IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Silver Lining Metallic vs. Atomic Silver??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 03:16 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I can see the appeal on this color despite what appears to be a conservative "beige" - it's not. And even though pics don't give this color any justice, I went to a nearby Lexus dealer in the hope I'd see one in the flesh since it's been a while I haven't. Glad I did.The IS looked like it was carved from a solid chunk of titanium.
If these 2 pics are accurate representations of how Atomic Silver actually looks, I will be quite happy! It's the occasional beige tinged or tan-ish pictures which I'm less a fan of, but even those aren't terrible either, I suppose...

Thanks for sharing these pictures - I do like how the 18" F-Sport wheels complement Atomic Silver as well! Can't wait to get mine...
Old 07-18-14, 03:25 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by johng99
One thing to know about the Rioja Red seats, is that they're not the bright red that they look like in a lot of the photos online. They're actually a slightly darker red that looks really great. Especially against the Atomic Silver, I think.
Thank you!! I've been confused by all the various shades of red I've seen online for Rioja Red (even on Lexus' own website!) - the few times I've seen it in person, I remember liking it very much because it was a darker shade of red (like maroon) which made it look classier, as opposed to a gaudier lighter shade of red. In fact, I liked it so much in person, that I was very disappointed that I was unable to order the Rioja Red without F-Sport, and the 2014 F-Sport was not an option for me! However, the 2015 F-Sport is improved enough to be acceptable for me now, so I'll have my Rioja Red after all...
Old 07-18-14, 04:29 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by OrionLex
If these 2 pics are accurate representations of how Atomic Silver actually looks, I will be quite happy! It's the occasional beige tinged or tan-ish pictures which I'm less a fan of, but even those aren't terrible either, I suppose...

Thanks for sharing these pictures - I do like how the 18" F-Sport wheels complement Atomic Silver as well! Can't wait to get mine...
AS + Nebula Gray with the Liquid Graphite F-Sport wheels are a perfect match indeed!

Yes, the pics are an accurate representation on the color at that moment in time and angle. Let me explain. AS has such a mirror-like sheen and depth to the paint that it picks up and reflects colors from its surroundings more so than any other color I've seen. As such, this can be very appealing since it seems you never exactly have the same color, even while just walking around the car! It's incredible - you see the tones shifting, much like the paint is in motion, aka "molten metal". So, if parked on black asphalt with indirect sunlight (like the pics I posted), you will see more silvery gray tones in one angle, but as I walked towards the front of the car and got some sun hitting the corner, the paint tone was transitioning to more silvery beige tones, but never "golden beige" like this Sonata.

Repost for side-by-side comparison so one can see AS is not "beige". Note the middle section looks a little darker as it's picking up my USB IS and the asphalt while the rear is lighter picking up the background skyline.

Old 07-18-14, 06:48 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Orion, Congrats on ordering your car and if the salesman is adding things arbitrarily and not willing to negotiate price I would certainly call another dealer just to see. I thought blind spot monitoring was a common feature on the 3IS? I hope mine has it, I guess I need to pay closer attention to what comes on them.

Let me explain. AS has such a mirror-like sheen and depth to the paint that it picks up and reflects colors from its surroundings more so than any other color I've seen.
That was how I felt about the color but couldn't find the words to explain it, as if most of the color shifts you see are really just reflections of the surroundings and quality of the light.

Hurry Lexus, hurry and get my car here, wish I knew if it was on a boat in this direction or what but I don't want to keep emailing my sales woman and seem desperate, I still have to negotiate a price. I know I have been emailed a build sheet on past cars that shows the ship it is on and the vin, build date, etc. I really would like to have one for my car I just hate to ask.
Old 07-18-14, 10:42 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Well I just called to extend my lease and was told by the girl on the phone late September or October arrival for the 2015's. I really don't believe it will be that long especially since the dealers can already see their allocations.
Old 07-19-14, 03:16 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
AS + Nebula Gray with the Liquid Graphite F-Sport wheels are a perfect match indeed!

Yes, the pics are an accurate representation on the color at that moment in time and angle. Let me explain. AS has such a mirror-like sheen and depth to the paint that it picks up and reflects colors from its surroundings more so than any other color I've seen. As such, this can be very appealing since it seems you never exactly have the same color, even while just walking around the car! It's incredible - you see the tones shifting, much like the paint is in motion, aka "molten metal". So, if parked on black asphalt with indirect sunlight (like the pics I posted), you will see more silvery gray tones in one angle, but as I walked towards the front of the car and got some sun hitting the corner, the paint tone was transitioning to more silvery beige tones, but never "golden beige" like this Sonata.

Repost for side-by-side comparison so one can see AS is not "beige". Note the middle section looks a little darker as it's picking up my USB IS and the asphalt while the rear is lighter picking up the background skyline.

Thanks for the clarification corradoMR2 - that actually makes a lot of sense now, and explains why the beige/tan hue didn't seem to simply correlate directly with just bright sunlight! So I guess I'm gonna have to just keep a lot of black paint with me, to darken the ground and surrounding objects of wherever I park my car - haha!!
Old 07-19-14, 03:27 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by wednesday
Orion, Congrats on ordering your car and if the salesman is adding things arbitrarily and not willing to negotiate price I would certainly call another dealer just to see. I thought blind spot monitoring was a common feature on the 3IS? I hope mine has it, I guess I need to pay closer attention to what comes on them.

That was how I felt about the color but couldn't find the words to explain it, as if most of the color shifts you see are really just reflections of the surroundings and quality of the light.

