IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Driving on S+ constantly...any potential problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 07:26 PM
jay631987
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving on S+ constantly...any potential problems?

Does Lexus intend for S+ to be used occasionally for when wanting to have some fun and on the track rather than driving it on that mode all the time? I'm sure this car is built for comfort first and sport car second. So the chassis and whatnot was really not made to handle vibrations from firm suspensions over long periods of time...In that case, would driving on S+ mode all the time damage the frame or shocks or anything else over time?
Old 05-29-14, 07:48 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was also thinking about this for awhile... I wonder if the improved body rigidity (from the laser screw welding, adhesive bonding, and additional spot welding) will help to prevent any problems from overuse of Sport+ mode.

Also, on a completely different thought, I wonder if anyone would dare to stay in Sport+ mode during the engine break in period..
Old 05-29-14, 07:52 PM
jay631987
Driver

yea hard to tell if that made it better or worse. If there is no give then something must bend if the shocks cant absorb the full impact. But still the car was designed with comfort in mind...AVS was added to this generation because that dude wanted to make it fun to drive...not sure how much serious thought really went into it. They did a bunch of track testing...but roads are never that perfect...
Old 05-29-14, 08:12 PM
nayuta
Driver

it should be fine honestly. The F-sport was designed to be a fun car first and foremost because Lexus wants to be relevant with the younger crowd. It's probably not going to be fuel efficient since Sport+ grabs the lowest gears for power but it really shouldn't hurt the car overall.
Old 05-29-14, 08:47 PM
jay631987
Driver

Originally Posted by nayuta
it should be fine honestly. The F-sport was designed to be a fun car first and foremost because Lexus wants to be relevant with the younger crowd. It's probably not going to be fuel efficient since Sport+ grabs the lowest gears for power but it really shouldn't hurt the car overall.
It all depends on how you drive. I drive on S+ all the time and I'm averaging a little over 22 mpg which is about the same mpg I got with my '09 IS 250. I just drive normal and the transmission puts me at 6th gear quick and at 2k rpm. I like the S/S+ mode so that when I need power it's there and the handling too...I'm just worried about potholes and bumps on the road since I get lost in the fun of driving and forget to soften the suspension knowing that a bump or road imperfection is coming up...BTW im going 75+ on the highway so I'm not sure if the car likes that...
Old 05-29-14, 10:21 PM
LexFather

The car will be absolutely fine. The car is not at the limits even when you think they are, there are tolerances built to protect reliability.

Quite frankly I wasn't aware of any other mode besides Sport +
Old 05-30-14, 05:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just lower mpg
Old 05-30-14, 07:34 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The chassis was designed specifically for sporty/spirited driving, so I really don't think stiffer shocks (essentially was AVS does) will harm anything, even driven daily.
Old 05-30-14, 07:49 AM
jay631987
Driver

thanks for the responses guys...I drive the same way on normal and I get about 0.5 more mpg...not worth driving on that mode. Not sure if you guys noticed but when you brake hard at high speeds...the transmission automatically puts you at peak torque.

In case you are wondering...i have to brake hard because idiots decide to change into my lane without looking and not speeding up.
Old 05-30-14, 07:49 AM
EffedSport
Driver School Candidate

i would think because the transmission holds shifts a little longer and the engine is revving such a higher rpm more often than usual, that it would put a little more stress on the engine.
Old 05-30-14, 09:21 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EffedSport
i would think because the transmission holds shifts a little longer and the engine is revving such a higher rpm more often than usual, that it would put a little more stress on the engine.

Not any measurable impact. Do not worry a second about it. There is no issue. none.

Mike
Old 05-30-14, 09:38 AM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it, you pretty much have to drive all the time like that to milk any power from this thing.
Old 05-30-14, 10:30 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jay631987
It all depends on how you drive. I drive on S+ all the time and I'm averaging a little over 22 mpg which is about the same mpg I got with my '09 IS 250. I just drive normal and the transmission puts me at 6th gear quick and at 2k rpm. I like the S/S+ mode so that when I need power it's there and the handling too...I'm just worried about potholes and bumps on the road since I get lost in the fun of driving and forget to soften the suspension knowing that a bump or road imperfection is coming up...BTW im going 75+ on the highway so I'm not sure if the car likes that...
Originally Posted by jay631987
thanks for the responses guys...I drive the same way on normal and I get about 0.5 more mpg...not worth driving on that mode. Not sure if you guys noticed but when you brake hard at high speeds...the transmission automatically puts you at peak torque.

In case you are wondering...i have to brake hard because idiots decide to change into my lane without looking and not speeding up.
Is your car a 250 or a 350? Because your mpgs don't make much sense to me if in a 350 in S+ unless you're constantly driving on the highway. Mechanically and theoretically, i don't see how that makes any sense that you're getting a minimum or average of 22 mpg being in constant S+. I drive in a suburban area 50/50 hwy/suburbs and i average 21.5 mpg with 3-4 hard smash on the pedal per tank, 97% of the time normal mode, 3% in S/S+. Your S+ holds you at lower gears and higher rpms, and higher shifts points, even if you're feathering the throttle you're still missing the overdrive of two gears.. so i am perplexed as to how you're getting 22 mpgs?
Old 05-30-14, 12:34 PM
jay631987
Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
Is your car a 250 or a 350? Because your mpgs don't make much sense to me if in a 350 in S+ unless you're constantly driving on the highway. Mechanically and theoretically, i don't see how that makes any sense that you're getting a minimum or average of 22 mpg being in constant S+. I drive in a suburban area 50/50 hwy/suburbs and i average 21.5 mpg with 3-4 hard smash on the pedal per tank, 97% of the time normal mode, 3% in S/S+. Your S+ holds you at lower gears and higher rpms, and higher shifts points, even if you're feathering the throttle you're still missing the overdrive of two gears.. so i am perplexed as to how you're getting 22 mpgs?
lol I came from a 250 to 350. My mpg has been slowly improving too with about 2k miles on it. You are right that it holds lower gears etc but that is when you want to drive spirited. When you drive normally my car goes into 6th gear right away and stay around 2k rpm...which explains why I do not gain much driving in normal mode...
Old 05-30-14, 03:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Unless you floor it and drive over harsh roads often, car can be driven in any of the modes without issue.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-30-14 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Driving on S+ constantly...any potential problems?