IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Silver Lining Metallic vs. Atomic Silver??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 08:42 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
My dealer was willing to pull the one they had out of the showroom for me to see in the sun. Here are the pics I took (non F Sport of course.) Also attaching the ones I took in the showroom. I think it looks a lot like the nickel finished hardware for a house, the best way I can describe it. I didn't see a lot of the beige tones in it the day I looked, I realize it does have a tendency to have beige tones but I feel like the silver gray tones are dominant.

Thanks for the pics! So these are a perfect example of why I'm so undecided on this color - your first 2 pics look terrific, but the 3rd pic looks more tan colored which I'm not as much a fan of. I think I'm realizing that Atomic Silver looks incredible when it's super shiny (such as in your 2nd picture!) because it really does look like "liquid metal" then - I just wonder what it looks like when less shiny and more drab (due to dust, etc.). But that liquid metal effect - awesome...
Old 07-10-14, 08:50 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's funny I hate beige/gold cars but the way AS looks in the 3rd pic is why I really like the color, I can't really put my finger on why but to me it doesn't look old or ugly it just looks amazing.
Old 07-10-14, 09:01 AM
OrionLex
Driver

They are suppose to just allocate a car for me, I am getting a 250 f sport with nav and no other extra options so I shouldn't need to special order. When did you find out about the allocations? Did they have any clue to when they would be hitting the ground? I need to email my salesperson.
In that case, hopefully your dealer is able to hold one for you from the first batch then! At the dealership I went to, they're getting 10 of the Atomic Silver/Rioja Red IS250 AWD F-Sports with navigation and blind spot monitor, so if your dealer is similar they should get several in as well. In fact, Atomic Silver is actually 21% of all the IS250 AWD's they'll be getting from this production month (which is behind only Obsidian at 23%), so Lexus is obviously expecting Atomic Silver to be a very popular color!

I visited the dealer 2 days ago, but I have no idea how long they've known about their allocations for this month. I wasn't given a definitive answer, but they seem to think they'll be receiving the cars that are being built now sometime in September(?). Let us know if you find anything out from your salesperson...
Old 07-10-14, 09:16 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OrionLex
In that case, hopefully your dealer is able to hold one for you from the first batch then! At the dealership I went to, they're getting 10 of the Atomic Silver/Rioja Red IS250 AWD F-Sports with navigation and blind spot monitor, so if your dealer is similar they should get several in as well. In fact, Atomic Silver is actually 21% of all the IS250 AWD's they'll be getting from this production month (which is behind only Obsidian at 23%), so Lexus is obviously expecting Atomic Silver to be a very popular color!

I visited the dealer 2 days ago, but I have no idea how long they've known about their allocations for this month. I wasn't given a definitive answer, but they seem to think they'll be receiving the cars that are being built now sometime in September(?). Let us know if you find anything out from your salesperson...
I am really hoping it is before September, I will have to extend my lease if that's the case. I'll let you know if I find out anything further. I am glad to see it is official that AS is coming to the F Sport but wish it would be a rarer color, going to hate to turn in my USB which I have never seen another one like on the road in my 3 years of ownership.
Old 07-10-14, 09:26 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by bucanero
Atomic Silver IS the best looking color imho. I totally would have gone with that color BUT it wasn't available for F-Sport. I think only White, Black, Silver (non Atomic), Red and Gray are color options for FSports. In addition I THINK the red interior is only available for FSport as well, making the combination of Atomic Silver and Red interior not possible from dealer. My favorite interior color is the Flaxen color, the "looks like leather" color. Again, this color option is not available for FSport. I went with Silver Metallic with Light Gray interior for my FSport. I love it a lot. It just screams cleanliness when you open the doors. Has a nice transition from exterior to interior where some like contrast, I prefer subtle change. I think the Atomic Silver with Flaxen interior would have been subtle too, I just would have like that to have been an option for FSports.
2015 MY is supposed to be getting Atomic/rioja for the F sport.
What she said.

Atomic Silver is new for F-Sport in 2015 - see page 4 here: http://toyotanewsroom.com/releases/2...duct+specs.htm

Interior color options are now black, stratus gray, parchment, and flaxen (and for F-Sport: black, stratus gray, and rioja red) - see page 5. You still can't get flaxen or parchment for F-Sport, and stratus gray replaces light gray (have no idea what "stratus gray" looks like yet).

