IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Just ordered a 2015 IS 350 AWD - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 08:24 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
Well there sort of is, you can opt for the standard integrated spoiler or the add-on. If there's not already, I'm sure there will be an aftermarket selection of hugely tacky, "look at me! I'm Supa-Ghetto" options for those who want to maximize how much attention they get on the road (at the expense of ridicule from those with actual taste of course)
Is "integrated spoiler" common nomenclature for trunk lids which are sculpted into a little bit of a corner (I'm sincerely asking 'cuz I don't know)? I always thought that spoilers were separate pieces "bolted" on (which you apparently love so much!)...

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here, since taste is subjective - what you consider a "near perfect butt", I find plain, naked, and boring. And while I find the 2015 U.S. spoiler option to be sporty and complimentary, you think it's "tacky" and "ghetto". I'm not actually going for ghetto at all (not my style) - I just think the spoiler makes the car a little bit more edgy and interesting, without being overly-obtrusive, and I like it. It's ok for us to have different tastes - in fact, I've found that the 3IS seems to be a very polarizing car in general. Most of my friends think the 3IS is quite ugly, whereas I happen to love how aggressive it looks! So to each their own...
Old 08-06-14, 08:29 AM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OrionLex
Is "integrated spoiler" common nomenclature for trunk lids which are sculpted into a little bit of a corner (I'm sincerely asking 'cuz I don't know)? I always thought that spoilers were separate pieces "bolted" on (which you apparently love so much!)... I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here, since taste is subjective - what you consider a "near perfect butt", I find plain, naked, and boring. And while I find the 2015 U.S. spoiler option to be sporty and complimentary, you think it's "tacky" and "ghetto". I'm not actually going for ghetto at all (not my style) - I just think the spoiler makes the car a little bit more edgy and interesting, without being overly-obtrusive, and I like it. It's ok for us to have different tastes - in fact, I've found that the 3IS seems to be a very polarizing car in general. Most of my friends think the 3IS is quite ugly, whereas I happen to love how aggressive it looks! So to each their own...
check pm lol
Old 08-06-14, 09:07 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is "integrated spoiler" common nomenclature for trunk lids which are sculpted into a little bit of a corner (I'm sincerely asking 'cuz I don't know)? I always thought that spoilers were separate pieces "bolted" on (which you apparently love so much!)...
"integrated spoiler" is just the nomenclature Lexus uses to describe the upturned back-end of the car without modification in their marketing literature, integrated meaning it's part of the car lines. A spoiler is just an aerodynamic modification, the name does not imply added on or not. In theory once a car manufacturer releases a model with given drag co-efficient, you could actually change the tested aerodynamics for the worse by modifying it (not that this is the reason folks would add a spoiler on, they usually do it for cosmetic reasons only without worrying about drag force and such.)

As you said, subjective opinions are what they are but I think the integrated lines of the 3IS are what make it beautiful, and if things are added onto it (whether that's spoilers, door guards, etc) it starts to lose that natural flow of the lines (non-subjective), and in my opinion (subjective) starts looking like a gerry-rigged project car. It wouldn't be so bad if throwing tacky spoilers and bolt-on body parts wasn't the first thing people do whenever they want to take a POS two thousand dollar car and make it look more sporty or aggressive, but that's what some people do. Personally I think those people are reaching out trying to capture lost attention they were denied as a small child, but they probably are oblivious to how many people laugh at them as they drive down the street with their subwoofers blasting and their cheap sounding noisy exhaust disturbing the peace, not realizing there is a big difference between positive and negative attention
Old 09-01-14, 03:25 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Series: IS
Year: 2015
Model: 9516 (this means IS350 AWD; an IS250 AWD is 9506, and the RWD's are 9502 and 9510)
Exterior: 01J7 - Atomic Silver
Interior: 30 (Rioja Red)

Factory Accessories:
FJ - F SPORT Package
VN - Navigation System / Mark Levinson Premium Audio
BD - Blind Spot Monitor w/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert
PS - Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with Pre-Collision
HM - Power Rear Sunshade

Post Production Options:
G4 - Illuminated Door Sills
LR - Rear Lip Spoiler
D5 - Door Edge Guards
Z2 - Trunk Mat, Cargo Net, Whl Locks, Rear Bumper App
2Q - All Weather Floor Mats
Quick question for those of you in the know or have experience with custom orders - my car build was originally submitted on July 21st (as listed above, but without the G4). About two weeks later, I called my dealer to add on the "Illuminated Door Sills" and he noticed that my order was "locked", but he said that he'd still be able to add it on later because G4 is a PPO option and not a Factory one. But because my order was "locked", he mentioned that my car may actually be just 4-6 more weeks away (even though it had only been 2 weeks since my order was placed) - is there any way that's possible?!?

