IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

6 mo/5000 mile check up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 09:38 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 mo/5000 mile check up.

My 6mo is coming up in July and I'm planning to take my car to the dealer even though I only have ~3000 miles on my car. My IS350 F-Sport is holding up good and few things I'm going to have them look at are:
  • Brake Dust Issue
  • One of my steering wheel button (ACC) sits lower than other buttons making it harder to press
  • Minor scratch on the steering wheel

Anyone know how dealer would address these issues? Would they replace the brakes with different kind and replace the steering wheel with new?

Thank you.
Old 06-22-14, 11:14 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
My 6mo is coming up in July and I'm planning to take my car to the dealer even though I only have ~3000 miles on my car. My IS350 F-Sport is holding up good and few things I'm going to have them look at are:
  • Brake Dust Issue
  • One of my steering wheel button (ACC) sits lower than other buttons making it harder to press
  • Minor scratch on the steering wheel

Anyone know how dealer would address these issues? Would they replace the brakes with different kind and replace the steering wheel with new?

Thank you.
SonyHome,

The brake dust issue is on all of our F Sports... it happens on mine as well because there are "high friction" brake pads on the cars from the factory. The only way to resolve this is to swap the pads out with standard wear shoes but I don't think the dealer will do that for free. They'll for sure charge you to do that. I plan on swapping mine out with a set of standard pads once it's time to do so, when the current set of high frictions wear out.

The dealer should fix the steering wheel button for you under warranty. As far as the scratch goes, they'll also take care of that for you depending on how it got scratched in the first place. Was it there when you took delivery or did it happen by accident by you? Can you post a pic of the scratch?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-14, 07:53 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ancpratt
SonyHome,

The brake dust issue is on all of our F Sports... it happens on mine as well because there are "high friction" brake pads on the cars from the factory. The only way to resolve this is to swap the pads out with standard wear shoes but I don't think the dealer will do that for free. They'll for sure charge you to do that. I plan on swapping mine out with a set of standard pads once it's time to do so, when the current set of high frictions wear out.

The dealer should fix the steering wheel button for you under warranty. As far as the scratch goes, they'll also take care of that for you depending on how it got scratched in the first place. Was it there when you took delivery or did it happen by accident by you? Can you post a pic of the scratch?

Thanks.
Scratch was there from when I got it. It's very tiny scratch on the silver part of the steering wheel. Next time I'm in the car I'll try to remember to take a photo. I'm hoping they will swap the brake pads for free since brake dust is pretty bad.
Old 06-22-14, 10:30 PM
beeRandon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I drive mine way too much. Just realized this. I've had mine for 6 months w/ 10,500+ miles...
Old 06-25-14, 04:33 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by beeRandon
Wow. I drive mine way too much. Just realized this. I've had mine for 6 months w/ 10,500+ miles...
That is very high mileage. I probably won't get to that even after a year. I hope you didn't lease it for 10k miles per year.
Old 06-25-14, 06:00 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by beeRandon
I just sold my 10 year old MB CLK320 with 19,000 miles. Living on an island sure makes a difference.
Old 06-25-14, 07:00 PM
feartheyu
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SonyHome,

Unfortunately, the dealership will not cover replacing the brake pads that produce less brake dust at no charge. We do have high friction pads for performance reasons. Yes, the brake dust can be much, but it's the nature. Going to other pads can reduce brake dust, but reduce performance that it was originally intended. You may incur slight squealing in wet conditions, etc. It's hard to get everything in one package. Lexus does strive for perfection, but in the real world, some give and take is needed.

The button may be covered under warranty. Do you have a picture to post?

As for the steering wheel button, they WILL NOT replace the steering wheel. A minor scratch does not constitute over $1000 repairs. Warranty does not cover scratches/tears/dings/etc. Semantically speaking, does not cover normal wear and tear. However, depending on the dealership that you bought it, they may have a connection to a leather/trim repair vendor. They MAY cover or NOT cover the cost. It all depends on what kind of scratch, where it is, and what needs to be replaced, and cost before making a decision as to what to do. I can't promise you they will fully. This part is considered a gray area. If it's been there since you toook delivery, and you now have 3,000 miles...May not feel like a long time, but a lot can happen in those 3000 miles.

