The EPA calculations are accurate in that they measure MPG in a controlled environment. Drivers who buy fast cars because they want punchy acceleration drive their cars differently than the car as its tested on the dynamometer for the EPA ratings.
Exactly!

Now that my first few weeks of driving the car hard all the time are behind me, i'm finding that I get mileage that is actually very close to the EPA ratings. On my everyday commute through heavy traffic, I get 19 mpg. This rises to the low twenties on less congested suburban roads, and I got 28 mpg on a two-hour drive on the open freeway a couple weeks ago. Note that this is always in sport mode, but mostly just flowing with traffic with only the occasional burst of unwarranted acceleration.

On the other hand, i've seen 16 mpg when driving hard on mountain roads, and one afternoon I reset the mileage when leaving work, drove in stop and go traffic up hill for twenty minutes, and got 9 mpg.

This is in an IS350 F-Sport AWD, btw.
Old 07-24-14, 11:45 AM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

350 Fsport:

I get 16.5 AVG. Reset a couple of times. I drive MOST the time in eco, but don't do any highway at all on my commute. The 350 gulps gas. I get the whole " How you drive a car" thing, but in that same light I could not drive the car at all and get even better gas mileage. I'm a spirited driver sure, but no red light racer. Luckily, my commute is very very short- which probably explains the crap mileage (No highway cruising, where i get better millage, but not by much).
Old 07-24-14, 11:51 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that's what I mean by it's not the car it's the driver. Short trips and spirited driving are a circumstance of your particular lifestyle rather than the car itself. It doesn't mean it's necessarily easy to change your commute situation (although I'm sure you could remove the spirited part of your driving and see big improvements in your MPG), but it's still a factor of how the car is being driven.

I was just trying to address the time-tested myth that EPA estimates are BS -- they are valid tests, but they only cover typical driving in typical conditions, they aren't designed to cover every scenario (i.e. spirited driving on lots of short trips in a hot climate where the A/C is working hard).
Old 07-24-14, 11:53 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonik
350 Fsport:

I get 16.5 AVG. Reset a couple of times. I drive MOST the time in eco, but don't do any highway at all on my commute. The 350 gulps gas. I get the whole " How you drive a car" thing, but in that same light I could not drive the car at all and get even better gas mileage. I'm a spirited driver sure, but no red light racer. Luckily, my commute is very very short- which probably explains the crap mileage (No highway cruising, where i get better millage, but not by much).
I'm in the same boat, but at least we don't gas up too often. I gas up every 2.5 weeks vs people who drive freeway, who probably gas up every weekend and a few days maybe.
Old 07-25-14, 08:09 AM
aeggroup
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IS250 AWD 600 miles on ODO.
Highway - 25mpg
City (NYC) - from 13 to 16 mpg ( depends how I drive)
Old 10-21-14, 11:34 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aeggroup
IS250 AWD 600 miles on ODO.
Highway - 25mpg
City (NYC) - from 13 to 16 mpg ( depends how I drive)
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I'm a bit disappointed in the mileage to say the least.

I'm doing about the same as you, but I'm down a couple MPG on the highway. I cruise between 70-80.

My mileage blows in the city, but then again I'm sometimes only averaging 7-10 mph. So I think there is "city" driving and "stuck in the city" driving. Regardless, my car seems to be way below the EPA estimates. In fact, my mileage is inline with my old Audi RS4 which had a big honking 420 hp V8.
Old 10-21-14, 12:00 PM
Loe
Pole Position

I easily averaged 36.2mpg driving home from the dealer 95% hwy, avg speed 58mph (OBC), 121mile trip. Came away impressed.

However, I get 22.8mpg all city, avg speed 23mph (OBC). I dont hit every red light, traffic is heavy but typically flowing. Still impressed, but I averaged 25mpg in my 335i in the same environment, but still well ahead on my M3 (16.3mpg)

Sarasota, Florida, elevation sea level +/- 50 ft.
Old 10-21-14, 01:22 PM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Loe
I easily averaged 36.2mpg driving home from the dealer 95% hwy, avg speed 58mph (OBC), 121mile trip. Came away impressed.

However, I get 22.8mpg all city, avg speed 23mph (OBC). I dont hit every red light, traffic is heavy but typically flowing. Still impressed, but I averaged 25mpg in my 335i in the same environment, but still well ahead on my M3 (16.3mpg)

nice mpg there. Is that on eco mode the whole time? I managed to get around 27-28mpg on my IS250 going 60-65mph.
Old 10-21-14, 02:43 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

Originally Posted by Loe

Going to work in the morning i avg around 25mpg and going home at average 26mpg. The majority of the trips ar 75% highway and the rest city. If I get unlucky and sit in traffic I will average around 22mpg. The main trick to achieve high mpg is letting your gas pedal go and cruise to stops. I admit it, I drive like an old man. Other factors to consider is knowing your route. If I go somewhere new and don't know where all the lights and stops signs are I average 22mpg.
Old 10-21-14, 02:51 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Loe

I think this is where the discrepancies come in. You say city but mention an average speed of 23 mph. To me, that's something I achieve in the burbs. I live in Philly and frequently have to drive across town meaning downtown. Its not uncommon for me to average under 10 mph. Therefore your city numbers are going to be much better than my city numbers. With 600 miles in the car my combined average is 17 mpg. Yeah, traffic sucks around here.
Old 10-21-14, 03:01 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonik
I get 16.5 AVG.
WISH I got 16.5 mpg's! I get 13.5 in my 2014 IS350 AWD F Sport with 10k miles!? :|

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
I'm a bit disappointed in the mileage to say the least.
How many mpg's are you averaging? What a ****ty situation!
Old 10-21-14, 04:04 PM
Loe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DreamAce7
nice mpg there. Is that on eco mode the whole time? I managed to get around 27-28mpg on my IS250 going 60-65mph.
Eco mode doesn't make a noticable difference, it upshifts to 8 just fine in normal mode. I accelerate faster than the normal person but I keep my speed steady and I tend to time my lights by squinting at those pedestrian countdown things (I can't recall what they are called, the lights that numerically count down to "0" to signify if the light will turn red) and coast off the gas if I know it'll turn red. I never follow anyone up close and leave a good gap 1) I do not want to rear end anyone, and 2) it lets me coast versus hit my brakes if the car in front decides to turn into a shopping lot.

I actually find the digital speedo on the F-sport difficult to gauge and maintain my speed. Without that visual need "swinging" it's not as intuitive for me (still in the learning curve).
Old 10-21-14, 06:45 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dbs600
WISH I got 16.5 mpg's! I get 13.5 in my 2014 IS350 AWD F Sport with 10k miles!? :|

Can't really say for sure because I haven't had the car for that long. The other day I only got like 10 mpg, but that was after an hour long trek through the city at an avg of 7 mph, so pretty much any non-hybrid car would suck in those driving conditions.
Old 10-21-14, 06:56 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600

May I ask how you are calculating your mileage? Are you using the computer or are you manually calculating it per fill up?
Old 10-21-14, 08:07 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evident
May I ask how you are calculating your mileage? Are you using the computer or are you manually calculating it per fill up?
Manually calculated for first 9+ months of ownership; gave up towards the end of the summer; on board computer is pretty accurate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Mileage