IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bird Droppings

Old 07-02-14, 12:22 PM
ras1325
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird Droppings

I've got an Obsidian IS350. Is anyone else finding that bird droppings are quickly etching into (what I assume is) the clear coat?

I had a few in the first few months of owning that etched before I could remove them. Today I found one that couldn't have been more than 2 hours old that had already eaten into the clear coat by the time I got it off. I tried, unsucessfully, to fix the first few, but at this point I don't even bother because it just seems to cause more damage.

I've never had this bad of a problem with other black cars, including other Lexus. It's annoying and seemingly impossible to prevent anymore.
Old 07-02-14, 12:41 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

This actually happened to me today. I got bombed at a red light. By the time I got home one hour later and cleaned it off, it had etched the clear coat. Mine's Nebula.
Old 07-02-14, 01:02 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

yea I have noticed that also, I cannot figure out how to get rid of that mark now that the bird poo left
Old 07-02-14, 01:03 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doodlebug
This actually happened to me today. I got bombed at a red light. By the time I got home one hour later and cleaned it off, it had etched the clear coat. Mine's Nebula.
Same here, NGP too.
Old 07-02-14, 01:32 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a nebula as well and always wipe off the droppings when I get home. Luckily, haven't seen any discoloring
Old 07-02-14, 01:55 PM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

I'm very OCD when it comes to keeping my ride clean especially free from bird poo ......... EEWWWWWW !

I keep a microfiber towel and a bottle of a Detailer where I can easily grab it and wipe off the poo
Old 07-02-14, 02:14 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SexyElaine
I'm very OCD when it comes to keeping my ride clean especially free from bird poo ......... EEWWWWWW !

I keep a microfiber towel and a bottle of a Detailer where I can easily grab it and wipe off the poo
Me too, but just in the short while I was parked, found the mess and cleaned it off I had a spot that did not clean off.
Old 07-02-14, 03:06 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I find it patently unjust that birds can **** without landing first.
Old 07-02-14, 05:03 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

I use SONAX polymer net shield and Adams buttery wax, and I have not yet had one bird dropping or bee pollen spots etch into my clear on my 2 pearl white cars (knock on wood). Lexus paint softness is horrible though, and my Nissan Z's paint is just as bad.
Old 07-02-14, 05:05 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

well once the stain has etched, what can we use? do we need to do a wax job or its done?
Old 07-02-14, 05:17 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

You can try ScratchX 2.0 or Scratch Out to get rid of it. With about 3 applications, it should get rid of the milky look of the etching, but it will not get rid of the edges (outline) of the etching if deep. I have used Meguiars Ultimate Polish orvUltimate Compound (by hand) to get out deeper etches. Use an quality applicator sponge instead of a microfiber pad, as the sponge is more aggressive. Do not put too much pressure when using aggressive liquids though. Wash, clay, then use the products. Clean again, then seal or wax after. If all else fails, a good reputable detailer can wet sand it out for you.
Old 07-02-14, 07:34 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

The Name of the game is protection. Nothing short of true paint correction is going to remove your issue. This happened to me since I took delivery in Nov in Md. It snows and salty here too. So, a full detail wass in order

Wash ( with optimum no rinse wash ), clay, compound, glaze, seal ( best protection ), wax, spray wax ( detail spray to remove excess). Personally, I wax my car one a week / once every two weeks. It's my yoga if you will.

The more barriers of protection you add the better. Opti seal, Wolfgang dual gloss paint sealant, opti coat, etc. all good products. Who ever mentioned sonex, and Adams, again great products. As well, I use chemical guys v7 for shine. Yet, again is a spray sealant for more added protection. Since the paint is soft, also very high quality microfiber is best to use.

Black paint brings out OCD in all of us. Guilty as charged
Old 07-02-14, 09:09 PM
NebulaIS
Rookie

I have NGP and bird droppings seem to be attracted to my car like crazy. Just tonite I picked up a package of these Autoglym bird dropping wipes to keep in the glove box* for the next time I get bombed.

*of course we all know there isn't enough room in the 3IS glove box for anything practical so I'll actually keep them in the trunk
Attached Thumbnails Bird Droppings-screen-shot-2014-07-02-at-10.05.38-pm.png  
Old 07-02-14, 11:32 PM
JoeXus1
Rookie

One day im going to rent a plane and return the favor on these birds to show them how we feel. Lol
Old 07-03-14, 06:15 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ras1325
I've got an Obsidian IS350. Is anyone else finding that bird droppings are quickly etching into (what I assume is) the clear coat?

I had a few in the first few months of owning that etched before I could remove them. Today I found one that couldn't have been more than 2 hours old that had already eaten into the clear coat by the time I got it off. I tried, unsucessfully, to fix the first few, but at this point I don't even bother because it just seems to cause more damage.

I've never had this bad of a problem with other black cars, including other Lexus. It's annoying and seemingly impossible to prevent anymore.
As long as the paint surface is protected with some good wax/sealant/car coating, bird dropping should not be etched easily into the clear coat if removed promptly.

Probably your best bet is to use a machine polisher (DA polisher should suffice and it is safe to use) and start with a least aggressive compound such as what another member suggests about Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0. If not comfortable to use the machine by yourself, try to find a good local car detailer to do a thorough exterior car detailing and probably the clear coat etching can be fixed in the process. Also this is a good preventive measure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bird Droppings