IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buyers remorse!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-14, 07:32 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
the wife and i talked last night about this and we are both thinking about trying to downsize to just 2 vehicles the truck and a car.
she loves the truck but will drive whichever.
right now she drives the 2013 GS 350 F sport awd
i drive the IS as my DD
and the truck sits in the garage about 90% of the time unless i go dirt biking or it snows.

we discussed maybe trading both Lexus in and getting something really over the top luxury sports sedan. maybe an LS but i don't know if it makes enough HP to meet my goal. maybe a cadillac CTS-V?
5 series BMW?
this would move my price point up to about 70+ and we could just take turns driving it.

heres the other thing to consider. i have a 3 mile commute to the office each day it seems silly to have 3 cars for 3 different purposes.
if we could combine 1 car into the 4 door family car that has all the luxury and a big set of ***** to go with it i think that might be a good fit.
and the truck is pretty pimp also, after all it is a 50,000 truck with every option!

i dunno still considering options..
You could get a hybrid ( to balance the truck) a bicycle( to go to work) , also keep the fuel sucking truck for off road fun .
Old 05-31-14, 12:28 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wife and i talked last night about this and we are both thinking about trying to downsize to just 2 vehicles the truck and a car.
i drive the IS as my DD
and the truck sits in the garage about 90% of the time unless i go dirt biking or it snows.

we discussed maybe trading both Lexus in and getting something really over the top luxury sports sedan. maybe an LS but i don't know if it makes enough HP to meet my goal. maybe a cadillac CTS-V?
5 series BMW?
this would move my price point up to about 70+ and we could just take turns driving it.

heres the other thing to consider. i have a 3 mile commute to the office each day it seems silly to have 3 cars for 3 different purposes.
if we could combine 1 car into the 4 door family car that has all the luxury and a big set of ***** to go with it i think that might be a good fit.
and the truck is pretty pimp also, after all it is a 50,000 truck with every option!

Bass, if you're suffering from buyer's remorse now, driving a new 5 series Bimmer is not going to cure it. Crappy steering, middling driving dynamics, very little bang-for-buck. We all agree that BMW engines and drivetrains are unsurpassed, but the Bavarian engineers who were responsible for late model suspensions and steering must have been on drugs.
Old 05-31-14, 02:22 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Not to mention the 5 series is heavier with the same power so it's slower, or at best on par with the 3IS, along with that numb handling. And at that elevation turbo lag is definitely noticeable. Supercharger is the best way to go for a FI engine at mile high and above.

your right about the street racing, thats only part of it, although i don't do it often. but what bothers me the most is the car feels ok in sport mode, but won't use the upper gears unless you put it in manual mode.
so because i normally drive in normal mode its always lacking response and if i need to nail it and pass someone it has to shift from 8th gear all the way to 2nd and that takes time. that makes it feel laggy.
so its not entirely the engine torque, but its also the way its been programmed to operate. if i had more torque id guess the trans wouldn't have to shift as many gears and i also wouldn't be looking for the floor under the gas pedal when i just want to accelerate quickly.

its like my truck for example, i rarely feel i need to floor it, about 1/2 throttle and it downshifts 1 gear and has enough torque to get you moving. thats all I'm asking!!

but the IS feels lethargic all the time.
now when i drive my GS with the same engine and a 6 speed trans it feels fine in normal and even better in sport mode.
so i think its more of a combination of the additional gears and the lack of torque. i sometimes wonder if i had got the AWD version with the 6 speed if i would have been happier with it.
whats more my 2007 IS 350 RWD i never felt any of these issues with. thats why i think my theory is accurate. the 2007 seemed to come out of the hole from a dig with a lot more oomph and never seemed to lag much. the throttle was more responsive.
if there was a way to retune this cars electronics i think it would be something that could be fixed rather than redesigned.
So drive in Sport mode. Sounds like a mental block to me. Sport mode doesn't lock you into the first 6 gears, even in auto. It just means you have to go faster to get the last two gears (68ish mph for 7th gear and 85mph for 8th gear). In Sport mode most of the time I average 23-24mpg with 50/50 split driving. That may not be the best fuel economy but it is most definitely respectable. My co-worker's 2IS 350 used to get 22mpg when he first got it, now he gets 27mpg and he probably has a heavier foot than me.

