IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

15K, 25K, 35K etc - is that really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-14, 11:17 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
you're right on the oil changes being tied to the 10s not the x5s. apologies. that said, the rest of the work performed or expected to be performed at the x5 intervals, sans oil changes, is important and lexus can totally deny coverage should they feel there is just cause. and if your car isn't completely stock, as bucanero pointed out, lexus will find a way to link anything gone wrong to any aftermarket part tangentially related, no matter how distant the tangent.
You probably misunderstood the entire point that I wanted make here on this thread.

Lets break it down and make a better sense out of it. When we talk about the warranty being voided it is imperative to note that burden of proof is on Lexus to demonstrate that the lack required maintenance, which in this instance is 15K, 25K, 35K intervals, was the cause of any subject malfunction. Now please take a look at those x5 miles interval services once again and think if there is any maintenance per se going on. How can an inspection be called a maintenance? Inspection is a part the maintenance (which includes oil, filter changes etc) but never by itself. In other words Lexus legally would not be able to proof that the lack of x5k maintenance was the cause.

Now if you ask for my opinion I think Lexus is playing safe here and being conservative for whatever reason it may be. Perhaps excessive lawsuits against them with respect to the stuck floor mats to gas pedal and/or simply Lexus wants to catch the potential problem earlier thereby reducing the cost of repair or simply giving Lexus dealerships an opportunity to earn more money. From purely mechanical standpoint I believe those x5K intervals are absolutely not necessary to follow, period. Precisely for this reason I recently cancelled my maintenance plan. My plan is to buy genuine Toyota maintenance parts from Sewell and have my certified mechanic perform the 20K, 30K, 40K etc. services.
Old 07-03-14, 12:12 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
You probably misunderstood the entire point that I wanted make here on this thread.

Lets break it down and make a better sense out of it. When we talk about the warranty being voided it is imperative to note that burden of proof is on Lexus to demonstrate that the lack required maintenance, which in this instance is 15K, 25K, 35K intervals, was the cause of any subject malfunction. Now please take a look at those x5 miles interval services once again and think if there is any maintenance per se going on. How can an inspection be called a maintenance? Inspection is a part the maintenance (which includes oil, filter changes etc) but never by itself. In other words Lexus legally would not be able to proof that the lack of x5k maintenance was the cause.

Now if you ask for my opinion I think Lexus is playing safe here and being conservative for whatever reason it may be. Perhaps excessive lawsuits against them with respect to the stuck floor mats to gas pedal and/or simply Lexus wants to catch the potential problem earlier thereby reducing the cost of repair or simply giving Lexus dealerships an opportunity to earn more money. From purely mechanical standpoint I believe those x5K intervals are absolutely not necessary to follow, period. Precisely for this reason I recently cancelled my maintenance plan. My plan is to buy genuine Toyota maintenance parts from Sewell and have my certified mechanic perform the 20K, 30K, 40K etc. services.
i didn't misunderstand, although i'll again state what has been stated before.

the requisite amount of maintenance needed in order to ensure that the vehicle runs safely and effectively is the responsibility of lexus. the burden of proof lies with the owner in satisfying said requisite amount of maintenance.

if one looks at the x5 maintenance schedule intervals, there are some imperative mechanically-based facets woven in, e.g., lubricate the drive shaft. there are also the inspections of the various components as well as the checking and adjusting of fluids. if you feel as though you are competent to perform such tasks then surely go at it. if you feel that your local mechanic is better apt (read: less expensive) to perform the x5 maintenance intervals (or the x0 maintenance intervals, rather,) all is well there, too. i would ensure that all is done, though, so as to avoid voiding the warranty based on a trivial claim made by lexus and trivial claims made by both lexus dealerships and lexus corporate aren't unheard of.

i err on the side of caution when it comes to the vehicle as i had to use the warranty extensively with my previous lexus.
Old 07-03-14, 12:29 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Check installation of driver's floor mat always kills me. All those accidents were shown to be driver error.
Old 07-03-14, 12:39 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i didn't misunderstand, although i'll again state what has been stated before.

the requisite amount of maintenance needed in order to ensure that the vehicle runs safely and effectively is the responsibility of lexus. the burden of proof lies with the owner in satisfying said requisite amount of maintenance.

