IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Worst dealer service ever @ Maplewood Lexus in MN!

Old 07-20-14, 09:44 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
I hate, and yes that's a strong word, but I hate people like you. (OP)

You clearly have ZERO common sense, they should just take your car back and never allow you to buy a Lexus again. That's how STUPID you sound.

Brake dust? really? All IS' have this issue, LIVE WITH IT!
A button? I'm speechless for this.
A scratch after MONTHS of owning the car?! Should they provide you with a full detail as well to make the car look like new again....

WOW, simply WOW!!
My common sense and logical thinking is sound thank you!

I'm heart broken that you don't love me! I'm sure I'll be devastated for years to come...
Old 07-20-14, 09:55 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before the photos, I thought you were being unreasonable with the complaints... After the pics, I'm certain of it.

I'm curious about one thing, in your estimation, were does the dealers responsibility end and yours begin? Apparently, half a year isn't enough, so at what point is the dealer within their right to refuse service for a scratch that was not noticed at the time of purchase? a year? 5 years? Indefinitely?
Old 07-20-14, 09:55 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I mean...I see what you mean about the button but I wouldn't bother to do anything about that.

You have to see the dealers position about the scratch. You say why shouldn't they believe you, but why should they believe you? You also never addressed my hypothetical question about the door ding. If someone came up to you and said you dinged their door 3 months ago and they never got around to telling you...but could offer no proof...would you fix their door? Bear in mind this is a stranger...not a friend. Be honest.

As for the promised hour being an hour and 45 minutes...have you ever been to a dealership before? Ever been to a doctors office? I have literally never waited in a car at any dealership or mechanic that was ready when they said it would be lol.

You need to adjust your expectations
I see good point and perspective from others in this thread.

Why should dealer believe me?
I guess this is more of hope that we could start a relationship with trust between us. Why should I believe the dealer when they tell me my car has this issue or that? Trust goes both ways. I never ever imagined that Lexus dealers would have hard time trusting their customers base considering who (I'm making some stereo typing here so for give me if not all buyers fit) buys their cars.

Your situation with door ding is completely different because that is not in a controlled area of the car where only you as driver have access to and anything could happen even when you are not present. Also door dings are easily observed when checking the car so I would think both dealer and customer could easily see it when picking up the car.

As for extra 45 min wait, sure that could happen but I would think service rep would tell you at 1 hour promised time or little before that things will go little longer, perhaps even offer a loaner or ride back to work if I needed to get back. Just a thought...
Old 07-20-14, 10:00 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
Before the photos, I thought you were being unreasonable with the complaints... After the pics, I'm certain of it.

I'm curious about one thing, in your estimation, were does the dealers responsibility end and yours begin? Apparently, half a year isn't enough, so at what point is the dealer within their right to refuse service for a scratch that was not noticed at the time of purchase? a year? 5 years? Indefinitely?
Is that because you think the scratch is not major enough? Assuming we agree that defect came with the car I would assume Lexus/Dealer repair/replace the part for the duration of bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 07-20-14, 10:04 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Is that because you think the scratch is not major enough? Assuming we agree that defect came with the car I would assume Lexus/Dealer repair/replace the part for the duration of bumper to bumper warranty.
We aren't agreeing that it came with the car at all. You didn't even notice it until recently, and we've already established cases where things can get damaged without your knowledge despite your assertion to the contrary. But that isn't what I'm asking. Again, at what point does your responsibility begin? How long after your driving the car away should the dealer be responsible for scratches you "didn't notice"?

It's a very simple question, not sure why you're avoiding it.
Old 07-20-14, 10:10 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Since if the scratch came with the car is important in this matter it would be unreasonable to answer your questions without that info.

I have no expectation for them to repair/replace scratches that would be caused by me. But I can say with 100% certainty that scratch on the steering wheel trim didn't come from me or my wife who are the only two drivers in our home.
Old 07-20-14, 10:16 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Since if the scratch came with the car is important in this matter it would be unreasonable to answer your questions without that info.

I have no expectation for them to repair/replace scratches that would be caused by me. But I can say with 100% certainty that scratch on the steering wheel trim didn't come from me or my wife who are the only two drivers in our home.
No, you cannot. You don't know that it came with the car. You can't prove that it came with the car, you didn't even notice it when you got the car, so therefore, it is impossible to be 100% certain.

Scratch was very light & hard to see and I didn't even see it until two or three months after I took delivery
That, by it's very inference, means you cannot be 100% certain unless you have never even sat in the car since taking delivery, which we know isn't the case

I have ~3000 miles
The dealer is right, you're wrong. Did you get excellent service? No, did you get bad service? Absolutely not. Them addressing your complaints would be going above and beyond what they should be doing and it sets a bad precedence for them when it comes to customers like you.

There's a reason why no one here is agreeing with you, and it's not because we all work for Lexus.

Last edited by Ramon; 07-20-14 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-20-14, 10:17 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I mean...I see what you mean about the button but I wouldn't bother to do anything about that.

You have to see the dealers position about the scratch. You say why shouldn't they believe you, but why should they believe you? You also never addressed my hypothetical question about the door ding. If someone came up to you and said you dinged their door 3 months ago and they never got around to telling you...but could offer no proof...would you fix their door? Bear in mind this is a stranger...not a friend. Be honest.

