IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is350 f sport AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 12:08 AM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is350 f sport AWD

Hello everybody, in about 2 days I'm going to the dealership to buy a 2014 IS350 F Sport AWD, the dealer has the car I want, (Black, AWD, 1,000 miles, Mesh Front Grille, etc.). His asking price is 43k. I have a trade in, 2008 LS600hL. Edmunds told me my car was worth 36k. And I have enough to pay off the rest. Since I'm only 17 and inexperienced, I'm bringing my cousin who is a car salesman, so he will help me bargain down.

My main question is, are there any strategies specifically for this car that would help me bargain down atleast $1,500? Will walking in with cash and the trade in help?

Any and all information is appreciated, Ty.

Oh and where can I get some vinyl wrap?
Old 07-15-14, 12:30 AM
zabone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your cousin should know the ins and outs. My advice is to not mention how you're going to pay until the end of the negotiation. The dealer might assume that you're financing, which will give them extra earnings from the interest. That earning is lost when you pay in full.

The car has 1k miles? may I ask why? With that many miles, the car is not new! It can be a loaner they're selling or a demo car. use that to your advantage!
Old 07-15-14, 01:13 AM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zabone
your cousin should know the ins and outs. My advice is to not mention how you're going to pay until the end of the negotiation. The dealer might assume that you're financing, which will give them extra earnings from the interest. That earning is lost when you pay in full.

The car has 1k miles? may I ask why? With that many miles, the car is not new! It can be a loaner they're selling or a demo car. use that to your advantage!
Yeah I don't wanna be in debt so I'm paying of fully, and I'll mention the thing about the miles that should help with bringing the price down.
Old 07-15-14, 07:17 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car may be worth 36K but no way the dealer is going to offer that as they have to resell it. Think under 30K
Old 07-15-14, 08:16 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll get more selling it to a private buyer. Just get the invoice and say you'll pay $1k below it. It's possible since you'll have the cash in hand, I'm assuming. Remember the "take it or leave it" strategy I told you yesterday.
Old 07-15-14, 10:06 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is better as a young person to build credit history. Finance the car and make extra large payments if you hate the debt feeling. Being in debt is not a bad thing if you are responsible and do not go over your means. Learning about how the world works is most important thing in life
Old 07-15-14, 11:12 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by unowned
It is better as a young person to build credit history. Finance the car and make extra large payments if you hate the debt feeling. Being in debt is not a bad thing if you are responsible and do not go over your means. Learning about how the world works is most important thing in life
Also, if your credit is good - you can get a low APR, and then make more money by investing the amount you would have used to pay off the car.
Old 07-16-14, 04:48 PM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Great news! I went to the dealer with my trade in and cash in hand, since he wanted 43k he gave me 34.5k for my trade in and then we negotiated the price of the car down to 40.5k. So i gave him the rest in cash and the deal was set, they even gave me free floor mats with the car. Only thing that disappoints me is that the f-sport models don't come with ventilated seats. I remember having them for the first time in my dads first lexus (LS430) they were awesome, the ls600hL had em too. Other than that, im very satisfied, the car drives very well and tomorrow mt TRD spoiler, diffuser and air suspension kit are coming in the mail. Can't wait to put them on. I also plan to vinyl Wrap some of the chrome parts on the car, like around the front grille (it will be hard) and the rear reflectors (ugly IMO).
I may put up a new thread with pics of the car and upgrades.

Thanks again everyone your information was very helpful in my purchase.
Old 07-16-14, 05:08 PM
KS13
Driver

Originally Posted by Happyman
Great news! I went to the dealer with my trade in and cash in hand, since he wanted 43k he gave me 34.5k for my trade in and then we negotiated the price of the car down to 40.5k. So i gave him the rest in cash and the deal was set, they even gave me free floor mats with the car. Only thing that disappoints me is that the f-sport models don't come with ventilated seats. I remember having them for the first time in my dads first lexus (LS430) they were awesome, the ls600hL had em too. Other than that, im very satisfied, the car drives very well and tomorrow mt TRD spoiler, diffuser and air suspension kit are coming in the mail. Can't wait to put them on. I also plan to vinyl Wrap some of the chrome parts on the car, like around the front grille (it will be hard) and the rear reflectors (ugly IMO).

Congrats on the purchase.

If you don't mind me asking, what year was that LS600hL and how many miles?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-14, 05:41 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wait... $40,500 for a IS350 F SPort AWD???
Old 07-16-14, 05:43 PM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KS13
Congrats on the purchase.

If you don't mind me asking, what year was that LS600hL and how many miles?

Thanks.
it was a 2008 80k miles, it was my dad's he gave it to me as a gift for my first car, and he just bought a 2014 ls600hL two weeks ago.
Old 07-16-14, 05:47 PM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tea
wait... $40,500 for a IS350 F SPort AWD???
i had a professional negotiator with me, my cousin he is a car salesman, and i told the dealer that i had cash on me. i also confronted him about the 1k miles on it so that helped bring it down a little bit. and he did'nt give me as much as my trade in was worth. it was an amazing deal though
Old 07-16-14, 05:51 PM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zabone

Thanks btw for that 1k miles tip, saved me at least $500
Old 07-16-14, 06:26 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Happyman

Congrats! Enjoy it!
Old 07-16-14, 06:50 PM
vgsison
Driver School Candidate

Awesome deal you got there! Congratulations.