IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Car arriving soon...now nervous

Old 06-16-14, 02:38 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car arriving soon...now nervous

My dealer told me my car,which was ordered 5 months ago,will be here the first week of July...it cost me over 50,000......now after reading these forums, I am very nervous about all the dead batteries I am reading about...it would seem that everyone's battery dies at some point.This will be causing me to have an unsettling knot in my stomach each time I go to start the car up in the morning.The very reason I ordered a new Lexus, replacing my current 2009 Lexus IS, is because I want a car that I can rely on to always be dependable, that is always start right up at 6:00 each morning, as I head to work....the last thing I want is to have a dead car while I'm trying to rush to work.If I had known, then,what I do now, I probably would have skipped over this car, when deciding what new car to buy.My question is...are there thousands of IS owners out there, who have never had this dreaded battery issue? Should I not be concerned...are the currently made IS' having a different battery installed at the factory?....this whole thing is putting a damper on my excitement at receiving this new car...which I do love the new look of it.
Old 06-16-14, 05:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

my battery went out once but Im not 100% sure if it was related to a defect. Because the night before I was messing around with the interior lights. Havent had a problem since so Im leaning away from defect.
Old 06-16-14, 05:50 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

skip000,

I've got the IS 250 F Sport and I've not had any issues whatsoever with my battery. I am however just about to install my BlackVue DR550GX 2-CH dash cam but I don't expect any issues draining the battery with that hooked up since I'm also installing a Power Magic Pro unit to prevent any potential battery drain from happening.
Old 06-16-14, 06:13 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

No point in guessing what the chances are. Mine died for completely no reason. You can try to drive the car as much as you can, at least do not leave it sitting for a day. I'm surprise Lexus has not made known this issue or start to do any recalls. I feel like I got rip off......
Old 06-16-14, 08:37 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

9 months in 9000 miles never dead battery

Longest idle time was 5 weeks holiday

I wouldn't be worries though
Old 06-16-14, 08:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

No issues so far with mine either. 8 months, 5200 miles. I often leave the car for 2 to 10 days without being driven, and haven't had an issue thus far. Not saying it won't happen, but it's definitely not something that would keep me up at night worrying about it.

I have zero regrets about buying this car.
Old 06-16-14, 09:14 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

5K on the clock and zero battery problems. Issues with the radio/nav however, are different stories...
Old 06-16-14, 09:55 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

My car is almost 1 yr old no dead battery issue. I don't think you should be worry.
Old 06-16-14, 10:17 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Over 20k miles on mine, no battery issues as of yet.
Old 06-16-14, 10:35 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

7 months, 5,500 miles & several occasions where my car has sat untouched for days....no battery issues.
Old 06-16-14, 07:03 PM
Belex1
Driver School Candidate

Default No dead battery

I have had mine for 4 months and have 1,700 miles no dead battery. I just left it in the garage for 8 days straight while on vacation and upon my return it started right up. So no problems thus far.
Old 06-16-14, 07:16 PM
afdavey
Driver

Originally Posted by skip000
My dealer told me my car,which was ordered 5 months ago,will be here the first week of July...it cost me over 50,000......now after reading these forums, I am very nervous about all the dead batteries I am reading about...it would seem that everyone's battery dies at some point.This will be causing me to have an unsettling knot in my stomach each time I go to start the car up in the morning.The very reason I ordered a new Lexus, replacing my current 2009 Lexus IS, is because I want a car that I can rely on to always be dependable, that is always start right up at 6:00 each morning, as I head to work....the last thing I want is to have a dead car while I'm trying to rush to work.If I had known, then,what I do now, I probably would have skipped over this car, when deciding what new car to buy.My question is...are there thousands of IS owners out there, who have never had this dreaded battery issue? Should I not be concerned...are the currently made IS' having a different battery installed at the factory?....this whole thing is putting a damper on my excitement at receiving this new car...which I do love the new look of it.
The battery should be the least of your concerns. I would worry about cosmetic issues, rock chips due to soft paint, brake noises, nav issues, and the list goes on.
As close as you are, I would look to a 2015 model.
Your essentially taking delivery of a new /'old model'...
Old 06-16-14, 08:01 PM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the input

Thank you to all who responded to my concerns about the battery...I will no longer dwell on that concern...just hope for good luck and a problem free car experience!
Old 06-16-14, 08:26 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

shouldn't be nervous, should be excited! what's the point in buying a $50,000 car and worrying all the time?
Old 06-16-14, 10:03 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car barely had 300 miles. Had a micro crack on the heater core which slowly seeped coolant fumes into the cabin. Dealer said it was "normal" and that's how fake leather is suppose to smell. Burnt coolant.

LOL

No battery issues though. But I got rid of the car at 500 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car arriving soon...now nervous