if one looks at the x5 maintenance schedule intervals, there are some imperative mechanically-based facets woven in, e.g., lubricate the drive shaft. there are also the inspections of the various components as well as the checking and adjusting of fluids. if you feel as though you are competent to perform such tasks then surely go at it. if you feel that your local mechanic is better apt (read: less expensive) to perform the x5 maintenance intervals (or the x0 maintenance intervals, rather,) all is well there, too. i would ensure that all is done, though, so as to avoid voiding the warranty based on a trivial claim made by lexus and trivial claims made by both lexus dealerships and lexus corporate aren't unheard of.

i err on the side of caution when it comes to the vehicle as i had to use the warranty extensively with my previous lexus.
So you are saying if i dont lubricate driveshafts at 15K but rather have them do it at 20K i would run a risk of my warranty being voided? Again inspection is not a maintenance. I guess i am done here. Thanks
Old 07-03-14, 01:42 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

you're very welcome.
Old 07-03-14, 01:53 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

These maintenance intervals are like PMCS checks in the Army. Preventative maintenance checks and services. If you go to an honest service dept *ahem* I mean if you get an honest tech, he/she will spot stuff during those checks and hopefully spot potential issues before they become problems. It also helps the resale value of the car if u keep all your service records.
Old 07-03-14, 02:12 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nabbun
If you go to an honest service dept *ahem* I mean if you get an honest tech, he/she will spot stuff during those checks and hopefully spot potential issues before they become problems.
That is the key point here if honestly checked. In reality I suspect those techs don't even bother to do the basic walkarround they simply check all the boxes. Also I believe all auto manufacturers instruct (Lexus including) their respective dealers to not bring up the issue (in case there is any) unless the owner specifically complains about it. I have yet to see that the dealers be proactive with respect to any mechanical issues while the car is still covered under manufacturer's warranty.
Old 07-03-14, 02:39 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nabbun
These maintenance intervals are like PMCS checks in the Army. Preventative maintenance checks and services. If you go to an honest service dept *ahem* I mean if you get an honest tech, he/she will spot stuff during those checks and hopefully spot potential issues before they become problems. It also helps the resale value of the car if u keep all your service records.
very much agreed. an established rapport with your dealership's service crew and/or service advisor really helps. it also helps if you are a repeat customer at said dealership.
Old 07-03-14, 10:46 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hermes, I totally agree with the notion that a responsible owner of a $50K should follow maintenance schedule properly to increase the longevity of the car but the actual question is do these intervals in fact prolong the lifespan of our 3ISs? Let talk about the details here.

Very valid point, I didn't know what was exactly involved in those particular services. I never really look into what is being serviced until a few weeks prior to the actual service, but thank you for putting all that together, I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
To be honest you should really check those items at around 30-35K some may say 60K, the other intervals are really not needed its just a way to waste your money, those items you can check yourself as well as some you can do on your own.
Do you know how much they charge for these services? I know that a lot of the stuff mentioned in the services don't really need to be checked, but I feel they should just for safety. I know that with my previous car (a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe), it came with bad brakes and they usually needed to be replaced at 30,000KM (which is absolutely ridiculous!). Seeing as our cars are the first in their lineup, I personally would feel a lot better about getting everything checked out just in case. I know brakes shouldn't really need to be changed until about 60k km, but no one really seems to know much about how long our friction brakes would last. better to be safe than sorry.
Old 07-04-14, 01:02 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok as many say the devil is in details. Lets glance quickly at what is done on these minor intervals:

15K Service
Factory Recommended
Replace smart key battery
Lubricate drive shaft, re-torque nuts and bolts
Reset maintenance reminder light
Road test vehicle
Check installation of driver's floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect wiper blades
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors

25K Service
Factory Recommended
Road test vehicle
Inspect wiper blades
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotor

35K Service
Factory Recommended
Road test vehicle
Inspect wiper blades
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors

and it is the same thing over and over again

The only items that they do is lubricate draft shafts and re torque nuts and bolts everything else is just an inspection, which I have a hard time believing that they actually do inspect the listed items carefully.

Hermes, I totally agree with the notion that a responsible owner of a $50K should follow maintenance schedule properly to increase the longevity of the car but the actual question is do these intervals in fact prolong the lifespan of our 3ISs? Let talk about the details here.
LOLLLLL
Visual check!?!?
Floor mat check!?!?
Those will affect my warranty???
They just INSPECT.
I don't see how inspect will affect my warranty.
You will be surprise how those lot boys/ mechanics rip their customers' cars on the street.
A friend of mine who worked at Subaru dealer got banned for road testing STi's because he was reported for taking a "spirited drive" with another mechanic with another STi.