IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Worst dealer service ever @ Maplewood Lexus in MN!

Old 07-21-14, 09:17 PM
GSE21tuner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being nitpicky and posting your misadventures on a public forum? Flame suit up!
Old 07-21-14, 09:59 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salvadorik
lol I am not sure what your objective is here. You are trying to undermine my credibility? Nobody accused here anybody, period. You completely misinterpreted me. Dude, lets get back to the topic and stop personal attacks. We are here to discuss the car related issues and we want unbiased and honest discussions, period.
lol, what personal attack? You make a bold and baseless statement towards members who have posted in this thread, which includes me, get challenged on it by myself and SW13GS then turn around and accuse both of us of personal attacks where there was none. I didn't undermine your credibility, you're doing that on your own. If you wanted to simply discuss car related issues, you'd have kept your initial comments to yourself, instead you decided to fuel a dying fire with the off-topic remark, and then play the victim.

You want to get back on topic an discuss cars and service, fine by me, lets do that. I'll start by saying I fully agree with what you said here:

Nobody is saying here that OP was unequivocally entitled to the service that he requested. Yes the dealer justified their position very clearly and yes we all know that dealers are in the business of making money. But agreeing to fix those three issues would not have been the end of the world for the dealer. In fact they would have demonstrated that they are willing to go extra mile to keep the customers happy. Let me tell you something. I am a CPA myself and I deal with a variety of customers. I have some easy going clients and of course some clients that require very special treatment. Quite a few of them are not willing to pay the taxes at all! Rather frequently I just charge only enough to cover my overhead and sometimes completely write it off. So I believe that keeping clients happy is the key in providing service. Lexus can and should do the same. Dealers know how to charge tons of money for simple services. Sometimes there are those customers where losing little money will further bolster your reputation that inevitably results in more customer retention and even switching from competitors. The bottom line is I am not very impressed with Lexus. It is a good brand but so far I have not seen or experienced the type of the service that is known for. And please keep your personal attacks for yourself we want to see more discussions that are subject centered.
It indeed would have been great customer service if the dealer had performed the repairs requested by the OP, a point I even eluded to earlier in this thread. However, that is not the same thing as "bad" customer service if they decide not to, given the circumstances.

Lets not forget, OP did not go to the dealer hoping to get lucky, he went with expectations. Expectations that extend to wanting the dealership to cover any scratches for the extent of the warranty period so long as he promises they weren't caused by himself. Let me put that in perspective. He expects to be able to walk into the dealer ship with 49,999 miles on the odo, and say "Hey Mr service manager, fix this scratch. I didn't notice it for nearly 50k miles, but I know it came with the car because I'd have known if something I did caused it"

Sometimes it pays to be assertive to get what you want, other times it pays to be humble to get what you want. This is a case where being humble may very well have went further with the dealership. Something OP may have recognized if he didn't drive up there with an unreasonable sense of entitlement.
Old 07-21-14, 10:31 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramon
lol, what personal attack? You make a bold and baseless statement towards members who have posted in this thread, which includes me, get challenged on it by myself and SW13GS then turn around and accuse both of us of personal attacks where there was none. I didn't undermine your credibility, you're doing that on your own. If you wanted to simply discuss car related issues, you'd have kept your initial comments to yourself, instead you decided to fuel a dying fire with the off-topic remark, and then play the victim.

You want to get back on topic an discuss cars and service, fine by me, lets do that. I'll start by saying I fully agree with what you said here:

It indeed would have been great customer service if the dealer had performed the repairs requested by the OP, a point I even eluded to earlier in this thread. However, that is not the same thing as "bad" customer service if they decide not to, given the circumstances.

Lets not forget, OP did not go to the dealer hoping to get lucky, he went with expectations. Expectations that extend to wanting the dealership to cover any scratches for the extent of the warranty period so long as he promises they weren't caused by himself. Let me put that in perspective. He expects to be able to walk into the dealer ship with 49,999 miles on the odo, and say "Hey Mr service manager, fix this scratch. I didn't notice it for nearly 50k miles, but I know it came with the car because I'd have known if something I did caused it"

Sometimes it pays to be assertive to get what you want, other times it pays to be humble to get what you want. This is a case where being humble may very well have went further with the dealership. Something OP may have recognized if he didn't drive up there with an unreasonable sense of entitlement.
Good, I am glad that we are making a progress here.
Old 07-22-14, 02:41 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You said there are not many 3IS owners but many Lexus employees around here. That to me suggests you're saying one is greater than the other. Specifically more Lexus employees than 3IS owners in the forum. The third option appears to be that you didn't say what you think you said.

