IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cars Challenging Our IS350's In Streets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 05:41 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you all have to remember what mindset was established when they built this car. it wasn't for a 400 hp plus target, it wasn't for a mid light weight vehicle, it wasn't for going super fast in a straight line. it was purely for being a car that is fun to drive. the luxury aspect was more of an after thought. still, you have two models, a low end power everyday lux car, or a more powerful (not the most powerful) sporty lux car. it's not going to beat cars with 350 hp or more.. so don't even try it. just remember why you got it, you love the damn thing, you didn't get to race others.
Old 07-01-14, 09:09 AM
goshawk823
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bucanero

I just recently purchased an new Chevy 2500HD LT truck, so I had the pleasure of being inside a Chevy dealer... They had a Camaro with some ZL1 package or whatever in the show room. It caught my eye so I went over and asked the sales guy if he could open it up. Worst mistake. I would have left more impressed if I hadn't gotten inside the car. Ridiculously tacky and cheap, this from a 55k+ car. They called it the "Most technologically advanced Camaro" they have ever produced. That kind of blew my mind, isn't the newer more expensive vehicle ANY company manufactures supposed to be the "most technologically advanced car" they have produced? As opposed to least or less? Either way, the Lexus had a way better driver side experience (comfort and layout) than the Camaro.

#rant
Coming off two new Camaros, one a 2010 RS, and a 2013 2SS/RS, I can tell you that they are fun to drive, handle extremely well (partially due to the rear suspension), and have some technologies that are missing from my IS.
The interior of my SS doesn't hold a candle to the IS; people's biggest gripes about the interior of Camaros (and til this year, even the Corvette) is the amount of plastic it has. But it had an amazing HUD (not even available on our IS, and something I miss a lot!), the infotainment system, even in the first year, wasn't as buggy as the IS, and the Onstar system is better (IMHO) than what Lexus offers. (Again, my opinion).
With the automatic transmission, I had remote start built in, (not this bull**** that 2014 IS350 owners have run into with RES), and it would heat the seats or start the A/C depending on what you configured it to do.
The driver experience due to the low roof and tiny windows in the Camaro does take getting used to. But backup sensors, rear camera and well adjusted mirrors make that easier as well.

My SS on the highway, (If I left the AFM "Active Fuel Management" on) got better highway MPG than my IS350. GM hit the styling of the Camaro out of the park. The cues it takes from the '69 make it a great looking car, and, BTW, if you're into that sort of thing, the ECM on the SS is infinitely tunable. (I didn't want to void my warranty, so I bought a device that plugged into the OBD port to override the AFM (4 cylinder mode)).

What I would say is there's some folks that like the pony/muscle cars, and some that don't, just like some folks are turned off by the IS style, and wouldn't own one.

I love my IS350 so far, but I would also take a ZL1 any day as a fun car to drive. (supercharged, 500 plus horsepower? sure.)
Old 07-01-14, 09:20 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

from a practicality standpoint, the Camaro/challenger are oversized. both are tight on interior space considering how large they are outside.
Old 04-27-15, 05:48 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Originally Posted by sumohax0r
2014 IS 350 F-Sport here, I've had a few of these encounters with other cars, and I've had at least 5 people give me complements about it. It really is a head turner, but I do wish this car had a higher stock power to weight ratio. I mean they really sell it as a sports car, but with ~ 3700lbs and only 306hp it's slightly underwhelming. I've leased my car so I won't be making any upgrades but I would really like to see them consider a more powerful engine in the future, ~400-450HP would make this car truly remarkable on the track and the street, worthy of the F-Sport name.
They already do, its called the Lexus ISF...
Old 04-27-15, 07:39 AM
kamauxx
Rookie

I think its funny that anyone driving an IS250/350 thinks for a second that they own a fast car.

Continue being a snob because you have an "L" on your car but you should realize there is a large number of cars on the road that cost less than ours and will run circles around us.

Ignorance.
Old 04-27-15, 07:44 AM
RUCKER
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So which one is the faster, higher end model, the F-Sport? Or the ISF? And how do you tell the difference?
Old 04-27-15, 07:48 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

This is interesting - I had an IS 250 loaner for just a day last week and I was amazed by how BMW 3 and even 5 series drivers reacted to it. Running away from me (with ease of course) at stop lights and they would not stay behind me for even a couple of seconds on the road. It took me a while to understand what was going on. They don't react that way to my ES 350.