In Sport I have zero problem passing people. I can see people smash their pedal, the lag in their car and then smashing my pedal after them I beat them every time. I can be in 7th gear (in full auto) slightly press the pedal monster and get a 10-13mph boost without the car even downshifting. With no lag it leaves everyone not already mashing their pedal in the dust. Sure I don't have an ECO light telling me I'm saving gas but when I'm getting 350+ miles per tank screw the light.

If I constantly drove in Normal or ECO I'd have buyers remorse too. At least drive with traction control fully disabled if you are going to stay in Normal. That seems to reduce the lag a little.
Old 05-31-14, 04:58 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. Sport and Sport+ modes are much more fun to drive in. But it really does suck gas. I've seen my avg MPG drop by 1 MPG just after using Sport+ on the on-ramp to merge in to highway.
Old 05-31-14, 04:59 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

i drive the IS as my DD

5 series BMW?

Whatever you decide, wish you the best!
Old 05-31-14, 07:04 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I to, have remorse. I wanted more power and a more flexible drivetrain, plus I miss some options. Still a nice car and no better car to sell, trade in a couple years than a Lexus IMO.

Still, the car has the Kevorka sometimes. It seems to have multiple personalities.
Old 06-06-14, 05:25 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

keep in mind i live at 6500 feet ASL and to put that in perspective for the 90% of the population that lives below 2,000 feet we loose nearly the difference between a 250 to a 350 in power.
you might say my 350 has a tad more power than a 250 at sea level.

i am just very frustrated! also it doesn't help the fact my last car was a 2012 Zo6 corvette! but honestly i just want more TORQUE!
Well, for Pete's sake. You should have bought a turbo-car, then, or another car with a massive V8. You knew about the altitude issue...
Old 06-06-14, 05:29 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
There is literally no torque in the IS below 4k rpm, and if the downshifts were instant, it would kind of help the situation, but it takes forever to go down the gears,
"Literally no torque" below 4k RPM? Really? Non at all? And it takes "forever" for downshifts?

You must be driving a different car than what I've experienced, which was plenty fast and quick to downshift.
Old 06-06-14, 05:31 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LH1
Have you considered the Chevy SS? 415 hp/415 tq, 4 doors and it's in the price range your looking at. If you can get past the vanilla Malibu look you might really like it since you clearly like GM V8's.
Nice car, and has a much-better-than-expected interior. 14 MPG city, though, and it does look too much like a Malibu.
Old 06-06-14, 05:36 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
IS350 has power enough to be called a sports car, but the IS250 is way too slow. In my opinion 5 seconds range is good enough for me.
Indeed. My mind boggles that people complain about a 4-door that goes 0-60 in five and a half seconds lacks power. It's about as fast as an early-90's BMW M5.
Old 06-06-14, 05:52 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Even the amazing LFA gauge is now old.
No offense, but gosh, what a surprise. It's silly. It's inferior to the normal gauges. I never understood the hype.

"New" gets old fast. "Good" is what makes for long-term contentment.
Old 06-06-14, 05:57 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Twenty years ago you could by an infinitely tunable twin turbo Supra,
For about $45k, or about $70k in today's dollars. And that without nav, 10 airbags, etc, etc.
Old 06-06-14, 06:38 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dizlex, you can multiquote all the posts into one single post. Just fyi. And another thing, your replies sound like someone attacked you personally. People just share their experiences with this car... And yes, slow downshifts from high gear to low, not from 3rd to 2nd and such. One gear drop is ok, but a few gears take too long to change. Cruise in 8th, then try to downshift to 4th or 3rd in manual mode, it takes about 4-5 seconds in total, and that's the point I was making.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 06-06-14 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 08:33 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The LFA gauge serves a very specific purpose meant to enhance the ability to drive -- you can gather rpm and speed info in one quick glance. Alfa used to put the tach right behind the steering wheel and the speedometer to the right where the nav is located now. The LFA gauge accomplishes the acquisition of info quickly and easily. That's its purpose -- and that never gets old.
Old 06-06-14, 11:09 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
Indeed. My mind boggles that people complain about a 4-door that goes 0-60 in five and a half seconds lacks power. It's about as fast as an early-90's BMW M5.
...and being as fast as a twenty-year old car is supposed to be acceptable? How about an IS 350 getting spanked by a stock '09 WRX? Is there comfort knowing that a FWD Chevy Cobalt SS will be right next to you through the quarter? Time passes, and engines become more powerful and efficient, but to Toyota, it's still 1994.

Quick Reply: Buyers remorse!