Someone either is or is not an employee. The pretense that the replies are from Lexus employees is not a matter of opinion. Your accusation is either right or wrong. I won't presume to speak for everyone as you attempted to do so, but I will say that as far as I'm concerned, your accusation is wrong and without merit.
Actually his comment was clear . He said not every one is a fellow 3IS owner ( true ) , and many ( not the majority he said ) are working for the lexus dealers .
Old 07-22-14, 05:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Guys lets keep this on issue resolution for the op and not continuing to pick at semantics please
Old 07-22-14, 09:24 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

SonyHome, if/when you try a different dealer please let us know the outcome.
Old 07-22-14, 06:22 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoosier1
Having a dealership remove your steering wheel to install an accessory is risky. Your scratch likely happened at that time, but it appears that many of the interior surfaces of the IS are fragile...especially the dash. I would recommend that you attempt to use a non-abrasive car polish on the scratch. If you search the IS thread, note that there are several posts for steering wheel damage due to rings and other items.

I also detail my cars prior to service visits and ask the SA to inspect the car for damage. I also wait at the dealership while having service performed. The local BMW dealership has a glass wall where you can watch as your car is serviced, and I miss that arrangement at my local Lexus dealership. BMW technicians are for the most part highly compensated for their knowledge. It's interesting that the Lexus dealership has mechanic openings advertised paying 13 - 17 bucks an hour and will train the right person. A thorough walk around is completed prior to driving away from the dealership. I have experienced damage during service visits but will immediately point out the damage. With that said, sometimes no repair is requested, as the more they mess with your car, the more cosmetic damage will result.

Brake dust is minimal compared to BMW. I really enjoy not having a heavy, and I do mean to the extreme, brake dust on my IS. Brake dust is normal for BMW and Audi.

After reading your button alignment issue, I checked my IS and 2013 ES buttons. One of my buttons is more recessed than the others, and the ES buttons are not perfectly aligned. They look okay and function perfectly. If your ACC button is functioning properly, you will run into the scenario of fix a thing, break a thing, if the dealership attempts a repair.

The great thing about buying a new car is the warranty, new car smell and knowing the history of your car. You mentioned that it's been 13 years since you purchased your last new car. I can understand why you want everything to be perfect and perhaps the reason for your anger is the dealership making you feel like a liar.
You may be right about when the scratch happened but I can't be sure since I didn't notice it right away. But if you look at the scratch it looks like it may have come from something they used to possibly remove the airbag cover that sits on top of that trim. Just guessing...

You are absolutely right about main reason for my anger/disappointment. I can't believe that they couldn't think there was any chance that this could have been missed in their preinspection or caused by them removing my steering wheel to install the fog light steering wheel stalk.

Thanks for the post!
Old 07-22-14, 06:24 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

salvadorik, AMNss, Dark9t316 & hoosier1, thanks for your support and contribution to the thread. I also appreciate others inputs as well. It's ok if we don't all agree but we should definitely treat each other with respect.

I agree had I seen the little scratch and brought it to dealer's attention right away they probably would have addressed it without any issues. I was just disappointed that they didn't take into consideration that they could have missed the scratch in their preinspection, which from normal view is very hard to see. Also depending on when they installed my LED fog light and steering wheel stalk which required steering wheel to be removed it could have happened after the preinspection since I picked up the car with fog lights installed. In regards to the ACC button, I did tell them it's harder to press it because of the difference in height so all I asked was for them to see if it's adjustable.

All of these are minor things and that may have also contributed to dealer not wanting to do anything about them. I love my 3IS F-Sport which I'm planning to keep for long time and give to my son so I will be going to another dealer in town to service it from now on.
Old 07-22-14, 06:44 PM
CBlack0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I have ~3000 miles on my IS350 F-Sport that I purchased in January and had my 6mo / 5k checkup. Car has been great and I only listed 3 minor things for the dealer to address.

1. Excessive Brake Dust on Front
2. ACC button sits lower than all other steering wheel button height
3. Light scratch on steering wheel trim.

Service rep takes his finger and checks the front wheels. Acknowledges excessive brake dust. I was hoping they would offer swap with pad that has less dust but he later claims everything normal. Even though I've read others on this forum getting offer for different pads by their dealer, this service rep doesn't make any such offer.

Service rep wants to compare the ACC button with another car even though I asked him to adjust the button up to same height as other buttons. He pulls in with regular 3IS that has ACC. Well on this IS, ACC button is literally flush with the steering wheel frame and sits even lower than my button. This tells me there must be some adjustment but because this IS also doesn't have the ACC button height same as other buttons on the steering wheel he claimed my ACC button is normal even though two ACC buttons heights are a lot different. To me this indicates there is some height adjustment which could be tweaked but they won't do any thing about it.