Dave Mac
Old 04-27-15, 08:50 AM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

2014 IS 350 F-Sport here also and I usually have the BMW 328 guys flooring it off the line when i am stuck at a stop light with them. Just yesterday i had a Mercedes CLA tailgate me on the fwy for about 5 miles to only pass me after with his flashers thinking he won something. Cruising at 70 mph the whole time so that was funny.
Old 04-27-15, 09:00 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 15' IS350 F-Sport always wins against my friend's 15' Dodge Charger R/T which was pretty surprising. Lexus never dissapoints. It can keep up with pretty fast cars.
Old 04-27-15, 10:02 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RUCKER
So which one is the faster, higher end model, the F-Sport? Or the ISF? And how do you tell the difference?
F-Sport is a trim package with probably some suspension and brake tuning but the ISF is the real deal.

ISF owners look at IS350 owners like IS350 owners look at IS250 owners.
Old 04-27-15, 10:43 AM
LexusFirst
Rookie

Originally Posted by My0gr81
F-Sport is a trim package with probably some suspension and brake tuning but the ISF is the real deal.

ISF owners look at IS350 owners like IS350 owners look at IS250 owners.
I wish Lexus make ISF for the third gen. However, they make GS F instead.
To me, there is no point to pass an higher trim level vehicle. This is not just for IS.
It is because we all know which car is faster in the first place.

I know some lower trim car owner THOUGHT they have a better driving skill by passing or going around you. In relatively, the higher trim level car owner would probably just tired of showing the fact or enjoying the smooth acceleration without flooring the car.
Old 04-27-15, 10:52 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusFirst
I wish Lexus make ISF for the third gen. However, they make GS F instead.
To me, there is no point to pass an higher trim level vehicle. This is not just for IS.
It is because we all know which car is faster in the first place.

I know some lower trim car owner THOUGHT they have a better driving skill by passing or going around you. In relatively, the higher trim level car owner would probably just tired of showing the fact or enjoying the smooth acceleration without flooring the car.
The difference between the GS F-Sport and GS-F is more than just trim level. The engine, suspension, brakes and differential are different too.

The same went for 2nd Gen IS. ISF was totally different car as far engine, suspension, exhaust and brakes were concerned than the IS350 F-Sport which was just a trim option on the regular IS350.

As far as IS-F for the 3rd Gen, the GS-F is the closest to it since the IS shares the platform with the GS and RC-F is also close to it, since it is the coupe variant of the GS platform. Either one will have that nice V8 engine and the power to match.
Old 04-27-15, 11:21 AM
nabizzy
Rookie

Car isn't fast lol, but it isn't slow either, its a quick little thing. But I didn't buy it for the speed, I just think it looks great. If I want to race I take the audi to the track, but in this car nobody really wants to do anything too crazy. And I put a loud obnoxious exhaust on it too lol.
Old 04-27-15, 11:30 AM
LexusFirst
Rookie

Originally Posted by My0gr81
The difference between the GS F-Sport and GS-F is more than just trim level. The engine, suspension, brakes and differential are different too.

The same went for 2nd Gen IS. ISF was totally different car as far engine, suspension, exhaust and brakes were concerned than the IS350 F-Sport which was just a trim option on the regular IS350.

As far as IS-F for the 3rd Gen, the GS-F is the closest to it since the IS shares the platform with the GS and RC-F is also close to it, since it is the coupe variant of the GS platform. Either one will have that nice V8 engine and the power to match.
I understand that. I was shopping between IS and GS. GS is big and comfort. However, the look of IS is much better TO ME.
I hope Lexus make the F line (Not the F sport package) to most of their models just like how Audi treats the S, BMW treats the M and Benz treats the AMG.
Lexus is doing it but doing very slow. We only got RCF and GSF for this generation so far.
Old 04-27-15, 05:09 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

There are alot of IS 250s in my area but not to many IS 350s, The guys with the IS250s are always trying to race me and usually I dont play along but recently I have been. I love the look on their faces when I take off only for them to see the IS350 on the back of my car. Great Times! I also for some reason get the dudes with the Honda Civics, the faces on them are even more priceless!

Quick Reply: Cars Challenging Our IS350's In Streets?