Last edited by OrionLex; 07-10-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-10-14, 09:39 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by skip000
I ordered it in January...and had to wait 6 months to get it....all because I wanted the Cold Weather Package and ML Sound System...but didn't mind the wait..since I still loved my outgoing Lexus...interior colors....didn't like Flaxen with this Atomic Silver...didn't like the light grey interior either...not with Atomic...So that only left Black
Holy crap!! I hope I don't have to wait 6 months for my custom build - I don't have an outgoing Lexus like you did, so I guess I'm a little more anxious & excited to get my first one! I'm being told about 3 months ETA, so any particular reason why yours took twice as long??
Old 07-10-14, 12:42 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

I emailed my saleswoman and they can see the allocations and she has one out of the first shipment marked for me. No other info available yet.
Old 07-10-14, 04:04 PM
vgsison
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer was willing to pull the one they had out of the showroom for me to see in the sun. Here are the pics I took (non F Sport of course.) Also attaching the ones I took in the showroom. I think it looks a lot like the nickel finished hardware for a house, the best way I can describe it. I didn't see a lot of the beige tones in it the day I looked, I realize it does have a tendency to have beige tones but I feel like the silver gray tones are dominant.

Atomic silver stands out for me!
Old 07-10-14, 04:31 PM
OrionLex
Driver

I am really hoping it is before September, I will have to extend my lease if that's the case. I'll let you know if I find out anything further. I am glad to see it is official that AS is coming to the F Sport but wish it would be a rarer color, going to hate to turn in my USB which I have never seen another one like on the road in my 3 years of ownership.
I emailed my saleswoman and they can see the allocations and she has one out of the first shipment marked for me. No other info available yet.
Nice! Hopefully that means you'll have one shortly - keep us posted...

Yeah, Atomic Silver F-Sports are "rare" in the U.S. for now since they don't actually exist yet! But once 2015's hit the market, it looks like they'll become one of the most popular colors right away. Have you considered just having your car painted whatever color you want, whether it be blue, pink, polka dot, etc.? That'll guarantee you have a unique car! I've seen pictures of somebody's IS painted yellow on these forums that looks pretty damn sweet...
Old 07-10-14, 04:47 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Atomic Silver F-Sports are "rare" in the U.S. for now since they don't actually exist yet! But once 2015's hit the market, it looks like they'll become one of the most popular colors right away.
I vote for Atomic Silver.. that being said, did they happen to mention when the 2015's are gonna hit our shores?
Old 07-10-14, 05:43 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Nice! Hopefully that means you'll have one shortly - keep us posted...

Yeah, Atomic Silver F-Sports are "rare" in the U.S. for now since they don't actually exist yet! But once 2015's hit the market, it looks like they'll become one of the most popular colors right away. Have you considered just having your car painted whatever color you want, whether it be blue, pink, polka dot, etc.? That'll guarantee you have a unique car! I've seen pictures of somebody's IS painted yellow on these forums that looks pretty damn sweet...
I'm too picky for an aftermarket paint job, I would see all the flaws, plus I lease. Thought about a MRM but just can't get excited about it.
Old 07-10-14, 07:42 PM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

Holy crap!! I hope I don't have to wait 6 months for my custom build - I don't have an outgoing Lexus like you did, so I guess I'm a little more anxious & excited to get my first one! I'm being told about 3 months ETA, so any particular reason why yours took twice as long??
The dealer told me that was NORMAL TIME, they had never had a custom order come in earlier than 5 months
Old 07-10-14, 10:01 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I vote for Atomic Silver.. that being said, did they happen to mention when the 2015's are gonna hit our shores?
Thanks, I'm leaning towards the Atomic Silver now (even though it looks a little gold-ish at times) - I think it'll be a nice subtle change from the plain light silver I've had on my last couple cars. Plus that "liquid metal" effect is pretty mesmerizing when it shows up!

I don't think anyone knows definitely when the 2015's will hit the showrooms yet, but the dealership I visited was guesstimating that the current July production builds (which are 2015 models) would be arriving sometime in September(?)...
Old 07-10-14, 10:03 PM
OrionLex
Driver

I'm too picky for an aftermarket paint job, I would see all the flaws, plus I lease. Thought about a MRM but just can't get excited about it.
I don't have any experience with aftermarket paint jobs - are they typically not that great or something? And even if you lease, are you not allowed to paint your car? (sorry for being ignorant - I've never leased a car either!)
Old 07-10-14, 10:07 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by skip000
The dealer told me that was NORMAL TIME, they had never had a custom order come in earlier than 5 months
I wonder if some dealerships have priority over others, though this wouldn't seem fair to me. Out of 4 dealerships I've visited, all of them have quoted me 3-4 months for custom builds (the one I ended up placing my order at said 90 days), which is a bit shorter than 5 or 6 months! I hope your car was worth the wait though...

Quick Reply: Silver Lining Metallic vs. Atomic Silver??