As for the promised hour being an hour and 45 minutes...have you ever been to a dealership before? Ever been to a doctors office? I have literally never waited in a car at any dealership or mechanic that was ready when they said it would be lol.

You need to adjust your expectations
By the way if that was one of the button I seldom used perhaps I probably wouldn't care but that is the button I press the most because default is to be at longest radar distance and I like it shortest distance and to get to the shortest I have to press it 3 times everything I start the car. If Lexus had a personalization setting for that I wouldn't even need to press that button at all.
Old 07-20-14, 10:20 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

No, you cannot. You don't know that it came with the car. You can't prove that it came with the car, you didn't even notice it when you got the car, so therefore, it is impossible to be 100% certain.

That, by it's very inference, means you cannot be 100% certain unless you have never even sat in the car since taking delivery, which we know isn't the case

The dealer is right, you're wrong. Did you get excellent service? No, did you get bad service? Absolutely not. Them addressing your complaints would be going above and beyond what they should be doing and it sets a bad precedence for customers like you.
Any event that would cause plastic trim to be scratched would be definitely known by the driver. It would require some hard object to hit that part of the trim in particular angle to scratch but not dent. I or my wife would definitely know if that event happened.

How does dealer 100% be certain that that didn't come with the car or they caused the issue when they took my steering wheel off to install the LED fog lights and stalk?

I think most people are disagreeing because they think I'm making big deal out of minor issue but my complaint is more about dealer making an assumption and treating me like I'm lying about the scratch when in fact they can't say for sure it wasn't there when I got the car.

Last edited by SonyHome; 07-20-14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-20-14, 10:24 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Any event that would cause plastic trim to be scratched would be definitely known by the driver. It would require some hard object to hit that part of the trim in particular angle to scratch but not dent. I or my wife would definitely know if that event happened.

How does dealer 100% be certain that that didn't come with the car or they caused the issue when they took my steering wheel off to install the LED fog lights and stalk?
This is where your maning up to your own responsibilities comes in. If it came with the car, it should have been reported when you took delivery. You have an exceptionally high sense of entitlement and seemingly no sense of responsibility it seems. It's your car, it's you throwing the accusations around, its you that has the burden. Period.

Last edited by Ramon; 07-20-14 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-20-14, 10:26 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

This is where your manning up to your own responsibilities comes in. If it came with the car, it should have been reported when you took delivery. You have an exceptionally high sense of entitlement and seemingly no sense of responsibility it seems. It's your car, it's you throwing the accusations around, its you that has the burden. Period.
I don't want to keep repeating after myself but I assumed minor issues like this could be addressed at upcoming 6mo checkup. Why not? It doesn't impact any feature or drivability of the car. Also as you saw in the photo that minor scratch is very hard to see. Are you even reading my posts?
Old 07-20-14, 10:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Look, the bottom line is this. If you are going to claim someone damaged your car you need to bring it to their attention as soon as it happens. Ever valet parked a car? Ever read the little claim ticket? It says any damage claim has to be made before you drive away with the car, it's just reasonable, it's just common sense. Had you showed it to the dealer before you took delivery, or right after, it would be different. But, you waited several months and now it's too late. You're just going to have to deal with that.

Why not? Because after this length of time there's no way to prove that the damage was there originally. People try and get away with stuff like this all the time, the dealer is not going to replace an entire steering wheel for some admittedly nearly invisible mark when you've owned the vehicle for several months and are just as likely to have caused the damage yourself.
Old 07-20-14, 10:36 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I don't want to keep repeating after myself but I assumed minor issues like this could be addressed at upcoming 6mo checkup. Why not? It doesn't impact any feature or drivability of the car. Also as you saw in the photo that minor scratch is very hard to see. Are you even reading my posts?
I'm not sure why you're repeating yourself either since what you said changes nothing and has already been addressed.
Old 07-20-14, 10:39 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Look, the bottom line is this. If you are going to claim someone damaged your car you need to bring it to their attention as soon as it happens. Ever valet parked a car? Ever read the little claim ticket? It says any damage claim has to be made before you drive away with the car, it's just reasonable, it's just common sense. Had you showed it to the dealer before you took delivery, or right after, it would be different. But, you waited several months and now it's too late. You're just going to have to deal with that.

Why not? Because after this length of time there's no way to prove that the damage was there originally. People try and get away with stuff like this all the time, the dealer is not going to replace an entire steering wheel for some admittedly nearly invisible mark when you've owned the vehicle for several months and are just as likely to have caused the damage yourself.
Perhaps you are right but even then I don't think I saw this after 2 or 3 months after I got the car. By that time I probably only had 1500 miles on it and who's to say they wouldn't have said the same thing.

You analogy with valet is different and yes I would say that is common sense because valet is only in your car for 1 specific instance and that would be only time you could prove it. To say that owner has to find all defects within first week or first month seems unreasonable especially they have these 6mo checkups for things like this.

I'm moving on and will use another dealer in town.

Thank you.
Old 07-20-14, 10:41 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm moving on and will use another dealer in town.
Not to beat a dead horse, but you'll just be disappointed with two dealers instead of one.

If you find a dealer that's going to cover scratches for the duration of the warranty so long as you didn't notice them and cross your heart that it wasn't you that caused it, please to let us know which dealer that is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worst dealer service ever @ Maplewood Lexus in MN!