Hurry Lexus, hurry and get my car here, wish I knew if it was on a boat in this direction or what but I don't want to keep emailing my sales woman and seem desperate, I still have to negotiate a price. I know I have been emailed a build sheet on past cars that shows the ship it is on and the vin, build date, etc. I really would like to have one for my car I just hate to ask.
Well I just called to extend my lease and was told by the girl on the phone late September or October arrival for the 2015's. I really don't believe it will be that long especially since the dealers can already see their allocations.
...yeah, I'm not too happy with how my car ordering experience has been going so far - I've been having a heckuva time getting either one of my salespeople on the phone to ask some simple questions (namely why my order has been screwed up already - they DIDN'T add BSM, which I am absolutely sure is compatible with F-Sport, and instead added on an expensive performance exhaust upgrade I didn't even ask for!) - they're either off that day, already left for the day, or never available because they're so busy (and I'm not naive enough to actually believe that any of them will actually return a voicemail!). I finally got a different salesperson on the phone who said he'd be taking over my order - he seems nice so far, but he didn't know anything about the 2015 changes yet, so we'll see how this goes...

I actually called 3 other dealerships in my area, and all 3 of them said they'd be willing to work with me on pricing and not charge straight up MSRP! One of them did mention that they're expecting to receive the new 2015 models starting in September - but to be honest, I think they're really just guessing, since I'm starting to believe that all Lexus dealerships are just clueless (my opinion of the corporation is seriously dropping, though I still like their actual cars)!
Old 07-19-14, 03:42 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OrionLex
...yeah, I'm not too happy with how my car ordering experience has been going so far - I've been having a heckuva time getting either one of my salespeople on the phone to ask some simple questions (namely why my order has been screwed up already - they DIDN'T add BSM, which I am absolutely sure is compatible with F-Sport, and instead added on an expensive performance exhaust upgrade I didn't even ask for!) - they're either off that day, already left for the day, or never available because they're so busy (and I'm not naive enough to actually believe that any of them will actually return a voicemail!). I finally got a different salesperson on the phone who said he'd be taking over my order - he seems nice so far, but he didn't know anything about the 2015 changes yet, so we'll see how this goes...

I actually called 3 other dealerships in my area, and all 3 of them said they'd be willing to work with me on pricing and not charge straight up MSRP! One of them did mention that they're expecting to receive the new 2015 models starting in September - but to be honest, I think they're really just guessing, since I'm starting to believe that all Lexus dealerships are just clueless (my opinion of the corporation is seriously dropping, though I still like their actual cars)!
Frustrating for sure, I always feel like I walk in knowing more than they do. I really doubt it will be September and I am hoping I am right about that. Good luck with the negotiations!
Old 07-22-14, 10:58 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Frustrating for sure, I always feel like I walk in knowing more than they do. I really doubt it will be September and I am hoping I am right about that. Good luck with the negotiations!
Totally agree. They have no idea.
I walked into a supposedly a "1st class experience" dealership in OC, and came out disappointed as heck.
The way he addressed me was like he had better things to do other than talking to me. (I made an appointment ahead of time)
The sales person didn't know anything about the 2015 IS, and he was surprised that I brought up many issues about the 2014 model.
At the end, I tried being polite and just walked out. This guy didn't even stand up for a handshake to say goodbye.
VERY disappointed. I'll never go back there for sales inquiries.

Anyway, did your dealership give you an approximate cost for the IS?
Mine told me there is no pricing available yet.
Old 07-23-14, 06:37 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
Totally agree. They have no idea.
I walked into a supposedly a "1st class experience" dealership in OC, and came out disappointed as heck.
The way he addressed me was like he had better things to do other than talking to me. (I made an appointment ahead of time)
The sales person didn't know anything about the 2015 IS, and he was surprised that I brought up many issues about the 2014 model.
At the end, I tried being polite and just walked out. This guy didn't even stand up for a handshake to say goodbye.
VERY disappointed. I'll never go back there for sales inquiries.

Anyway, did your dealership give you an approximate cost for the IS?
Mine told me there is no pricing available yet.
I can't stand to be treated like I am not worth their time I will walk right out of a dealership if they pull that attitude!

Mine knew some about it but not the pricing, but we know it is increasing by $450 or something like that. This will be my 4th car from this dealer so I expect they will negotiate with me for a decent price despite it being a 2015, if not I will call another dealer or extend my lease and wait.

I want to email my saleswoman and ask her to let me know when they get the vin numbers and build sheets for the 15's, I think they get those before inventory starts arriving and I would like to be able to track the ship. The only thing holding me back from asking is I don't want to sound too eager.

Oh I found a video that shows some moving shots of Atomic silver. It is in French.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3yz8XQQ1M#t=11

Last edited by wednesday; 07-23-14 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 12:31 PM
NickD82
Driver School Candidate

Just took delivery yesterday. A bit of a cloudy day here, but I think this shot shows the color variation on atomic silver quite well. It's something you really have to see in person.
Old 07-23-14, 01:30 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickD82

Just took delivery yesterday. A bit of a cloudy day here, but I think this shot shows the color variation on atomic silver quite well. It's something you really have to see in person.
Congrats! Beautiful car, post more pics if you get a chance
Old 07-23-14, 05:07 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

My salesperson just told me that there is no Atomic Silver & Rioja Red combination available........
WTH!?
Old 07-23-14, 05:10 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
My salesperson just told me that there is no Atomic Silver & Rioja Red combination available........
WTH!?
Um mine confirmed it, I hope she was right. Is this the same jerk that was blowing you off?

Maybe Orionlex can chime in since he has already placed an order.
Old 07-23-14, 05:12 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Um mine confirmed it, I hope she was right. Is this the same jerk that was blowing you off?

Maybe Orionlex can chime in since he has already placed an order.
No... this is the nice guy whom I've been talking to since the 2014 IS came out....
Weird...

Please tell me he's wrong and your saleswoman is right.... lol

Quick Reply: Silver Lining Metallic vs. Atomic Silver??