Lastly a small scratch that came with the car. Believe it or not this little scratch had to involve service rep, service manager and general manager at the Maplewood Lexus dealer. They won't fix the scratch on the steering wheel silver trim even thought I told them it came like that because they are saying if it came this way I should have brought it to them shortly after I took delivery. Scratch was very light & hard to see and I didn't even see it until two or three months after I took delivery but since it wasn't effecting the way it drives I planned to get it addressed @ 6mo/5k checkup along with other items. They are saying because I didn't mention it until 6mo/5k checkup scratch wasn't there when the car was delivered basically accusing me of scratching it after I took delivery and lying about it. I've never been so furious with any dealer service in my life as I'm with Maplewood Lexus. Worse yet Lexus customer service won't fix this under warranty because they are siding with the dealer's statement that car was perfect when I took delivery. This really is worst experience I've had with any car dealer service and the issue WAS really minor one that involves like $20 trim part!

Love the 3IS F-Sport but VERY DISAPPOINTENTED with Maplewood Lexus Service & Lexus Customer Service!
You can't really get mad at the dealer because you didn't look the car over well enough. Most warranties only cover mechanical issues, but by the sounds of it I am sure this is a great dealership and if you noticed right away they would have tried to rectify the situation as best they could. I guess this is a learning situation for you.

I had a similar issue when I bought my Lexus, but Fort Lauderdale Collection was great. They gave me a few options I could replace my vehicle or they could knock of some money on the purchase price. I was fine with saving some cash, let's face it they aren't cheap cars!
Old 07-22-14, 10:40 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Unreasonable sense of entitlement? You make it sound like I was making harsh demands of the dealer.

It's true that I felt bringing these minor issues up at 6mo checkup was appropriate time but I didn't make any demands or set any expectations with the dealer when I brought the car in. I honestly didn't think that dealer wouldn't even take the time to see if the button was adjustable or state that there were no scratches when I picked up the car when it's obvious to me there was. Even after the service manager was told there was scratch on the steering wheel trim that day by his service rep he couldn't even find it on his own. Then how could they say for sure there was no scratch before? They would at least have to acknowledge there was possibility they didn't see it. On top of that if they would have believed my statement that I didn't cause the scratch (yes I'm still 100% sure I or my wife didn't cause the scratch) then there would be no reason for not repair/replacing the defective part.

In fact Lexus customer service denied the warranty repair not because it's 6mo later but because dealer stated they were sure there were no scratch when I picked up the car.
Old 07-22-14, 11:31 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

You should be posting this on their Yelp page, not here, if you want results. The average consumer is much more apt to reading reviews on Yelp.

Last edited by eyeball; 07-23-14 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 07:41 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Unreasonable sense of entitlement? You make it sound like I was making harsh demands of the dealer.

It's true that I felt bringing these minor issues up at 6mo checkup was appropriate time but I didn't make any demands or set any expectations with the dealer when I brought the car in. I honestly didn't think that dealer wouldn't even take the time to see if the button was adjustable or state that there were no scratches when I picked up the car when it's obvious to me there was. Even after the service manager was told there was scratch on the steering wheel trim that day by his service rep he couldn't even find it on his own. Then how could they say for sure there was no scratch before? They would at least have to acknowledge there was possibility they didn't see it. On top of that if they would have believed my statement that I didn't cause the scratch (yes I'm still 100% sure I or my wife didn't cause the scratch) then there would be no reason for not repair/replacing the defective part.

In fact Lexus customer service denied the warranty repair not because it's 6mo later but because dealer stated they were sure there were no scratch when I picked up the car.
I'm sure the 6 month time frame had something to do with the dealer claiming they were sure and Lexus backing them. The fact of the matter is, 6 months ago you and the dealer were on the same page. You can keep claiming that you're 100% sure it was there, but the reality remains that it's impossible for you to be 100% sure it came with the car unless you saw it when you first sat in there before driving it off the lot. We've been through this, rehashing it isn't going to change anything. Anyway, good luck in your search to find a dealer that will replace parts under warranty because of scratches invisible in photographs that you didn't notice until 6 months after owning the car.
Old 07-23-14, 11:03 AM
Vairox
Pit Crew

5k service is a waste of time, they look at fluids send you on your way I skipped mine, I'll take it for the 10k oil change. Took them 3 hours to look at my dead battery I can only imagine how long it takes to check my brake fluid and power steering, no thanks.