He said that they quote everybody 90 days for a custom build (some dealerships even quote 3-4 months!) because it's better to under-promise and over-deliver (as opposed to quoting short time frames and risk having customers be disappointed), which makes total sense. But has anybody actually ever received a custom build car in just 6-8 weeks?! I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up too high ('cuz today is exactly 6 weeks!), but seeing all these pictures of everybody else's cars is driving me crazy...!!!
Old 09-01-14, 09:28 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ I had an order form processed in July as well...

Car arrived in So Cal by 3rd - 4th week of September

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-01-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-01-14, 06:22 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ I had an order form processed in July as well...

Car arrived in So Cal by 3rd - 4th week of September

Joe Z
Aww man, now you've gone ahead and got my hopes up!

Do you remember when in July your order was placed? And was this for a 2014 3IS purchased last year?
Old 09-10-14, 02:39 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any more of an update on your custom build?
I placed an identical order to yours besides the spoiler, color, and no AWD on August 22.
I was told 3-4 months as well.
Old 09-10-14, 08:29 PM
myonoshane
Driver School Candidate

I've watched a few American video reviews on Youtube and most of them think that the 3IS is quite ugly. My friends here in Australia however love how the car looks. I guess different markets have different tastes, just like how everyone in Japan loves boxy cars haha.

Personally, I prefer my IS to be sporty and clean. I dont think ill be adding a spoiler on my car because they make my car look riced up
Old 11-15-14, 09:38 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick question for those of you in the know or have experience with custom orders - my car build was originally submitted on July 21st (as listed above, but without the G4). About two weeks later, I called my dealer to add on the "Illuminated Door Sills" and he noticed that my order was "locked", but he said that he'd still be able to add it on later because G4 is a PPO option and not a Factory one. But because my order was "locked", he mentioned that my car may actually be just 4-6 more weeks away (even though it had only been 2 weeks since my order was placed) - is there any way that's possible?!?

He said that they quote everybody 90 days for a custom build (some dealerships even quote 3-4 months!) because it's better to under-promise and over-deliver (as opposed to quoting short time frames and risk having customers be disappointed), which makes total sense. But has anybody actually ever received a custom build car in just 6-8 weeks?! I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up too high ('cuz today is exactly 6 weeks!), but seeing all these pictures of everybody else's cars is driving me crazy...!!!
Did you get your car? How long did it end up taking?
Old 11-24-14, 09:27 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by Jake
Any more of an update on your custom build?
I placed an identical order to yours besides the spoiler, color, and no AWD on August 22.
I was told 3-4 months as well.
Originally Posted by NewSpace
Did you get your car? How long did it end up taking?
My special order was submitted July 21st and they quoted me 3-4 months, which ended up being accurate as I got my vehicle at 13 weeks (although I was told that my car was "approximately four (4) weeks away" three different times, in August, September, and October for some reason!)

Despite my best efforts at providing the dealer with a clearly delineated list of my desired build options (I even had them print out my order from their computer system!), my car came with 2 options missing (door edge guards, rear lip spoiler), so the dealer installed the options themselves and did a **** poor job of it - I still have to take my car back to have the spoiler fixed when I have time: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-terribly.html

Otherwise, I love the car - still learning all the little things about it. I'm planning on posting my own version of a mini-review once I compile a list of all the pros and cons that I've noticed. Almost at 1,000 miles - can't wait til I'm past the break-in period so that I can drive it more aggressively!!
Old 11-24-14, 09:41 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My special order was submitted July 21st and they quoted me 3-4 months, which ended up being accurate as I got my vehicle at 13 weeks (although I was told that my car was "approximately four (4) weeks away" three different times, in August, September, and October for some reason!)

Despite my best efforts at providing the dealer with a clearly delineated list of my desired build options (I even had them print out my order from their computer system!), my car came with 2 options missing (door edge guards, rear lip spoiler), so the dealer installed the options themselves and did a **** poor job of it - I still have to take my car back to have the spoiler fixed when I have time: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-terribly.html

Otherwise, I love the car - still learning all the little things about it. I'm planning on posting my own version of a mini-review once I compile a list of all the pros and cons that I've noticed. Almost at 1,000 miles - can't wait til I'm past the break-in period so that I can drive it more aggressively!!
Isn't the break in period due at around 620 miles? It says 621 in the manuel, but I keep hearing people say 1000.
Old 11-26-14, 01:54 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
Isn't the break in period due at around 620 miles? It says 621 in the manuel, but I keep hearing people say 1000.
You're totally right! I just checked in the manual and it says this:

"Breaking in your new Lexus
To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

- For the first 186 miles (300km):
Avoid sudden stops.

- For the first 621 miles (1000km):
Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
Avoid sudden acceleration.
Do not drive continuously in low gears.
Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods."

...not sure where I got 1000 miles from (must've heard it somewhere and it just stuck in my mind), but it's apparently supposed to be 1000 KILOMETERS instead - damnit, I could've been having more fun earlier on!

So does somebody more knowledgable out there know the rationale for these guidelines during a "break-in period" anyway??