IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ventilated seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 03:46 PM
FolsomDude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ventilated seats

Are the ventilated seats in the non F Sport any better in the 31S than my current 2010? It was a toasty 113 here yesterday. Any improvement would be welcome.
Old 07-05-13, 06:02 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Its just holes in the seat. I dont know how much better it can get.
Old 07-05-13, 07:12 PM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ventilated seats are more than just holes in them. There is one or more small fans in them to move air through the seat. I have them in my 2IS but they are not available in the 3IS F-Sport only Luxury version
Old 07-05-13, 07:36 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTigers
Its just holes in the seat. I dont know how much better it can get.
What, just holes in the seat, there is more to it than that. What about the amount of air the system is pumping through those holes, where the air is being picked for those fans, the distribution between seat and back, and a few others. The system is dependent on many factors than just the holes in the seat.
Old 07-05-13, 11:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Some folks have put cardboard below the seat on their 2IS angled at the appropriate spots that can redirect air so the ventilation works better
Old 07-06-13, 07:25 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
What, just holes in the seat, there is more to it than that. What about the amount of air the system is pumping through those holes, where the air is being picked for those fans, the distribution between seat and back, and a few others. The system is dependent on many factors than just the holes in the seat.
Thought the perforated seats were "ventilated" seats. I always saw the fancy ones called heated/cooled.
Old 07-06-13, 08:17 AM
FolsomDude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Exactly and I have to admit my post was week. The Forth Gen GS improved seat ventilation over the third (not sure how) and I was really wondering if anyone has noticed on a Non F sport how effective the 31S seats are? So did Lexus use the improvements to the 4GS seats on the 31S?
Old 07-06-13, 08:32 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomDude
Exactly and I have to admit my post was week. The Forth Gen GS improved seat ventilation over the third (not sure how) and I was really wondering if anyone has noticed on a Non F sport how effective the 31S seats are? So did Lexus use the improvements to the 4GS seats on the 31S?
To really test the ventilated seats in a short amount of time (aka test drive or on a hot day), I was told previously that you can put the fan mode to "Floor" only so all the airflow is directed to the floor area and through the ventilated seats quickly.
Old 07-06-13, 10:25 AM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss the ventilated seats on my 2IS now that I have the 3IS F-Sport =(

I have the Executive F-sport AWD package and I realized it does not have power telescopic steering wheel (only manual adjustments). Oh well, the rest of the car is awesome and has alot of cool gadgets XD
Old 07-06-13, 04:33 PM
ISFNYC
Driver

pretty sure its the same
Old 07-06-13, 07:56 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HIDPH
I miss the ventilated seats on my 2IS now that I have the 3IS F-Sport =(

I have the Executive F-sport AWD package and I realized it does not have power telescopic steering wheel (only manual adjustments). Oh well, the rest of the car is awesome and has alot of cool gadgets XD
Is yours IS250 F-Sport AWD with Executive package in Canada? I read IS350 AWD F sport comes with power telescopic and tilt steering wheel.
Old 06-26-14, 01:11 PM
MrBlonde
Driver School Candidate

Reviving this one:

I have 300h with ventilated seats...it is summer now, and hot, so been using them for the last couple of days, even on the highest level, the effect equals pretty much zero*

Is everyone's seat ventilation as useless or should I bring it to the shop?
Old 06-26-14, 02:28 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my question, if anyone knows. Supposedly the 3IS seats (at least the F-Sport ones) are injected with foam as a final step rather than upholstery wrapped onto existing foam structure. Since it seems the foam is the cushioning provider, it would need to be directly under your butt and thighs to be comfortable. So, I'm wondering how air could pass through the foam? I'm guessing its most likely polyurethane foam, same as they use to insulate homes -- I don't see air passing through that. Maybe air only passes through the part of the seat under or behind foam, keeping the overall seat temperature lower? That seems minimally effective at best.
Old 06-26-14, 02:42 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

The ventilation on my wife's is pretty good. On the high setting, you can feel the air from the seat bottom/back pretty strong and also hear the air (fans) on.
Old 06-26-14, 03:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have black NuLuxe and the ventilation does help cool the seats when they've been sitting in the hot sun, but it's not overwhelming. I find them pretty equal in effectiveness to the ones on my RX with the light gray leather.

Quick Reply: Ventilated seats