IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buyers remorse!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 03:25 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Spanked by a WRX? I kept up with the new STI the other day without an issue... As well as the new audi S4. Sometimes I wonder if people just guess this stuff based on the numbers. Now, a 335i would definitely pull on this car.
Old 06-07-14, 05:27 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power is fun sometimes in the streets, but most of the time I just want to relax and drive smoothly with the IS350. That makes this car both luxurious and sporty at the push of a button.
Old 06-07-14, 06:09 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i drove the chevy ss and while it had the power i am looking for it really lacks refinement of a lexus. it was also pretty noisy road noise wise, the exhaust was pleasant and its a nice car but for 47k fully loaded. i might bite at 37-40k
the stereo was weak and that was a disappointment but GM has a nice infotainment and the color head up display was nice.
i think if an SS was in my future i would wait and see if they put the LT1 from the stingray in it verses the LS3 it has now.
the good news is, if you wanted a good planform to modify there a lot of aftermarket goodies and tunes you can put on the LS3 to make it one seriously pissed off car.
Old 06-07-14, 08:01 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Spanked by a WRX? I kept up with the new STI the other day without an issue... As well as the new audi S4. Sometimes I wonder if people just guess this stuff based on the numbers. Now, a 335i would definitely pull on this car.
Define "kept up"? A race at highway speeds with an STI is playing to its disadvantage. The aforementioned cars would easily walk an IS350 from a dig with equal drivers. In fact the S4 and STI would walk the 335 in a race from a dig. The S4 and STI are easily high 12 or low 13 sec cars with good drivers. Of course anything is possible on the street.

Buying a car is all about compromises and trade offs in price, performance, efficiency, reliability, quality, luxury, sport, etc. I crossed shopped the 335 and S4 when I bought the IS. If $$ wasn't an issue I would have several cars to meet each driving niche. If I had a $60K budget I would have picked a loaded S4 and compromised on style and new tech. But I didn't have $60K and the IS was the best car for the $$ I had IMHO. Yes, I compromised on straight line performance compared to the 335 (and efficiency) and S4, but I gained in style, driving dynamics, technology and luxury over those two cars. The IS just had more than the other two at a lower price and I didn't have to worry about reliability.
Old 06-07-14, 10:19 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Absolutely spanked by an '09 WRX. 0 to 60 in 4.7 (stock), quarter in 13.5.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

The '09 Rex was faster than '09 STI and the current WRX/STI, and significantly faster than the IS 350.
Old 06-08-14, 02:22 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who all here really did not know there was cheaper but faster cars than the IS? If you answer yes than you really suck at doing your homework and you only have yourself to blame. Yes the STI is faster but if that is all that mattered than how come we have people who came from the STI to the IS? Once again, if 0-60 is all that matters to you than you suck at doing your homework. Should the IS be faster? Yes, damn right, but don't cry that its not ...all the moaning on this forum gets so damn old. I can almost predict who's thread it is just by reading thread titles now.

The S4 is faster than the 335i, both on paper and through road tests (yes drove both). Many believe the S4 makes closer to 400HP than the 330 it is rated at. It's track times sure support that theory. You're also going to pay for that increase in power, another tier in price. Fun car, if it had Lexus reliability and didn't have the worst handling of all the cars that I test drove I would have went that route.

The Cobalt SS is not as fast as the IS, period. If you are referring to the SS it is a V8 and it STARTS at $43k. So not paying that much for an American car, sorry. Only American car I'd consider paying a lot of money for is the Stingray. Might consider a Mustang (mostly the 2015) but everything else need not apply.
Old 06-08-14, 04:32 AM
s4awd
Driver School Candidate

I'm a power junky and have a ton of cars but would never give up the IS. It looks awesome, refined and handling that reminds me of my old evo plus awd for the snow. It's my commuter car but I find myself driving it more often than the others when going out. Yes it's missing torque but I actually like revving a normally aspirated engine and did I forget to mention the car looks great. Here are my other cars
Attached Thumbnails Buyers remorse!-image-1347207103.jpg   Buyers remorse!-image-949868180.jpg   Buyers remorse!-image-1343057836.jpg  
Old 06-08-14, 09:05 AM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
...and being as fast as a twenty-year old car is supposed to be acceptable? How about an IS 350 getting spanked by a stock '09 WRX? Is there comfort knowing that a FWD Chevy Cobalt SS will be right next to you through the quarter? Time passes, and engines become more powerful and efficient, but to Toyota, it's still 1994.
When that 20 year old car is an M5, most definitely. And getting more power per dollar is no surprise, if you're willing to start with a cheap FWD car like the Cobalt SS.

Time passes, and engines get more powerful, but the power/weight that is needed for a satisfying drive does not change.
Old 06-08-14, 09:15 AM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slust
If you are referring to the SS it is a V8 and it STARTS at $43k.
It comes loaded for that, though. It's not more expensive than the IS350, similarly equipped.
Old 06-08-14, 12:03 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Dizlex, you can multiquote all the posts into one single post. Just fyi. And another thing, your replies sound like someone attacked you personally. People just share their experiences with this car... And yes, slow downshifts from high gear to low, not from 3rd to 2nd and such. One gear drop is ok, but a few gears take too long to change. Cruise in 8th, then try to downshift to 4th or 3rd in manual mode, it takes about 4-5 seconds in total, and that's the point I was making.
Well, "literally no torque" is simply not correct. It is a "cammy" engine, as it must be to get 306 HP out of 3.5L NA. It's a trade-off, and won't please everyone.

As for "slow downshifts", doesn't Lexus claim 0.2 s manual downshifts (and 0.1 s upshifts)?

How about if you just floor it in auto mode?

It is a traditional auto, thus not as "sporting" is a manual or a dual-clutch auto, but, it seems to me, still pretty sporty, with the paddle shifters, fast shift times, and the option of driving in "sport mode".