I'm a service consultant at a Lexus Dealership and drive an IS350 '14 F-Sport.
Old 06-27-14, 08:23 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
My 6mo is coming up in July and I'm planning to take my car to the dealer even though I only have ~3000 miles on my car.
Sony, holy **** mate! 3000 only? Jesus--you got your car before i got mine and i'm already at 9000 now.. of course i commute to and from work every day a little over 60 miles. but still i love driving that beautiful beast.. i don't know how you're so reserved with the temptation not to take it out all the time?
Old 06-27-14, 03:50 PM
hangandrew
Rookie

I'm probably the worst. I had mine since late October '14 and I'm almost at 21k......................I know it's terrible. Like super terrible. =/ 8 or 9 months...
Old 06-27-14, 05:03 PM
Celledral
Rookie

Remember you guys bought the car to enjoy and especially to DRIVE. Living by the numbers will induce insecurities and lack of interest to drive these awesome cars. My car is a TOOL, a very nice one may i say, and tools are meant to be used. UNLESS you are leasing, this will not apply to you.
Old 06-29-14, 09:46 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by feartheyu
SonyHome,

Unfortunately, the dealership will not cover replacing the brake pads that produce less brake dust at no charge. We do have high friction pads for performance reasons. Yes, the brake dust can be much, but it's the nature. Going to other pads can reduce brake dust, but reduce performance that it was originally intended. You may incur slight squealing in wet conditions, etc. It's hard to get everything in one package. Lexus does strive for perfection, but in the real world, some give and take is needed.

The button may be covered under warranty. Do you have a picture to post?

As for the steering wheel button, they WILL NOT replace the steering wheel. A minor scratch does not constitute over $1000 repairs. Warranty does not cover scratches/tears/dings/etc. Semantically speaking, does not cover normal wear and tear. However, depending on the dealership that you bought it, they may have a connection to a leather/trim repair vendor. They MAY cover or NOT cover the cost. It all depends on what kind of scratch, where it is, and what needs to be replaced, and cost before making a decision as to what to do. I can't promise you they will fully. This part is considered a gray area. If it's been there since you toook delivery, and you now have 3,000 miles...May not feel like a long time, but a lot can happen in those 3000 miles.

I'm a service consultant at a Lexus Dealership and drive an IS350 '14 F-Sport.
Thanks for the feedback.

Scratch is on the silver plastic piece at the bottom part of steering wheel. I'm assuming that part can be replaced with part that doesn't have the scratch. Scratch is so minor it's not a big issue but would love to get one without the scratch. Bigger issue is my ACC button on the lower right side of the steering wheel buttons is much lower (half the height of button above it) than the button above it. I would like the dealer to address this.

As for the brake dust issue, I didn't notice this during the winter but driving during the summer covers the wheel with brake dust. I wiped it with my microfiber towel and literally turn the towel black. I'm hoping they have alternative to this brake pad that gives good balance of performance as well as eliminating the brake dust issue.
Old 06-29-14, 09:52 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
Sony, holy **** mate! 3000 only? Jesus--you got your car before i got mine and i'm already at 9000 now.. of course i commute to and from work every day a little over 60 miles. but still i love driving that beautiful beast.. i don't know how you're so reserved with the temptation not to take it out all the time?
My commute is only ~ 15 miles one way and it's mostly highway which helps with ~26 MPG on my IS350 RWD F-Sport. I also try to work from home when I can so hence the low mileage overall. I do enjoy driving the car but I haven't taken it for a long drive yet. in MN I'm not aware of any long twisty road that would be fun to drive on like I see others have in their state.
Old 06-29-14, 09:55 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Celledral
Remember you guys bought the car to enjoy and especially to DRIVE. Living by the numbers will induce insecurities and lack of interest to drive these awesome cars. My car is a TOOL, a very nice one may i say, and tools are meant to be used. UNLESS you are leasing, this will not apply to you.
LOL. I drive the car everywhere I need to and this is the total mileage from it. Since I keep my cars for long time I'll eventually catch up to you guys.
Old 07-11-14, 12:36 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

So I had my 6mo / 5k visit with my dealer and basically they addressed none of my concerns. I've had much better service experience with Acura dealers when I owned the TL-S.

- Brake Dust Issue

Indicated it's normal. Not even offered to swap for one with less dust.

- One of my steering wheel button (ACC) sits lower than other buttons making it harder to press

Indicated it's normal. Didn't even offer to look to see if it's adjustable.

- Minor scratch on the steering wheel

3 different people at the dealership asked if car came like this like I scratched this and was lying about how the scratch happened even though it came like this. Service manager had to ask the general manager on how to address this but GM indicated Lexus or dealership won't do anything about it because it has been 6 mo since I took delivery. LOL. What a joke. I'm going to see if I can take it to the other Lexus dealer in town for my 10k. Honestly it's very minor scratch and I was really trying to so see how good of service Lexus had with this very minor defect that car came with and this indicates to me that Lexus dealer I purchased from has mediocre service level at best!

After all this they couldn't even finish the "6mo check up" on time even thought they really didn't do anything. They indicated 1 hour wait but it ended up to be like 1 hour 45 minute wait.

I'm happy with the car but NOT happy with dealer service at all.
Old 07-11-14, 12:43 PM
SCSurf
Driver

What's the name of the dealer?

Also good thing it was only a 5000 mile free check up. Take your car elsewhere. I believe the 10,000 is free as well. After that, I'd take it to some other auto shop.

Dealers have such a bad reputation. I really wish some of them conducted business a little better.

Quick Reply: 6 mo/5000 mile check up.